2011 Predictions

David Coulthard will mention Red Bull an inordinate amount of times during his first commentary.

Not Red Bull, Red Boole
snigger.gif

Cue Jez to admonish me for mocking DC's accent...

My choice for WDC: Webber, continuing the trend of first-time winners
HRT to vanish midseaon
Quick Nick wins his first race and is granted instant Sainthood, giving him not a moments peace around Christmas
KERS will be viewed as a curse by season's end
Moveable wings will be a flop
Prior to vanishing, HRT will have used 6 drivers
MS wins at least one race

HITS:
Alonso
Schumacher
Perez
di Resta
Ross Brawn
Giorgio Ascanelli
Jean Todt
Jaypee Circuit
Pirelli
ARW/DRS

MISSES:
Maldonado
Buemi
Force India
Virgin
Tony Fernandes
Martin Whitmarsh
Bernie Ecclestone
KERS

I'm not predicting anything, however I have noticed that a number of people have begun to think that Ferrari is looking a better bet than Red Bull. Martin Brundle has picked Fernando Alonso as his most likely candidate for WDC when asked during the BBC preview chat. Mark Hughes has Ferrari as top of his list of teams to shine: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9427653.stm. And when Ted Kravitz suggested people may be wrong that McLaren are know where and Red Bull and Ferrari are way out in front. Jenson Button replied very deliberately: "I would say that Ferrari and Red Bull are very fast".

It has been my feeling for a while that from what we saw in testing that Ferrari are faster and more reliable than Red Bull at present.

Ok I am very late to the party for this but here goes;

Bahrain won't be rescheduled but no-one questions the morality of returning to an oppressive dictatorship as the opening race of next season.

The number of actual paying fans (ie not media or people on corporate invites) to Korea can be measured using the fingers on one hand following a gardening accident that removed two fingers.

Bundle will say at every race and qually session that vettels car is called kinky kylie in a desperate attempt to trick us into thinking seb has something one may mistake for personality.

Pirelli will be 'thanked' at every race.

Trulli will retire at the end of the year.

Glock will become the forgotten man and start to get beaten by the hrt cars.

India will have a race, no-one will care, everyone will be very corporate and say what a great new track it is but caution that you can't judge the track until 2012 once everything is finished and that you can't right it off after only 1 year.

Someone will finally question the worth of having 2 races in Spain on such awfully dull tracks but neither will be dropped.

No matter who wins anything, certain commentators will ignore his actual record of race wins and say that Kubica would have certainly done better than them if it wasn't for his accident based purely on the pace of the Renault in pre season testing.

Edit; one more - Canada will turn out to be a very boring race with very little in the way of differing tyre strategies, will be won from pole.

Just thought seeing as we are at the halfway point in the season that maybe we should revisit some of our predictions.

I have to say some are so wrong it's not even funny (including mine!) but there are some that are eerily correct - this one from LifeW12 is very odd ' A monumental accident at Monaco'...

They've already started now I think

Here's mine:

One of the rookies to score points on their debut
The adjustable rear wing to be a huge success after inital teething problems
One of the drivers to retire mid season
A monumental accident at Monaco
The Yas Marina Circuit to remain the same as last year
Melbourne to post a loss of greater than 50 million dollars
Kubica to win 3 races or more
One race to be stopped at two hours
Kobayashi on the podium at Suzuka
Vettel beats Mansell's pole position record (14)
Bernie Eccelstone passes away
Valencia to be a vastly different circuit, not

I think most of my predictions have been fufilled by mid season

Di Resta scored points on his debut
The DRS has clearly worked
Melbourne did post a loss of 50 million announced 2 days ago
Valencia wasn't a vastly different circuit

Lets have a look at my predictions from earlier in the season and see how I've done!

Indian GP circuit tarmacked on Thursday evening of race
Pretty much!
Everyone to mention Jenson Button's smooth driving style
Of course they did - with good reason!
Schumacher to attempt to run someone off the road
Rosberg in Abu Dhabi is one example, I'm sure there's more!
HRT to change drivers, or fold
Narain Karthikeyan rescued this one for me!
Christian Kolles to lie about something relating to the above
Has he? I think so!
Seb Vettel to point his finger at the camera at some point this year
This is my most accurate prediction of the lot!
Kubica to finish on a podium in an underpowered Lada
Kubica to defeat Petrov
Obviously, not too much to comment on here, but NH got on to the podium in Malaysia as did VP in Australia!
Eddie Jordan's dress sense to be banned by the UN
Some day it will happen!
Kobayashi to overtake someone in a non-overtaking spot
He's not really had a banzai year, has he?
More than 20 overtakes in Barcelona + Valencia this year
And some!
DOF_power to describe F1 as boring at least 300 times
Well, he's not been here to do so, has he? I wonder if he'd enjoy this year?
World Title contender to bin it in the wet somewhere
Does Lewis in Canada count?
That picture of Briatore banned by the EU Human Rights (Eye Bleach) Comission
The EU have bigger problems!
Alonso to not shave massive eyebrows this year
Of course he didn't!
Points for 1Malaysia or Manor
Oops! Come on Heikki in Brazil! :cheer:
Nul points for HRT
Think this one is safe!
Lewis or Seb for QWC
Yes!
Lewis, Seb, Jenson, Nando or Nico for WDC
Playing it quite safe there, but Seb is in there
No home wins for third successive year
Well, can't really see Felipe changing that one!

Lets see how I got on then:

WDC - Vettel Correct
WCC - Red Bull and again
Rules regarding use of rear wings to be constantly changed until everyone is totally baffled nope, got that one wrong apart from a couple of "zone" issues
Front Blown Exhaust system to be banned for 2012 correct
Massa will be constantly in the press saying he still has what it takes to drive in F1 sort of but not really, mainly Ferrari doing the talking but you couldn't say that Massa wasn't in the press a lot :whistle:
Massa will not have what it takes to drive in F1 anymore and will be dumped leave by mutual consent at the end of this season Correct about his driving but wrong about him leaving Ferrari
Mclaren will have another season of hot and cold performances I'd say this was the case
Fernandes will win his case in court but the whole thing will drag on and on it did and in the end he gave it up saying that's what he wanted to do all along? what a waste of everyones time
Proton will announce that Group Lotus is up for sale before the end of the season not quite but it seems like it could happen later in the year
Force India will be the suprise package of the season with a couple of podiums They were impressive but not that impressive
Coulthard / Brundle will be the biggest mistake in F1 commentary since Palmer / Walker actually they weren't that bad
HRT will either be sold or close it's doors before the end of the season. sort of sold and sort of still going
Barichello will sign for one last year with Williams and Maldonado will score points by at least race 3 no sign of a contract for Rubens and it took Pastor until race 12.
Virgin and 1Malaysia Lotus will pick up points ROFL errr No!! (Well there's still Brazil I guess

All in all, I don't think I did too badly this year.

WDC - Alonso
Erm...
WCC - RBR
Success!
Darth Briatore to do somthing dastardly
Probably
Mercedes to be very competitive
No
Schumacher to drive into someone
Several people in fact
Some technical gizmo to cause uproar
Blown Diffusers
Ferrari threaten to leave
Not beacause of the Technical gizmo, but they threatened to leave a couple of weeks ago
FIA decide its probably best to outlaw it
Yep
FIA to say next season will be so much better
Yep
Lotus/Virgin to score
No even close
HRT finish the season
Yes!
Villeneuve/Stefanovic try to buy HRT
No, but someone else bought them
Bernie offends Indians
There's still time!