Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

I'm pretty sure Rosberg will end up in 2nd because Lewis will do some Senna/Berger Japan 1991 style presents for his old mate Nico.

(I'm sure he'll make sure its obvious though. Thats what racing drivers do)

There's three races left, plenty of time for Merc to play as a team and widen the gap from Nico to Seb.
I'm not sure the racer in Lewis would give up a win but a couple of 1-2 should do enough.
Now would be a good time for Lewis to play backup to secure Nico's place in the championship. That would be the sensible team thing to do - however as a fan I'd much rather see them sparring on track.
Let's see what happens...

I'm pretty sure Rosberg will end up in 2nd because Lewis will do some Senna/Berger Japan 1991 style presents for his old mate Nico.

(I'm sure he'll make sure its obvious though. Thats what racing drivers do)

Lewis is like Vettel in this regard. I don't think he would give up a win. He know he has to stretch his total career wins to create a margin over Vettel before Ferrari steps up even further.

Even Vettel gave Webber that win in Brazil that time. I reckon Lewis will give him one win if it means getting one over on Seb.

Nico only has himself to blame for losing the race, but if Lewis had thrown the cap to me like that, he'd be wearing it internally. He did it to wind Nico up.

Lewis wasn't trying to wind up Nico, and didn't throw his cap, but tossed it to him. At the same time, Hamilton handed Vettel his cap, who was standing to the right of him, who seemed to have asked Lewis if he had the right numbered cap. Rosberg stewing in the corner decided to throw the cap back at Lewis, who paused to look back at Nico, but decided then not to make an issue out of it, and just walk away. Hamilton passing Paddy Lowe, and tapped him on his shoulder as to say, that's alright Paddy, who at the time was glaring at Nico. .

Last edited:
Nico only has himself to blame for losing the race, but if Lewis had thrown the cap to me like that, he'd be wearing it internally. He did it to wind Nico up.

But surely by same token was he rubbing it in for vettel by giving his 3rd place cap

this might be harsh but just dont believe he's good enough to beat lewis in a straight fight, but dont get me wrong i do think he's a good driver but probably in the 2nd tier of drivers with kimi massa kyvat. But he couldnt take advantage of Lewis's 3 mth run of bad luck so this was always going to be bigger struggle. I just it wouldn't surprise me if this was rosberg final season at merc before max, pascal or another took his seat after finishing a distant 2nd to the duelling lewis & seb

I just it wouldn't surprise me if this was rosberg final season at merc before max, pascal or another took his seat after finishing a distant 2nd to the duelling lewis & seb

I don't think so. Rosberg has a contract for the next 2 seasons, and Mercedes are not a bunch of punks.

Nico could easily beat Lewis next season. Were Ferrari and Vettel to mount a more concerted and season long assault on the Championship the increased pressure on Mercedes will reveal more of their strategic flaws. Lewis appears to be more susceptible to crap strategy calls by the team. Lousy strategy calls and pressure on reliability will open opportunities for a less volatile driver to exploit.

Just a thought...

Last edited:
As far as I can see Nico 's action was what you would expect if you feel so deflated and was wondering how it all happened. He did not expect the cap to be thrown at him so reacted the way he did

Lewis on the other hand was on cloud nine and got carried away with his jubilation which maybe viewed as rubbing it on somewhat.

Having said that it was Nico's actions on the podium that spoke volumes somewhat..maybe if he did a Roger Federer and broke down in tears he may have earned more sympathy

Nico could easily beat Lewis next season. Were Ferrari and Vettel to mount a more concerted and season long assault on the Championship the increased pressure on Mercedes will reveal more of their strategic flaws. Lewis appears to be more susceptible to crap strategy calls by the team. Lousy strategy calls and pressure on reliability will open opportunities for a less volatile driver to exploit.

Just a thought...

I disagree. I believe it was the last year for Nico to win, mainly because he proved many times these last two years he isn't strong enough in his head, and this was (hopefully) the last year of the Mercs domination. With Vettel pushing really hard, if the Ferrari are that good next year, Rosberg shouldn't count on crappy calls to win. And I do hope that Mercs are gonna work on the strategy part. If guys like us can see it's their biggest flaw, surely they also know that.
With Ferrari at a good level, they don't have that much room for manoeuvre.

Nico could easily beat Lewis next season

not a chance!

Lewis appears to be more susceptible to crap strategy calls by the team

More susceptible is pushing it. More noticeable I would say. As Merc's strategy is done by the same people the only way one driver woould be more susceptible to strategy calls than the other would be if the team had some sort of preference and I don't think you are suggesting that. If it had been Hamilton/Rosberg on Sunday instead of Rosberg/Hamilton I think it would have been Rosberg who was left out.

I would say Hamilton tends to be vulnerable to strategy mix up because he tends to rely on the team to make the call and most notably in changeable conditions

I would say Hamilton tends to be vulnerable to strategy mix up because he tends to rely on the team to make the call and most notably in changeable conditions

Though he called a blinder at Silverstone.

I think Merc are weak in this department and It needs sorting. They need a Ros Brawn, or at least a strategist looking out specifically for the one driver. One strategist looking out for two drivers and the best interests of the team as well doesn't work. And I think it probably leads to undermining the confidence of the drivers in the accuracy of the call they are getting, or rather whether that call is in their best interests.

lewis does seem to have fallen foul of poor strategy calls more than Nico. But I don't think that's a deliberate thing on the part of the team, I think it's a a result of having just one strategist. Neither do I think it's how the drivers deal with the calls they're given. More Id say down to the luck of the draw.

racecub I do feel sometimes Lewis needs to be the one to be assertive in these instances

but then again Rosberg is not great either having witnessed the call at Hungary

Funny how the race where Hamilton could have lost the lead turned out to be a critical turning point given Rosberg did not seize the initiative

I do agree Ross Brawn would help immensely

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom