Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

Lewis_steering_wheel.jpg

It'll be a big blow to him if Nico Rosberg takes a Championship.

Not according to his devoted fan base. According to some of the posts I read recently they "know" that Mercedes are gifting the championship to Rosberg.

The trouble is, Rosberg is quick enough to keep Hamilton on his toes and on occasion beat him fair and square. That's great for Constructors points but not so good for a driver fighting for a world championship.

Much like his father, if Rosberg wins the title this year he won't necessarily get the credit he deserves and there will be a section of F1's fan base who will be delighted about that.

The fact of the matter is you can forget about the other cars. There has always only ever been two drivers in the hunt for the championship so Hamiltons DNF's, Start problems and ERS issues have only effected his gap to Rosberg.

I'll open myself up to the hate then and ask the question, Hamilton is unquestionably talented but is he as good as he's made out to be? 07-08 he had what could be argued the best car on the grid and the last three years there hasn't been another car close. Of course almost every champion has benefitted from being at the right place at the right time but how far down the grid can you go and swap drivers and achieve similar results?

C_A_T

What I find amusing is that those same fans "know" that Lewis WASN'T "gifted" his two championships (even though human nature would make team management VERY keen on having the higher-paid driver win, thereby justifying his higher pay packet).

Logic has no place in the world of fandom of any kind.

07-08 he had what could be argued the best car on the grid and the last three years there hasn't been another car close.

On the latter point, yes. I'm the former point, there is no doubt in my mind that the Ferrari was a better car in 2007 and 2008. Had the red car contained a line-up of Hamilton/Alonso then I suspect both Constructors titles would have been uncontested on the track.

Lewis' grid spot had moisture on it so I think he launched at a lower rpm than normal to prevent spinning his tires, of course he overcompensated and had too little rpm. It's tricky because you learn these things through practice and there hasn't been too many opportunities to practice launching on slightly damp pavement. It sucks but the only way the WDC is going to the end is if Nico breaks and Lewis wins a race.

People really need to get a grip on the whole Hamilton fan base comments.

Lewis is a global celebrity. He has millions of fans that do not really even give a shit about F1, and therefore know very little about it. These are the people that post on Facebook and Instagram and Snapchat and whatever else there is. Holding them up as prime examples of Hamilton's Formula One supporters is just ridiculous. Anybody who follows the sport closely knows that it is absurd, and likely impossible, to have a team purposefully make an engine go KA-POW at a prescribed moment. When their ignorant suppositions get dragged into this site, where no such allegations have ever been made, it is simply maddening.

What I find amusing is that those same fans "know" that Lewis WASN'T "gifted" his two championships (even though human nature would make team management VERY keen on having the higher-paid driver win, thereby justifying his higher pay packet).

For over three years you've continually pushed this theory that Mercedes have favored Hamilton on the simple fact that he receives higher compensation than Rosberg. You've repeatedly claimed the Championships were pre-determined and therefore rigged. Now you want to act like all of Lewis' supporters are total morons who are unable/unwilling to see that this is all just a part of Merc's master plan. Toto and crew have been pulling all the strings behind the scenes the whole time, right? That's your hypothesis, no one else's. You are the conspiracy theorist Jo. You fall right in line with Facebook commenters because you are both suggesting the exact same thing, just from different sides. Literally the height of irony.

Keke

As is usual, you miss the point of postings entirely in order to feed your own preferences.

If you actually read the statement, you would see that I was not saying that Hamilton won the championships thru favoritism. I was pointing out that it is absurd to claim that Rosbergs would be due to "gifting' any more than Hamilton's have been.

Jo - Have you, or have you not, repeatedly claimed that Hamilton won the last 2 Championships because that is what Mercedes desired as their highest paid driver?

Artist - Hamilton has an enormous fanbase for a litany of reasons. Some people like him as a driver, some just like the man. I didn't think this was news.

Keke,

I agree that the facebook crowd should should not be held up as an example of all of Hamilton's fan base however, they are more vocal, especially in the UK, and highly protective of their man than the fans of any other driver on the grid.

The pages of this website aren't exactly over run with Vettel fans crying foul at the situation at Ferrari at the moment.

I do believe Mercedes have tried, at times to the detriment of the racing and even their own company image, to be as fair as possible to both drivers in the last three years.

Hamilton must be an absolute nightmare to manage at times but when he's delivered 3 constructors and 2 drivers titles so far I think the team can live with it.

I know he gets a lot critersm as he can be marmite. But i saw Lewis Hamilton went on ellen degeneres show (apparently biggest daytime show gets 4m viewers + 17m ish YouTube subscribers) getting upcoming F1 race huge publicity. But he is huge for f1 as he is the only one who is able be a "celebrity" as i cant think of another right now as max could in future. Who couldve taken lewis place

F1Brits_90 ..... Max may well become a great driver but he will never be a celebrity. Someone needs a certain charisma to become a celebrity and I don't think Max has it, nor do I think he wants to develop those characteristics. gethinceri is right, Button has celebrity written all over him, regardless of the era he raced in. I've always believed he would have also been a perfect fit during the late 60's early 70's had he been born earlier. He's one of the few drivers that will be truely missed when he leaves F1.

Back
Top Bottom