Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

Yes, again in Sochi Lewis had a very average getaway, which may have been a factor in keeping him out of trouble into turn 1. If he genuinely has a problem launching his car, then Rosberg's looking good for another win in Barcelona, a track with not much to offer in terms of overtaking opportunities.

Maybe foolish to stick my neck out here, but even if Lewis gets pole I'll bet Nico makes it to turn 1 in front - assuming he's second on the grid. And if Nico gets pole I think he'll keep the lead.

Yeah Lewis was lucky off the start in Russia. He was set to be lower than 10th if they'd all behaved during the first few corners and he had't cut across turn 2.

To be honest if he'd not cut across turn 2 then Vettel would not have been round the outside of him in turn 3 and the second Kvyat hit might not have happened.

Yeah Lewis was lucky off the start in Russia. He was set to be lower than 10th if they'd all behaved during the first few corners and he had't cut across turn 2.

To be honest if he'd not cut across turn 2 then Vettel would not have been round the outside of him in turn 3 and the second Kvyat hit might not have happened.

I was astounded at how many drivers just drove off the circuit at T2 - most of them didn't look like they had any chance of making the corner! Once again, a case of if there had been a wall there, many drivers' races would have been over!

Well yeah but then again maybe that's why circuits don't normally have walls on the outside of first turns (except perhaps Monaco).

What caught my attention most was the speed at which those drivers who went wide at turn one were travelling at while they were off the track. Because of the layout of the track at turn one two and three they were effectively driving in a straight line from turn one to turn threeand probably gained several more places that way. I was surprised no-one raised that point during the race?...

Incubus

That was the point I was trying to make; I know that Hamilton and Alonso were spotted going straight on there at a massive rate of knots (and both gained 5+ places) - I also saw others doing it, but can't recall who they were...

At other circuits, similar advantages have led to penalties.

I wonder if they would have been penalised, had it not been for Vettel and Kvyat round 2?!?

The stewards tend to be very generous for at least the first couple of corners. It does get rather crowded especially when a couple of drivers are further back at the start than would normally been expected.

I believe that's why they put the marker point on that corner to make it more time consuming to come back on to the track. Hamilton was reported to the stewards for missing that on Saturday so made sure he re-joined safely on Sunday. There can be no complaints there.

I can't help thinking that marker point looked rather difficult to get the right (left) side of, and possibly a bit dangerous if travelling at some speed as it required aiming at the barrier.

I can't help thinking that marker point looked rather difficult to get the right (left) side of, and possibly a bit dangerous if travelling at some speed as it required aiming at the barrier.

My view has always been that if a driver exits the circuit, they should have to stop before re-joining - or should have to report to the pits to check that there is no damage to the car!

It is strange conclusion.
Hamilton was 9th after turn 1. I.e. he passed Verstappen before big incident.
In turn 2 he couldn't move by alternative line as and some other drivers due to blocked track.

Incubus

That was the point I was trying to make; I know that Hamilton and Alonso were spotted going straight on there at a massive rate of knots (and both gained 5+ places) - I also saw others doing it, but can't recall who they were...

Ricciardo was right behind Hamilton when they both, reentered the track.

To be fair both Hamilton and Alonso would have gained several places anyway because both had had excellent starts and both overtook some cars on the outside at turn three after rejoining the track, but the point is more about whether they would have been in that position if turn One had been designed to slow drivers down a bit more when they take to the run-off area, either through being forced to or otherwise. A bit like the exit of La Source at Spa.

Hence the return of the old debate about tarmac run-offs...

Last edited:
Well. It was going to happen. To be honest I really can't lay blame.

Lewis had so much more pace but turn 4 Isn't really a passing place.

Rosberg had track position but he did give him a chop.

Don't know!

Andrew Benson does have a very good analysis... The key thing is the lack of pace Rosberg had coming out of the corner; what I think it shows is the danger of
  1. The "harvesting" of energy on straights; this was identified as an issue before the introduction of the hybrids
  2. The danger of drivers not being told what engine mode to be in.
Personally, I would like to see a removal of all the variety of engine modes, and also a removal of this harvesting issue...

The Artist..... I agree with you about the danger of harvesting on straights, but drivers should know what engine mode to be in depending on the situation. Plus according to this photo from motorsport.com, Rosberg has the correct grid engine mode written on his steering wheel.

f1-spanish-gp-2016-mercedes-amg-f1-steering-wheel.jpg

Andrew Benson does have a very good analysis... The key thing is the lack of pace Rosberg had coming out of the corner; what I think it shows is the danger of
  1. The "harvesting" of energy on straights; this was identified as an issue before the introduction of the hybrids
  2. The danger of drivers not being told what engine mode to be in.
Personally, I would like to see a removal of all the variety of engine modes, and also a removal of this harvesting issue...

Why? That would just remove room for driver error.

When drivers make mistakes, they crash. That is an essential part of racing.

So Nico was defending with what was for all intents and purposes, a crippled car. Making the move he did with a car almost 20 km/h slower is fairly inexcusable.

And if Hamilton hadn't gone for a pass in such a situation I would have been even more concerned.

Rosberg has absolutely no right to feel aggrieved about what transpired in Spain. It was an utterly hopeless attempt to defend in that circumstance.

Back
Top Bottom