Qualifying restructured

I do hate repeating myself, so I'm going to quote myself from a moment in the past instead!

Quote from a BBC article: "We wanted to improve the show and we went in the wrong direction," Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff said" and, on the decision to cancel it, Mr Wolff added "It shows there is common sense in F1."
ROFL .... Oh Dear, Toto, you really need to get off whichever planet you ****ing inhabit and smell the bullshit state F1 is now in.
..... and to para-phrase a very old headline from a Fleet Street rag:
"Will the last spectator to desert F1, please turn out the lights"

Last edited:
Why??????? Who's forcing them?????? Which mad idiot is responsible for this stupidity.

>:(

F1 is now officially run by idiots and morons. You heard it here first.

That's it then, I'm off on holiday to a place where I would have to work to find anywhere to watch the race(s). I won't miss anything.

I will also be away over the weekend of the next GP, I would have made an effort to watch though, and I still may watch the race, but I won't bother for qualifying.

There is an article in the sports pages of our newspaper today, and I think the subtext is suggesting that this is punishment from Bernie for the letter that the drivers dared to write and publish.
In which case, it highlights just how stupidly childish the man has become, and just how much he's incapable of running anything anymore. He should be institutionalised for the safety of all around him.

Okay, so I'm confused, I thought on the Sunday morning of the race at Melbourne, everyone had agreed to scrap the elimination qualifying?

So are they saying the elimination qualifying will remain for Bahrain?

This because they can't agree to disagree with the new agreement to not scrap the new qualifying agreement?

How embarrassing is this going to be?

Bahrain is one of the most boring tracks on the calendar, add to it deluded management, pissed off drivers, stupid qualifying & a sport with fans leaving in droves.

This is only going to mean one thing, humility & sponsors taking note.

You couldn't make it up.

This is becoming 1 enormous elephant in the room.

ATL11

Yep - all the teams had unanimously agreed that they would revert to the 2015 style qualifying.

However, when they met last week to formalise the decision, they were given 2 choices by Bernie; either keep the 2016 style qualifying, or introduce a new style of qualifying, where the fastest in Q3 would be reversed on the grid. It was a typical, civil service trick - offer the illusion of choice - and then snatch it away!

ATL11

Yep - all the teams had unanimously agreed that they would revert to the 2015 style qualifying.

However, when they met last week to formalise the decision, they were given 2 choices by Bernie; either keep the 2016 style qualifying, or introduce a new style of qualifying, where the fastest in Q3 would be reversed on the grid. It was a typical, civil service trick - offer the illusion of choice - and then snatch it away!

@The Artist

Ermmm let me just run Bernie through the q3 reverse grid format & it's very simple. Would anyone go out? Post no time & your 8th therefore 1st on the grid, simples.

Why on why are they doing this to F1, starting to make me wonder why I should bother any more.

Hang on, oh crap, oh no, am I the next in a very long list of people who'll walk away from F1 after watching it for 40 years & go do something less boring instead?

Last edited:
This is the problem KekeTheKing , rather than addressing the fundamentals problems the rule makers are trying to engineer a mixed up grid. As exciting as that would be it still doesn't solve the issues at the heart of F1. Issues that have been there for many years now.

I'm not convinced that is the case anymore. The other PU's have unquestionably caught up a bit, and Lewis was unable to blast past a 2015 unit in the STR.

Mercedes do have 2 of the top 3 drivers in the field though.

Quali is likely to be a debacle, but I'll watch and see. I predict most everybody with a passing interest in F1 will.

... as they show their true speed by eating through the field like famished locusts and pull off yet another one-two :snigger:
But again like the Frankenstein overtaking push to pass rear wings we now have, isn't the mixed up grid just another Frankenstein option, trying to fixing the issue by mixing up the grid (but not actually fixing the issue).

If they want to do that, just have the leader in the drivers Championship start last, 2nd in the Championship 21st, 3rd & 20th, etc etc.

Is there a drivers union? Maybe they should go on strike. Mind I expect the childish and vengeful Bernie would sack the lot.

Was it the world motorsports council that decide on the rules ? and what the hell is Jean Todt up to these days?

Apparently qualifying did not change because it was not on the agenda items to discuss so it was not bought up

What this shows the :censored: petty politics that exists in F1. Off course they would not back down so soon having implemented the new qualifying format in a rush. They would not want to admit they got it wrong :facepalm: and hold their hands up:embarrassed:

Ermmm let me just run Bernie through the q3 reverse grid format & it's very simple. Would anyone go out? Post no time & your 8th therefore 1st on the grid, simples.

There is not a single person involved in any sport, worldwide, who would run a car in that situation.

I want to know how this man is considered the genius he is. He has never done anything but take out of Formula One, and (in his own credulous terms) alienate his customer base, while also diminishing his customer base simultaneously.

This is the 2004 Minardi. It is an absolutely diabolically ugly mess of a rear-grid car because it had a rotating list of sponsors sticking mismatched stickers onto the side of the car.
Tenner.png

Anyone forsee a similar problem for Haas? Or Manor? McLaren can hardly attract sponsorship! McLaren! The team of Senna, Prost, Lauda, Hunt, Hakkinen and Hamilton!? Running two of the most marketable drivers in the sport!

Cars can't run without sponsors. Sponsors won't pay without exposure. This is not football, rugby or cricket. There are 21 events per year; some of which are sparsely attended [Mr. Ecclestone's fault] and some of which scarcely promoted [by Mr. Ecclestone]. Few sponsors won't shell out for the 1m people watching their event on Sky, and certainly not if they can't even guarantee that the car they'll be planting the sticker on will ever appear. Aston Villa, Leicestershire and London Irish may be rubbish, but if they're on TV, their sponsors will definitely be shown.

Elimination qualifying does not make Manor more likely to appear! On their run, we watch Rosberg, Hamilton and Vettel jockey for position at the front of the queue and show the title contenders' lap. All publicity is good publicity? You want to ask Gerald Ratner about that - although looking at his press conferences, Mr. Ecclestone has evidently attended the Ratner school of image management.

His solution to minimal running in Q3 is zero running in Q3. That tells you all you will ever need to know about Mr. Ecclestone, aside from that time he bribed his way out of a bribery lawsuit.

Back
Top Bottom