Grand Prix 2011 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So on to China, with the teams only having a few days rest after Malaysia. Last year Red Bull dominated qualifying with Christian Horner describing Vettel’s pole lap as “phenomenal”.

Come the race, however, changeable weather caught out both the Red Bull drivers and Lewis Hamilton as they pitted early expecting heavy rain. This left Jenson Button, who chose not to go in for inters, in the lead and he, along with Nico Rosberg and Robert Kubica who also stayed out on slicks, showed that it’s all about being on the right tyres at the right time.

The race should also be remembered for what looked like an astonishing start from Fernando Alonso. I watched it in an Italian hotel and the crowd literally went wild, only for the assembled throng to mope to the bar a few minutes later as Alonso was given a drive through penalty for jumping the start.

Button’s more mature tyre strategy won him the race, although he was under pressure late on from Hamilton, and the team scored their first 1-2 since Monza 2007 with Rosberg taking third for Mercedes.

2011 has been a Red Bull Fest, or perhaps more accurately a Vettel Fest, so far with the young German taking pole and race wins in the first two Grands Prix whilst his team mate has struggled with various car problems and, might I postulate, some psychological scarring from last season. McLaren are much closer than pre-season testing indicated they would be and Renault have surprised everyone with 3rd spot at both races and an ability to get off the start line reminiscent of the Benetton launch control system.

Ferrari are nowhere near where they feel they should and there will be many tired faces in their pit garage as managers and engineers flit backwards and forwards between Europe and the Far East trying to understand what is going on. Similarly Mercedes are still not even close to where they expect to be whilst Sauber and Force India are looking good for minor placings, dicing with the Toro Rosso’s.

Toward the back, Williams (it hurts me to say) look to have taken 1 step forward and 2 back with their new car and are now competing with Team Lotus to be the best of the worst. Virgin appear not to have moved any further forward compared to 2010 and HRT, despite no pre-season testing, look to have a car which, once a bit more sorted, might get ahead of them. I suppose the question there is can they sort the car?

Oh, I nearly forgot tyres. 55 pit stops in Malaysia, more marbles than a game of KerPlunk and rubber wearing out faster than Russell Brand’s bed sheets. No sign of the wet tyres yet, will Shanghai throw us a surprise (sorry, had to slip that in)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write-up, see here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/shanghai-international-circuit/

Hamilton is in a strong position really. Kept a set of tyres and is on the cleaner side of the grid.

Yeah, I was impressed by Lewis' decision - in the past he has always gone all guns blazing to get the fastest lap, but it's nice to see him thinking more towards the race. As you say, China's dirty side, is very dusty so he might jump Button at the first corner anyway.

I also want to add that Button did do a very good lap, although I reckon both of them could have found another couple of tenths, but Vettel was out of reach - obviously the cooler temperatures, new upgrades and the Chinese circuit suit that Red Bull.

Rosberg did a great performance for Mercedes. I still don't know how he got through Q2, was really touch and go. Mercedes have seemingly unlocked their car and taken it back to Barcelona testing performance. Ferrari looked quite shoddy though, although they may have gone all out for race performance.

The Force Indias and Torro Rossos also did very well.

Q2 was a bit farcical at the end, they really need to look at putting a minimum time back on the clock if a Quali session is red flagged - something like 2x or 3x the fastest lap at the time of the flag ..

Unfortunately the whole raison d'etre of this qualifying format is to create as many upside down grids as possible. It is times like this that the numpties that pushed for it jump up and down with glee. It improves the show, promotes overtaking and makes me physically sick, doubtless ticking all their boxes.

I thought the whole Rosberg/Clear track walk was very interesting when talking about how to take quali and not going into the corners as hard as you would have last year for fear of cooking the tyres.

Hamilton definitely was making decisions based on the race and there was some element of quiet confidence about him. I wonder if he'll do a Jenson last race and take it easy letting Button do the early first stint attacking pressuring both he and Vettel to push harder.

If that happens it will be a huge shame as F1 will no longer be a race, it will be an endurance run. I have to say I'm pretty upset that tyre management is now being hailed as more important than actual racing with Vettel and Button scoring highly on the Autosport ranking, pretty much for that reason.

I have to say Petrov should have pulled off the track, he should get a penalty for being an idiot.

I thought the same but he must have really been hoping he could coast back to the grid and it just conked out.

They called him The Finger...
s2220.gif

Vettel, to piss off into the distance on lap one - again.

Or Jenson to pressure Vettel into turn one and Hamilton to sneak up the inside (as I'm not convinced the RB kers works)

If McLaren can get one car ahead of Vettel and one behind by the first corner then they can really give him a good race. Even if they both keep their positions on the first lap then they have more options strategy wise. I'd say Lewis and Jenson would be willing to help each other out to try and beat Vettel, seeming as they know he will be so far ahead already with 3 wins out of 3. Maybe, just maybe, the young German won't have it all his own way tomorrow.

Unfortunately the whole raison d'etre of this qualifying format is to create as many upside down grids as possible. It is times like this that the numpties that pushed for it jump up and down with glee. It improves the show, promotes overtaking and makes me physically sick, doubtless ticking all their boxes.

Ever thought the FIA don't bring in rules specifically designed to make you physically sick. Don't think its personal!

I have to say Petrov should have pulled off the track, he should get a penalty for being an idiot.
lan, first of all, what happened with Vitaly’s car in Q2?
We are still investigating exactly what happened. It’s clear that he lost power and the engine died. We believe the air supply to the engine was cut off. It couldn’t be restarted and the car got stuck in gear, which is why he stopped on the track.

I would hope that Button and Hamilton work together tomorrow for one of them to pass Vettel. If you look at how slow Vettel went into turn one in Malaysia to defend- so much so that Hamilton was slowed and overtaken by Heidfeld from 6th - it is possible that one of them should have a chance.

If Sebastian weaves about as much as he did at the start of the last race, McLaren ought to complain. But they won't. :(

Well that was interesting/boring/disappointing.

For the fastest car on the grid to not make it through to Q2 is unacceptable; KERS or no KERS.

Hedifeld and Renault making the same amateurish mistake a few teams made last year.
Whatever happens you should always make sure you have a banker lap.

The tyres once again are ruining the show as far as I can see.
Everyone is just sitting in the garage preserving their tyres for the race.
Hamilton clearly doesn't like the new tyres and is making a conscious effort to drive outside his natural style in an attempt to preserve them. The saddest indictment of these new tyres as there can ever be.

Red Bull and Vettel once again stamping their authority on the season.
Glad I didn't get up to watch it live now - I may not even bother getting up to watch the race live.

Back
Top Bottom