Grand Prix 2011 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So on to China, with the teams only having a few days rest after Malaysia. Last year Red Bull dominated qualifying with Christian Horner describing Vettel’s pole lap as “phenomenal”.

Come the race, however, changeable weather caught out both the Red Bull drivers and Lewis Hamilton as they pitted early expecting heavy rain. This left Jenson Button, who chose not to go in for inters, in the lead and he, along with Nico Rosberg and Robert Kubica who also stayed out on slicks, showed that it’s all about being on the right tyres at the right time.

The race should also be remembered for what looked like an astonishing start from Fernando Alonso. I watched it in an Italian hotel and the crowd literally went wild, only for the assembled throng to mope to the bar a few minutes later as Alonso was given a drive through penalty for jumping the start.

Button’s more mature tyre strategy won him the race, although he was under pressure late on from Hamilton, and the team scored their first 1-2 since Monza 2007 with Rosberg taking third for Mercedes.

2011 has been a Red Bull Fest, or perhaps more accurately a Vettel Fest, so far with the young German taking pole and race wins in the first two Grands Prix whilst his team mate has struggled with various car problems and, might I postulate, some psychological scarring from last season. McLaren are much closer than pre-season testing indicated they would be and Renault have surprised everyone with 3rd spot at both races and an ability to get off the start line reminiscent of the Benetton launch control system.

Ferrari are nowhere near where they feel they should and there will be many tired faces in their pit garage as managers and engineers flit backwards and forwards between Europe and the Far East trying to understand what is going on. Similarly Mercedes are still not even close to where they expect to be whilst Sauber and Force India are looking good for minor placings, dicing with the Toro Rosso’s.

Toward the back, Williams (it hurts me to say) look to have taken 1 step forward and 2 back with their new car and are now competing with Team Lotus to be the best of the worst. Virgin appear not to have moved any further forward compared to 2010 and HRT, despite no pre-season testing, look to have a car which, once a bit more sorted, might get ahead of them. I suppose the question there is can they sort the car?

Oh, I nearly forgot tyres. 55 pit stops in Malaysia, more marbles than a game of KerPlunk and rubber wearing out faster than Russell Brand’s bed sheets. No sign of the wet tyres yet, will Shanghai throw us a surprise (sorry, had to slip that in)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write-up, see here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/shanghai-international-circuit/

On that Brogan - which I completely agree with, a scenario sprung to my mind about Malaysia and made me question whether we can still call this racing as opposed to an endurance test.

A driver who started 4th in Malaysia finished 2nd. That same driver was overtaken but made no overtakes. Autosport gave him 9/10 and congratulated his superb effort.

A driver who started 2nd finished 8th (7th) mainly because he was racing the entire time and as such destroyed his tyres. He along with another driver were also penalised for what looked like a fantastic DRS free battle. These drivers were both given 7/10 by Autosport.

How has this happened?

Forgot to add, what dreadful bad luck for Petrov.

He was definitely in with a chance of being on the 2nd row before his engine problem.

And there we have it, just as I suggested:
Lewis Hamilton said he prioritised the race over qualifying in China after saving tyres in Q3.
"We are in quite a strong [tyre] position: the options I just qualified on, a new set of options and a new set of primes and a decent set of options as well," Hamilton said. "I just wanted to increase chances for the race because that is what counts."

Sigh...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/90763

I understand what you are both saying Brogan and Hamberg, but I'd say a few things to calm down your worries.

Regarding Hamilton at Malaysia - he didn't "destroy" his tyres by how he drove in the race, he kept his first two sets of soft tyre better than anyone and his first set of hard tyres, he just pitted too early and then went onto a used set of hards that were clearly worn from qualifying.

I don't think Hamilton is having to change his style particularly much in qualifying or the race to preserve tyres. In Australia, he kept his tyres better than Vettel and looked on the edge in the race until he had that floor issue and in qualifying. In Malaysia, he had a great quali lap and then a good first half to the race. His problems were due to poor strategy and then the fact he badly flat spotted and ruined his third set of soft tyres in Q2 and also had badly worn a set of hard tyres that he needed. If you remember, he actually went out for a run on hard tyres in Q2, even though he was only going to get into Q3 on soft, so he essentially wore out some hard tyres for the sake of having a run on them, whereas Jenson just did one run on soft. So yeah, Q2 was what wrecked his race and it was a combination of a poor choice to run on hards unnecessarily (by himself and the team) and also a mistake he made. Any driver could make a mistake and wreck a set of tyres in qualifying, but to me, that just makes it a bit more exciting. Unfortunately for Hamilton he inherently likes to lock the tyres a little and brake late and that doesn't work so well with these Pirelli's, but I still think he can adapt and be just as fast.

I think the whole problem is that Jenson always gets this tag as being amazing at saving his tyres, and Lewis the parallel opposite, when in-fact often Lewis looks after his tyres better than Jenson and is well capable of driving fast and looking after his tyres. Jenson wore out his soft tyres in Malaysia and Australia than Lewis and Jenson was only faster and latest longer on the hard because he had a brand new set compare to Lewis' worn set. Lewis won in Canada last year, which was the hardest race on tyres - he has to be careful not to lockup in qualifying because on the Bridgestones he could do that and get away with it, but on these he can't. I think that is fair enough though - locking your tyres is essentially a mistake.

You've got to remember Malaysia was extreme for tyres and I expect China tomorrow to be a comfortable 2 stop and I wouldn't be suprised if one or two drivers didn't manage a 1 stop. The only advantage of 3 stopping will be if you're stuck in traffic. Some tracks are going to be worse than others for tyres and so they will have to drive accordingly, but I think the tactical side of things definitely spices the show up, Malaysia was interesting and exciting. As far as Lewis goes, it was just one of those races and he was unlucky and had some poor decisions made for him. He needs to start making a few more decisions himself though im afraid, like Jenson seems to, because McLaren over the past couple of years seem woeful at strategy and rely way too much on numbers and not enough on the blatant obvious!

Brogan, I'd add one final thing about qualifying. I have found qualifying to be fantastic this year - way better than last year. It wasn't any different last year with the "big boys" hardly doing any running in Q1 and Q2 and then fighting for pole on Q3. Q3 was also dominated by Red Bull at almost every race, so again, that makes Q3 a little dull. But this year both Q1 and Q2 are WAY more exciting. In Q1, you have the 107% rule, then because you have a huge difference between hard and soft tyres, you have drivers trying to risk it on hards and other using up a set of softs. All in all, the amount of track running is way higher in Q1 than it was last year on average. If you look at Lewis Hamilton's Q1 time, he was only a tenth off being P17 - because he risked doing 1 run on hard tyres, he could have easily been in Webber's position, as could Button and even Vettel if he didn't do a very good lap in Q1. I think the intrigue and surprises are great and it is very tense. Q2 has then become very exciting because although some teams only do 1 run, they have to nail that run on the first lap otherwise the tyres usually are past their best so it is much more tense. It punishes mistakes more and generally shows up the best drivers. I have no problem with how people are having to in-cooperate strategy into qualifying to have fresher tyres for the race or to have a better race setup, so the car starts with under-steer but then gets better throughout the run. I imagine Ferrari will have done that and you never know, maybe Alonso could do a 1 stopper tomorrow. Having a race where some people do 1 stop, others 2, others 3, to me, makes great racing. Last year where everyone just did 1 stop then went to the end on a set of hard tyres, was completely boring. With these tyres, at least we can have fun, even if one car is way ahead of everyone else!

I'm not trying to tell either of you how to think or feel, but more give you my perspective on it and hopefully comfort your worries slightly, because I think there are many positives going on at the moment and hopefully in the European season when Red Bull are caught, the season will come alive.

Yeah I kind of meant he destroyed them over the race weekend. I still think a race where drivers who 'race' get penalised but those who pace themselves and let strategy do the talking comes out best should be called into question.

I hope you're right that it's an unusual situation but I have my doubts. And I still hate DRS.

I would hazard a guess by saying that qualifying excitment/action (q3 anyway) has been sacrificed for race action, not worth it though if Vettel scampers away again

I have gone to great lengths to turn Mark Webber's saboteur and can almost guarantee a different result. Unless of course someone else gets to him in the mean time... :moustache:

Q2 was a bit farcical at the end, they really need to look at putting a minimum time back on the clock if a Quali session is red flagged - something like 2x or 3x the fastest lap at the time of the flag ....

... would only affect sessions with late flags and would mean all those penalised by the flag would get a more sensible window to go again in!

Quali 3 is becoming a bit of an anti-climax with only 3 or 4 drivers bothering to try for pole and the rest doing one run to fight for 5th. :tumbleweed:

Think they at least need to look at putting back time on the clock from when in this case Petrov's car came to a halt! If say the red flag comes out & the time remaining is < 30 seconds + Pole time. Then reset the clock to current Pole Time + 1 min so you don;t have Wacky Races out of the pits.....

As for Quali 3 and probably qualifying as a whole, teams don't want to reduce tyre options so are not pushing as much. Nico said it on the track walk, gain a few thousands going into a corner, but screw it up coming out of the corner and then long term with your tyres. Hamilton said in P2 that after a lap his softs are shot.....these tyres maybe a little to bendy & wobbily for F1 as a whole......

Yeah, I was impressed by Lewis' decision - in the past he has always gone all guns blazing to get the fastest lap, but it's nice to see him thinking more towards the race. As you say, China's dirty side, is very dusty so he might jump Button at the first corner anyway.

Wonder if Hamilton thought smart & lifted on the final straight to get a time for 3rd & stay on the decent side of the grid?

I have to say Petrov should have pulled off the track, he should get a penalty for being an idiot.
Ahhhh but could he TV showed he lost everything & our Chinese stewards looks like they were pushing a car forward stuck in reverse.......

Question if you lose hydraulics (I'm assuming this is what he lost?), does the car as default, freeze to reduce damage & therefore the wheels don't move. Just you may find our Russian had some oppersite deja vu from Malaysia?

Vettel, to piss off into the distance on lap one - again.

Or Jenson to pressure Vettel into turn one and Hamilton to sneak up the inside (as I'm not convinced the RB kers works)
No spitfire Renaults to cause havoc this time into turn 1, I recon this could be a tactic they use. We have seen this before with Schuey & Irvine many years ago, the Ferrari's backing up the opposition to allow a teammate to rush on through.

I just for the interests of F1 and the developing of bringing new fans to the sport we see going into the 1st corner parts fall out the back of Vettel's car ala South Korea last year & someone else wins a GP, or else this thread will get more credit...

http://cliptheapex.com/threads/is-this-season-2004-in-disguise.2439/

If Sebastian weaves about as much as he did at the start of the last race, McLaren ought to complain. But they won't. :(

He can only weave once can't so with a McLaren in each wing mirror, he can only defend against 1 which of course will be Hamilton, to allow Button to stream on through.....

BTW, you can multi-quote just by clicking on the Reply link for each post.
All quotes will be added to the same editor window.

Back
Top Bottom