Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

1994 - Schumacher goes off the road and into a wall breaking the suspension on his car. He rejoins the track and its clear his car will not be able to continue but attempts to defend his position anyway (or maybe attempts to delib take Schumacher out). Hill attempts to pass him on instinct but admits if he'd been smarter and more experience he'd have waited rather than diving down the inside. They collide and are both out.

2016 - Nico Rosberg is in the wrong power mode for 5 seconds meaning his exit speed on to the straight is slightly down on the car behind him. When I say slightly down I do mean marginally as it wasn't like the whole pack was catching him and swarming past. He attempts to defend his position. Drivers run out of room. Racing incident.

I can see why you're trying to subtly compare the two but (in my opinion) they are a million miles away from each other?

Has Alain Prost said anything? Maybe we can compare it to Suzuka 1990?

We're you not trying to compare? Sorry my mistake.

I like Brundle but I Don't always agree with him. It was certainly a 50/50 split between the Sky team on who was to blame. Croft, Lazenby and Herbert echoed what Lauda and Stewart said. Not sure if anyone has seen that footage. Sorry I can't post it here to give you all a look at the other side.

I think Hamilton's initial reaction says a lot. A double facepalm is not the usual reaction of a driver who believes his opponent just took him out. It's more a "what did I just do" reaction.

I'd say it's pretty obvious who makes a more compelling case.

edit - Crofty's live call was rather embarrassing.

double edit - Lauda spoke to the Media immediately following the incident. He was completely ignorant of the actual facts concerning engine modes.

triple edit - Lazenby never really gave his opinion and Johnny Herbert apparently texted something to Damon that leaned towards Rosberg.

Last edited:
They asked Prost about Japan on Channel 4 after the race and his response was along the lines of "totally different, the motivation was different and you can't compare the two".

Interestingly on how those inside the sport see things, Peter Warr wrote in his biography that he felt Senna made a legitimate move at Suzuka and Prost deliberately turned across him. It's a funny old sport.

I'd say it's pretty obvious who makes a more compelling case.

Obvious to you maybe. It seems everyone is 50/50 on this one. Hence why I think it's common sense that it's silly trying to apply blame to one specific driver(and other phrases that make my view seem more rational).

Lauda, Herbert and Stewart vs Brundle, Hill and Hobbs. It's a source war I tell ya.

It's worth pointing out that Hamilton closes the door on Rosberg in the run down to turn 1 in the same race.

upload_2016-5-18_20-58-33.png

He did quite early and when they were traveling at roughly the exact same speed.

The 17 km/h speed advantage Lewis had due to Nico's issues on the run to Turn 4 are what differentiate the two.

Rosberg had a speed advantage at turn 1 due to getting off the line.

You backed Hamilton well before the engine mode was publicised as well as in every other incident regardless of fact.

RasputinLives - Prost came down firmly on the side of racing incident.

Rosberg had a speed advantage at turn 1 due to getting off the line.

This is not correct. If you've seen the side by side onboards the starts were nearly identical. Rosberg benefited from the longest run down to T1 on the calendar and slipstreamed/outbraked Lewis.

Yes, and it is a great deal easier to achieve this maneuver when you're not closing at 17 km/h having already put your wing inside the other driver's tire.

Back
Top Bottom