Grand Prix 2011 German Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It's turning out to be a strange old season

Mixed conditions and poor pit stops paved the way to an enthralling race, while it had one of the lowest overtaking figures of the year, it certainly showed that overtaking isn't the be all and end all of grand prix racing, however the two Mclaren drivers showed that overtaking can be exciting.

Of the runners and riders, Ferrari have made the biggest gain and maybe, just maybe, Red Bull have lost their monopoly over the top step of the podium and we might finally have a championship, however I'm sure I have said this after China and Canada.......

The curious case of Mclaren continued apace this weekend as they had no pace, found pace and then lost it again. In the changeable conditions at the start of the race, Hamilton and Button charged through the field until the dry conditions when the natural order reasertied themselves, however, it is hard to see how they really showed in fully dry conditions as Button lost a wheel nut early on and Hamilton had to fuel save for the latter part of the race.

Going into the German Grand Prix, Red Bull will understandably be favourites as Sebastian Vettel looks to extend his lead at the top of the championship as he continues in his quest for back to back champions (and the youngest to do so before I'm mistaken) but he'll have to fight off a resurgant Mark Webber who is finally challenging his team mate again after a slow start to the season after he struggled to acclimatise to the Pirelli tyres, he was also stung by the team orders at the end of the last Grand Prix, so you can't bet against him for at least a podium position next weekend.

Renault seem to have disappeared after a strong start to the season, Vitaly Petrov seems to have fallen back into 2010 mode after a strong start to the season. Nick Heidfeld has fared better recently and still features in the lower ends of the points, however a podium seems a long way away, a theory solidified as their side exhausts have had to be abandonded due to the propsed rules, however with the debate going on at the moment, this may not be the case after all.

Mercedes seem to have found pace recently, Rosberg is constintely in the midle of the points while Schumacher seems more like himself again, in more ways than one.......... But at his home grand prix, he will be keen to show that he still has it, along with a large number of German drivers, the most represented country on the grid, so many people will be keen to show that they are the best German on the grid.

Team lotus made it into Q2 again which is a major achievment for them and shows that they are getting closer to the midfield and their major goal of getting points before the end of the year so they can beat Virgin and Hispania.

This year we return to the Nurburgring as part of the deal is that the circuit alternates with Hockenheim, last time we were there was in 2009 where Mark Webber won his first grand prix in the Red Bull. In recent memory Nurburgring will be best remembered for the crazy race in 2007 where a heavy rain shower caused havoc at the start of the race and famously allowed Markus Winkelhock to lead the race in his Spyker, joining the elite of people who led a race in their first (and only race)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write up, see here http://cliptheapex.com/pages/nurburgring/

I thought it was a toss between Hamilton and Alonso for the win, both evenly matched but Hamilton taking the slightly greater risks. Had Webber retained the lead after the first round of stops, I feel he would've been passed by the afforementioned at some point. So McLaren get heat into their tyres quicker, Ferrari more gentle on the tyres hence making them last longer and Redbull probably had the fastest car overall.

Amazing race. I loved the last lap pitstop battle between Ferrari and RedBull. A bit of 'unusual' drama.

Thank god it didn't rain.

One problem for Vettel was the small-capacity Red Bull KERS system. He never really got close enough to make a move on Massa.

Unlike Massa earlier in the race behind Rosberg, when he had plenty of chances but didn't execute them well enough.

Think the race was great at the start, started off nicely, then it just dropped off, especially after the second stops.

One problem for Vettel was the small-capacity Red Bull KERS system. He never really got close enough to make a move on Massa.

I think the brake issue was probably more significant. He was right up Massa's gear box and took the escape route at one point after getting too close. Like Silverstone when he came up against Hamilton, his timing was quite frankly shit and he looked very indicisive.

After Qualification,....if you offered me second, I would have snatched your hand off.......

Good result in the context and how the car wasn't as up to scratch as led to believe.....distinctly the third fastest car on the grid yet both Scuderia Ferrari boys did very well.

Like Silverstone when he came up against Hamilton, his timing was quite frankly shit and he looked very indicisive.

We have already pointed this out, he got a much better drive than Hamilton, he had no where to go otherwise he would have bumped into Hamilton as it's a one car line through there....

I haven't seen either Red Bull driver overtake either, unless they are on fresher tyres. Their car is not built for overtaking, as Galahad has said their KERS system is not as great as it's I think 60% compared to everyone else's, and then there DRS is only 12kph. We saw Vettel have the DRS open against Massa most of the time, but he never really gained much distance. Until near the end when both of their tyres went off.

Button and Massa are going to have to do much better if the rest of the season is to be any fun. Massa drive well but that car could have been up front also if he'd qualified better

After Qualification,....if you offered me second, I would have snatched your hand off.......

Good result in the context and how the car wasn't as up to scratch as led to believe.....distinctly the third fastest car on the grid yet both Scuderia Ferrari boys did very well.

Top three cars looked equal today. That was a driver's race. No need for excuses or rationalisation. Best driver on the day won. This follows back down the front end of the top spots.

Its a bit harsh to say that Vettel is a bit wet behind the ears on one result....mind you a fourth as well despite the mistakes......RBR did not look on, Mark Webber will be spitting blood right now to know or realise that 3rd is really underachieving from the circumstances.

Top three cars looked equal today. That was a driver's race. No need for excuses or rationalisation. Best driver on the day won. This follows back down the front end of the top spots.

I was not denying that, though it is funny how it is seen to be excuses when we only have to go through the Silverstone Thread to find similar if not more blase remarks.

So may as well get it off,.....yes Hamilton deserved to win...was it a shock......after Qualification not really.

Back
Top Bottom