Current Robert Kubica

He's fast, Polish and a bloody brilliant racer. To me Kubica is a special talent and has been very unlucky to not find himself in a top team yet.

The thing i like about Kubica is that he's a trier and never gives in say if he was third and had a sniff of second he'd go and chase the second place man down. He's a much toned down version of Lewis Hamilton IMHO he's great at overtaking (Austrailla 2009) exception and if he was in a better car i think he'd a won more races than the current 1 he stands at.

Kubica made his F1 debut at the Hungrian GP in 2006 replacing the injuried Jacque Villeneuve for BMW Sauber. He'd outqualified teammate Nick Heidfeld at the time and finished the race in 7th place only to be DSQ for been under weight. Since Kubica's first and only Pole Position came at the 2008 Bahrain GP, that same season he'd broke his winning duck and won his current and only race in Canada. Kubica has stood on the podium 12 times and in his 76 race he's scored a total of 273 points.

Sad news broke eariler in the year (2011) that Kubica had been involved in a Rally competition and crashed, his life was said to be in the balance, but he's slowly recovering from nasty injuries he substaned in the accident. It remains to be seen whether Kubica will return to motor-racing. But for me Kubica is a talented driver and if we do see him back on the grid i'd be over the moon.

Whether you like him or not Kubica is a cool guy and one that i'd like to see become Champion if he return's to the sport.

How do you rate Kubica?

Kubica had a lot of supporters in Budapest who seemed to think that he would be back. However, it seems more remote to me after every race he doesn't take part in.

I just saw on Autosport that RK just had another MASSIVE wreck in rallying. Supposedly a triple rollover, from which he, apparently emerged completely unscathed. Perhaps it's time for him to reconsider his rally career.

Kubica still lacks normal articulation in his right arm and wrist. Some sources have reported he still has trouble even holding a drinking glass in his right hand. The upshot is he is unable to manipulate the steering wheel in as 'compact' a fashion as is required by the dimensions of the current F1 cockpits. He has said they would have to enlarge them by 10-15 cm to accommodate him. If he hasn't yet found an orthopaedic solution to his range of motion defecit at this late date, it seems unlikely he ever will.

A couple of months ago, Pro Sports Magazine compiled a list of the 50 most marketable pro athletes, and Kubica came 49° on the list. Which has some holding out hope that some F1 team might be designing a 2014 cockpit to accommodate his limitations. Looking over the current grid, I can't imagine any of the teams taking such a gamble.

I suppose for Polish fans, there's no-one else. It is, however, nice to see that there are still Polish people going to F1 races despite his absence. Nice legacy, that.
The Poles seem also have their own discrete F1 tifosi infrastructure. Particularly immediately after the accident, when Kubica was most intent on being invisible, and news regarding his condition was at its scarcest, the Polish blogger at f1talks.pl was the most reliable source of info I could find. He still seems to have special access to "insider" information.

Back
Top Bottom