Grand Prix 2012 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Gentleman, start your engines

Despite it feeling only a few weeks since the season ending Brazilian Grand Prix last November the Australian Grand Prix is coming very quickly into view to start of a season which hopefully promises to be a lot closer than the 2011 season where Sebastian Vettel ran away with the Championship and had it virtually won by mid season.

Looking at testing and it is virtually impossible to see who is in the best shape going into the season opener apart from that Mclaren and Red Bull are the two teams in the best shape which really isn't surprising but the big surprise is the continual lack of pace from Ferrari despite a radical new car (the issues I commented on on a previous thread).

As for the midfield it is anyone's guess as all the midfield have all been up and down the testing rankings throughout the winter and it'll only be qualifying where we see a true reflection of where the grid is in terms of reliability. Without a doubt Lotus have had the most work to do after they had to make a major chassis change involving suspension mounts which meant abandoning one of the test sessions but that doesn't seem to have had a major effect on the team and with Kimi Raikkonen at the wheel it is hoped that they can challenge Mercedes after a fairly disappointing 2011 after a strong start.

Once again HRT are the joke of the entire grid as they once again go into the first race of the season without having so much as turned the wheel before after crash test problems earlier this year and it will be a miracle if they actually qualify as they failed to do so in Melbourne in 2011, but they could be joined by Marussia who have also had problems with their new car and have had to test with a modified 2011 car recently and they will also be struggling to even qualify for Melbourne which isn't good news for the team unless they can pull a rabbit out of the hat with the new car.

This seasons cars (apart from Mclaren) are characterised by the distinctive stepped nose due to new regulations about front wing height and this is how the vast majority of teams have interpreted this rule and it seems that only Mclaren are running a 'smooth' nose and it remains to be seen whether this was a correct decision and one that can mean they can challenge for the title after an average 2011 (unless you're Button of course)

For the British viewers 2012 is going to be a completely different viewing experience as Formula One is going to be broadcast on satellite television for the first time. When it was announced that Sky would be broadcasting F1 with BBC showing only half of the races (live) it was met with uproar from all quarters but as more details have been announced, many fans (me included) are rather looking forward to the full F1 package that is being provided this season with the F1 channel being launched in a matter of days!

For Galahads brilliant circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/melbourne-grand-prix-circuit-albert-park/

wont lewis have to start on old tyres?which is what he did his fastest lap on?
that might be a problem,hope not tho.

I don't know what you mean? The front 9 start on old tyres. Lewis handled his very well in the lap in my opinion. Wasn't ragged at all.

Hamilton did the fewest number of laps of the top 10 and only 1 flying lap in Q3.
Surely he had new tyres on for Q3?

I'm not sure. He came out again and was seen re-entering the pits as others failed to beat his bencmark, hence I would guess he went out again but could not find more time and only saved an in-lap on his tyres, but I may be wrong.

I suspect your right. Rosberg has a 10kph advantage over the Red Bulls in a straight line, the only teams slower in a straight line are Marussia and HRT.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Mercedes' superior straight line speed down to their F-Duct like invention? And is this thing not only activated when the driver pushes the DRS button? So the advantage in the race is not going to be as big as it has been in the quali (because you can't use DRS all the time during the race), is it? And there won't be any advantage in the first two laps (incl. start)?

I think the q3 times flatter Button as Lewis could clearly have gone a lot faster.

I am a self confessed Hamilton fan but do not understand the grounds from which you make that statement on this occasion?

Q1: Ham 1.26.800, But 1.26.832
Q2: Ham 1.25.626, But 1.26.663
Q3: Ham 1.24.992, But 1.25.074

In Q1 and Q2 Button was less than half a tenth behind Hamilton. Therefore, Hamilton never showed a big speed advantage over him apart from that 1 lap where he clearly hooked it up and Button did not. I do believe Hamilton could have found another tenth or two. For 1, im not sure if they're refuelled inbetween their 1st and 2nd runs in Q3. I think they are not and therefore Hamilton could have gone faster based on fuel. But also watching his lap, on Sky F1 they were saying he was a little cautious into a couple of corners and probably could have gained a little more. Saying this, Button said he lost a tenth on his run.

Button is always generally fast at Melbourne. More so than at your average GP and so I think he did a very good job baring in mind we all know Hamilton is very fast.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Mercedes' superior straight line speed down to their F-Duct like invention? And is this thing not only activated when the driver pushes the DRS button? So the advantage in the race is not going to be as big as it has been in the quali (because you can't use DRS all the time during the race), is it? And there won't be any advantage in the first two laps (incl. start)?

That is correct. However while Mercedes won't have use of the F-duct/DRS all the time neither will Red Bull be able to use DRS all the time. Therefore if a Mercedes does actually crop up behind an RB8 then the fact that the Red Bull has no DRS to defend coupled with the fact that Mercedes has DRS and an F-duct means there is a significant chance of being overtaken, especially when you consider that there are 2 DRS zones this year.

Hamilton did the fewest number of laps of the top 10 and only 1 flying lap in Q3.
Surely he had new tyres on for Q3?

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2012/864/
Medium-Soft-Soft-(No time)Soft, so unlike the mercedes the tyres would be in better condition, so if he goes for a, predicted by Gary Anderson, 3 stop strategy, It will be Fastest Lap Soft, No Time soft, Q2 soft and then mediums. Expert stratergy talk by me!

Did Vettel use an extra set of soft tyres in Q1, then use a used set to set his time? Don't think he went faster in his 2nd run did he?

Medium-Soft-Soft-(No time)Soft, so unlike the mercedes the tyres would be in better condition, so if he goes for a, predicted by Gary Anderson, 3 stop strategy, It will be Fastest Lap Soft, No Time soft, Q2 soft and then mediums. Expert stratergy talk by me!

On the pictures that were used when Gary Anderson was talking it appeared to be Fastest Lap Soft, Medium x3?

Found some very interesting comments by Webber, that reveal a lot that some of us already knew about why he seemed to be so far behind Vettel during the EBD era:-

Webber’s own performance was impressive, and as mentioned he still beat Vettel, which will be good for his confidence. The significant thing is that he feels a lot happier with the 2012 spec car.

“It’s pretty clear from winter that I’ve been much more comfortable with the car, but it’s all relative. I’m not happy where we are on the grid. It’s disappointing for all of us in the team that we’re where we are. It was good in the past to be there, the last few years we’ve had, but the bar’s been lifted so we have to press on and focus on how we can improve.

“It’s the tires a bit, but I started to get a handle on those at the back end of last year. I think the blown diffuser... The cars were very different, all cars not just ours, in terms of how the blown diffuser worked on the way into the corners, and it was very sensitive to RPM, and that changed the car balance quite a lot. These cars are a little bit more traditional. The blown diffusers were quite an extreme bit of kit, and I probably never got my teeth right into those.

a tenth maybe,but i think lewis could have gone yet another few tenths on those fresher tyres.
I think we don't know that! Lewis was going slower on his last run that's why he abandoned it Jenson was faster in the first sector and matched Lewis in the second sector he lost a bit in the tricky final sector, I know this because I had the live timing screen up during qualy I think people should stop assuming things..

Vettel's two laps in Q3 were within 1/10th of one another (or so it looked as I stared at the screen), so if Vettel had a problem it was definitely consistent

Back
Top Bottom