Current Robert Kubica

He's fast, Polish and a bloody brilliant racer. To me Kubica is a special talent and has been very unlucky to not find himself in a top team yet.

The thing i like about Kubica is that he's a trier and never gives in say if he was third and had a sniff of second he'd go and chase the second place man down. He's a much toned down version of Lewis Hamilton IMHO he's great at overtaking (Austrailla 2009) exception and if he was in a better car i think he'd a won more races than the current 1 he stands at.

Kubica made his F1 debut at the Hungrian GP in 2006 replacing the injuried Jacque Villeneuve for BMW Sauber. He'd outqualified teammate Nick Heidfeld at the time and finished the race in 7th place only to be DSQ for been under weight. Since Kubica's first and only Pole Position came at the 2008 Bahrain GP, that same season he'd broke his winning duck and won his current and only race in Canada. Kubica has stood on the podium 12 times and in his 76 race he's scored a total of 273 points.

Sad news broke eariler in the year (2011) that Kubica had been involved in a Rally competition and crashed, his life was said to be in the balance, but he's slowly recovering from nasty injuries he substaned in the accident. It remains to be seen whether Kubica will return to motor-racing. But for me Kubica is a talented driver and if we do see him back on the grid i'd be over the moon.

Whether you like him or not Kubica is a cool guy and one that i'd like to see become Champion if he return's to the sport.

How do you rate Kubica?

Nowhere in that article quotes anyone from Mercedes saying that they will make an F1 car available for him,

"If there's any chance of getting him back in a DTM touring car or F1 cockpit, we'd love to do it," said Wolff.

He's been in Mercedes' F1 simulator, so they're clearly keen to give him a go to see if the possibility is there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22395082

Mercedes are helping Kubica and will offer him an F1 car to aid his recovery if he's able to drive one.

Benson: Mercedes say they will make a Formula 1 car available for Robert Kubica to try if he recovers sufficiently to be able to drive one.

Then quotes Toto Wolff not saying so.

Poor journalism feeding the wishes of the F1 Romantics.

With luck we'll see him in some touring car marque, such as DTM, but yes, seriously, we need to get over the fantasy that he's ever going to be in F1 again, at least as a driver. It's all very sad that a driver of his calibre is taken away from the circus, but IMO we should simply be grateful that he's still alive and seems to be enjoying his motorsport, albeit at a less prestigious level.

Sorry, but I don't think anyone other than Kubica and his doctors is qualified to say whether or not he can compete in F1 again and from the sounds of it even they aren't sure one way or the other. I don't know why people are so keen to completely dismiss any chance that he might have, especially considering he is competing in rallying and has spent time in the Mercedes simulator. Considering his reputation before the accident and his age I think he has a good three or four years yet until teams are unlikely to consider him even if he thinks he's fit enough. A lot can happen in three years.

He will never drive in F1 again. This has been my opinion since his accident, I have enough medical knowledge to trust my own judgement.

It's not really that people being keen to dismiss Robert's chances of a return and I think that, in the main, most are sympathetic to his situation. I've not detected any antipathy toward him either as a sportsman or a driver, so I think it's more a case of realistic expectations. F1 is not just a tough sport on the track it's also tough in the boardrooms. A few years out of F1 is an age in the sport and getting back into it is no mean challenge. Just ask one seven times WDC. Team bosses would, I'm sure, happily bask in the temporary glow of the positive "feel good" publicity from signing Robert up. However, they will want his signing to equate to a return on their investment. Judging by how other drivers are treated these days if he doesn't bring strong sponsorship with him that will be an additional problem for him. Personally, I think if we don't see him in a seat in 2014 then that's it. Another year out will surely be too long.

Having said all that we all know that "anything can happen in F1 and usually does".

... and you missed several out too. The tone is actually pretty negative as I read it - paraphrasing: "It's not 100% that I'm out". Definitely a cup-half-empty comment.

Before that he says there is no percentage to say whether he will or will not make it back to F1. It's just a matter of time and seeing how the arm continues to recover.

I'm sorry, post was meant to show how journalists are poor at managing their own comments. Kubica has not said that he will be back in F1, merely that he wants to be.

Found this

5640aeba79586240457406f52aa9a9c0_zpsb13a296c.jpg

Just a note to say that Robert picked up his biggest rally win to date last weekend, winning the WRC2 class (effectively the GP2 of rallying) of the Acropolis Rally by 90 seconds. He won the first nine stages consecutively before throttling back towards the end to ensure a finish.

Has anybody seen any in-car footage so that we can gauge how he is driving (modified equipment, use of injured arm etc)? I'm delighted he's doing well, though I'd caution on anyone getting too excited from a F1 perspective.

Reads like he's accepted that its extremely unlikely. As he says, and as I've said before, we need to be glad that it wasn't a whole lot worse.

Back
Top Bottom