Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

At last Mercedes have produced a baseball cap that's sufficiently 'gangsta' to meets with Hamilton's approval:

hhvc.jpg

Between the ball cap and chin strap, he easily could be mistaken for Usher. Or a Compton gang-banger. Which, after all, is the whole point.

I wonder if the TR allow for a 'hoodie' driver's fire suit?

Lewywo4 - I think Valencia has been abandoned, they're off back to Barcelona. Not that Hamilton's reception will be very good there; he could do with a balaclava I think!

Having said that, he went incognito to his last appearance in Montmelo...

What a dismal race from Hamilton. He's gotta get his starts sorted out soon. And to poodle around behind your teammate who was plowing the circuit ahead was sad to see.

I thought Lewis did alright considering Merc messed his tyre strategy up. Pretty much kept with Vettel and Grosjean to start with.

He just got bettered by Hulkenberg in the end but that's always gonna happen on occasion

His race was scuppered on Lap 1. He should have kept RoGro at bay.

His radio transmissions were pathetic too. Never been more discouraged by a Hamilton drive.

Again I think RoGro was just on it today. It was a good move.

Think you're being a little harsh on old Lewis today KekeTheKing - I think his radio messages were getting more and more sarcy because Merc messed up his strategy.

Odd day when I'm defending Lewis and you're criticising him Keke!

I think we were watching a different race Keke. It was a really passionate drive from what I could see and the radio transmissions reflected that.

The starts aren't great but Merc lacked a fair amount of power and traction compared to others. He should have come in sooner when he told the team the tyres were shot the first time.

I thought Lewis was gonna fight for a win today. That race was essentially over right away. He's consistently losing places on Lap 1 now, which has never been an issue for him before.

Which suggests that it's beyond his control doesn't it? He has been way more cautious since 2011. You saw how quick seb was. The win was completely out of reach.

The traction issues are a biggie. The car has the power but it's not getting put down onto the tarmac. The car is therefore compromised at the start and on the exit of every corner except fast sweepers and kinks. I think Mercedes have done something to deal with the rear tyre issues they've had but seems to have resulted in this poor traction problem.

As far the race was concerned the biggest problem for Lewis was losing so much time when his front right was finished and he circulated for four or five laps beyond when he should have been pitted. Getting caught up with Rosberg and his track scoop was even further damage to his position in the race. The thought crossed my mind that the strategist who kept making errors for McLaren last year might now be in the Mercedes squad. I hope not but that phase was almost a farcical reminder of China 2007 (overdue tyre stop wise) and I was holding my breath.

His fight with Hulkenberg was titanic especially considering that he had to simultaneously fight off Alonso. One thing in that really stood out and that is how the Sauber was as fast in a straight line without DRS and a tow as Hamilton's Mercedes with DRS open and the tow. I assume that was due to the Mercedes having a shorter top gear and thus hitting the rev' limiter.

Last edited:
I think that the Sauber was set up for two things, qualifying speed and top straight line speed. They weren't bothered about race speed because the only way of overtaking nowadays is via DRS and with their top speed that didn't work either.

This seems to be a strategy which is on the increase now, Toro Rosso also use it with some success. Has DRS had it's day?

DRS is becoming a nuisance. Now the teams and drivers have had several years of experience with it they are setting up their cars in a way that negates the DRS, with choice of gearing, downforce and tyres dictating it's usefulness. The tyres appear to be creating the battles and overtaking opportunities. However, even that seems like it's more down to luck than judgement. What boots the drivers need to use up in qualifying dictates what they're stuck with at the start of a race. As you say Bill Boddy with regard to The Hulk's set up, for the most part the cars are set up best for qualy' or the race. Only Vettel and his Red Bull seem to buck the trend by being, more often than not, best for both Saturday and Sunday which is surely a factor in the teams' domination.

I was suprised that Lewis didn't hold the inside, when Grosean initially passed him at the start of the race. The ease at which Hulkenberg passed him on the straight, and Hamilton's lack of Speed even when applying his DRS against Nico, was suprising. A track like Korea with it's lack of use, starting from second place surely didn't help Hamilton's start, which has been at times problematic this season.

Back
Top Bottom