Current Sir Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton MBE

A place to put all the posts from all the other threads primarily but love him or hate him, and even for the indifferent amongst us this is the place to discuss the marmite that is Lewis Hamilton, to learn a thing or two about his rise, talk about those controversial, genius or mad moments and something that i am bemused by, the recent articles that suggest something quite different to my perception of what's going on. Any experiences of meeting LH?

Brundle had to write a Lewis Hamilton article recently and in my tweets (which were probably ignored) I asked him to talk about LH the driver not LH the personality. It seems that you can't have one without the other.

So as a starter for ten, here is a fairly recent LH article. Posts should not be limited to this link but it can get some discussion going. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/formula_one/13755883.stm

The only banned topic as it is clearly ridiculous involves these four things "Glock" "2008" "Brazil" "conspiracy"

Ethnicity has nothing to do with it lewymp4. It has more to do with his 'fans' total, and vocal, adoration and the perception that, although an absolute and stunning racer, he can't keep it together unless everything is perfect.

I would disagree with that - I was a great fan when he was in GP2 and tickled pink when he joined McLaren F1.

I don't recall anything 'untoward' when he was a GP2 driver, but do remember the unbelievable amount of pro and anti drivel that spewed out of certain forums once he joined F1, from race one in 2007.

One incident and, I believe, racism is common in certain sectors of the world.

I felt your post was more encompassing than a single incident and apologise if that was not the case and the instance cited was the total of your reasoning.

Racing drivers will always polarise opinion amongst the sport's followers. Lewis, along with Fernando and Seb are the three megastars of F1 and so attract more scrutiny where as other drivers down the field are generally more obscure. These are also the three drivers that are consistently fighting at the front each weekend and so the consequences of their actions are also greater and attract more scrutiny.

I don't think that the polarisation in people's views of Hamilton is a problem which is unique to him. When you are at the sharp end you will get some sharp criticism whether you win or lose or are black, white, pink or purple..

I don't like talk of Lewis' fans this or Lewis' fans that (same for any driver) as it is a gross generalisation that paints everybody with the same brush and separates everyone into tribes. I am sure that, as individuals, we all have differing opinions on drivers and that some will be more balanced than others. Making general statements about a particular driver's fans is not too far a shout from the defining facets of segregationism, discrimination and prejudice and is a little ugly. Well, quite ugly.

I don't recall anything 'untoward' when he was a GP2 driver, but do remember the unbelievable amount of pro and anti drivel that spewed out of certain forums once he joined F1, from race one in 2007.

There are far far fewer casual fans of GP2 than there are of F1 which could go a very long way to explain this. The less casual fans, I think, would be generally more interested in the racing qualities of drivers.

@ExtremeNinja - Generalising about drivers' fans is quite a long step from segregation and discrimination. A little perspective please.

However, it isn't very nice nontheless, so to everyone who does, don't.

The complete Lewis Hamilton bad luck championship:

Australia - Lost 2nd place due to Safety Car.
Malaysia - Slow pit stops.
China - Gearbox change.
Bahrain - 2 slow pit stops.
Spain - Low fuelled in qualifying.
Valencia - Maldonado crash
Germany - Puncture
Belgium - Grosjean crash
Singapore - Gearbox failure
Japan - Suspension issues
Korea - Suspension issues
Abu Dhabi - Engine/fuel failure
Brazil - Hulkenberg crash

Makes for such miserable reading - 5 races where reliability issues cost him points, 3 races where team errors cost him points and 5 races where the mistakes of other drivers cost him points,

I really hope that Mercedes can give him a competitive car, if not for 2013 then for 2014, but I just know that with Hamilton's luck Jenson is going to run away with the WDC next year.

He's driven brilliantly this season. It seems wrong to praise him and Alonso too highly, because it may be perceived as criticism of Vettel, who has also driven well and fully deserves his title, but for me, Hamilton may just have been the best of the bunch this time around.
Even if the move to Mercedes doesn't work out, a driver of his huge ability will still be in demand in two or three years' time.

I have to admit it has been interesting the way Lewis has talked about McLaren always being his home and that you should never say never over the last week or so. It does sound like both sides want to keep that door open for the future.

I have to say as well that the spontaneous round of applaus from both sides of the garage that he received when he walked back in was great to see, none of the supposed "strained" relationships that people have talked about in the past :)

Back
Top Bottom