Current Robert Kubica

He's fast, Polish and a bloody brilliant racer. To me Kubica is a special talent and has been very unlucky to not find himself in a top team yet.

The thing i like about Kubica is that he's a trier and never gives in say if he was third and had a sniff of second he'd go and chase the second place man down. He's a much toned down version of Lewis Hamilton IMHO he's great at overtaking (Austrailla 2009) exception and if he was in a better car i think he'd a won more races than the current 1 he stands at.

Kubica made his F1 debut at the Hungrian GP in 2006 replacing the injuried Jacque Villeneuve for BMW Sauber. He'd outqualified teammate Nick Heidfeld at the time and finished the race in 7th place only to be DSQ for been under weight. Since Kubica's first and only Pole Position came at the 2008 Bahrain GP, that same season he'd broke his winning duck and won his current and only race in Canada. Kubica has stood on the podium 12 times and in his 76 race he's scored a total of 273 points.

Sad news broke eariler in the year (2011) that Kubica had been involved in a Rally competition and crashed, his life was said to be in the balance, but he's slowly recovering from nasty injuries he substaned in the accident. It remains to be seen whether Kubica will return to motor-racing. But for me Kubica is a talented driver and if we do see him back on the grid i'd be over the moon.

Whether you like him or not Kubica is a cool guy and one that i'd like to see become Champion if he return's to the sport.

How do you rate Kubica?

Well he has a habit of injuring himself in crashes every four years - 2011, 2007, 2003 (road accident) - so he'll be fine until 2015*

*I really don't want to tempt fate though

He's cancelled his planned participation in the Azores Rally, reasons as yet unknown. I feel as if something is in the air.

Highly doubt it. Mercedes would have access to an F3 car, though. Something less powerful would seem logical.

Actually, to be 100% clear, following Rally Portugal Kubica said this to Autosport

"I don't know if we will go to Azores. We maybe have a bit of a change of plan."

Perhaps. The thing is, I don't think there is any way of simulating the stresses on a F1 driver when he's in a car out on the circuit than actually driving the car. There is no real way of knowing if Kubica is fit enough for a comeback until he actually goes out and does a few laps in an F1 machine. Something to keep tabs on anyway.

I don't see him in an F1 race ever again. If I get invited to sit in the Merc simulator am I going to join another team? First they'll have to lever me out of the sim ;)

What's that saying about mountains and molehills?

I personally think we'll see him in an F1/similar car at some point but I don't think it will be mid-season this year.

Just can't see him returning to F1. If he were in another teams simulator I would be more inclined to believe something was going on, but can anyone see Rosberg or Hamilton making way for him anytime soon? No chance. Whilst salmon are known to swim up-river, time and tide wait for no-one and he's been away for too long.

However, a Mercedes drive in DTM wouldn't be a bad proposition for him, methinks. So a visit to Mercedes may have had something to do with that idea.

Not knowing the story from "the inside" I have no idea of what the offer was, or whether it was Robert turning an offer down or if it was just testing the water. Reports as usual painted a muddy picture.

On the one hand it was RK turning an offer down: http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-ne...a-turned-down-dtm-offer-for-2013?artid=153871

On the other hand it was Mercedes cutting costs in DTM: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105636

So it's not entire;y clear whether a real offer for 2013 was ever on the table. However we can be fairly certain that seats were on offer in rallying before his Mercedes DTM test as he had a Rally deal in place pretty quickly..

Pretty much, yes. Every time i've seen him rallying on Eurosport, he always has his right hand in his pocket when walking round the paddock area. He's very keen on not showing a) how it looks and b) how much movement he has in it. Either that or he's playing with himself.
I think his rally cars have adapted gearchange so he can shift with his left hand so I doubt he could handle the forces of an F1 car.

Nowhere in that article quotes anyone from Mercedes saying that they will make an F1 car available for him,

Back
Top Bottom