Head To Head Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton

They seemed to liken it to Maldonado, despite Maldonado making no attempt to avoid and Hamilton's steering wheel pointing the opposite direction.

Him, Maldonado and Perez have a reputation now. They should treat safety car restart laps like lap one.

Edit: they being FIA

Last edited:
I thought it was fairly clear why Hamilton got the penalty. Smashing into the side of a competitor and damaging their car is ample grounds for a penalty as far as I'm concerned, the fact that this happened because of an error on Hamilton's part is entirely besides the point.

It is true that the Stewards are massively inconsistent though. If the Hamilton/Ricciardo contact had merely been wheel-to-wheel contact, with no resultant damage or spin then they would probably have filed it under "racing incident". The outcome of the incident seems to be as much of a factor as the incident itself when it comes to penalties, but that still leaves examples like Rosberg/Hamilton at Spa and Ricciardo/Rosberg last race where one driver completely wrecks the other guys race yet gets off Scott free.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with you.

The fact of the matter is that cars are hitting each other these days in ways that years ago would have, in the very least, injured the driver and wrecked the car. That said, it doesn't change the fact that drivers don't want to hit each other on the track and screw their race up.

Ricciardo pulled off a ballsy move, Hamilton tried to defend, locked up and slid. Shit happens. All this tosh about causing an avoidable accident is rubbish. At what point is a driver supposed to just leap out of the way? What's the margin of error? Is wheel banging dangerous or is 'rubbing racing' as the tin top drivers are happy to point out?

The outcome of the incident seems to be as much of a factor as the incident itself when it comes to penalties

I think by and large this has often been the case, which makes Hamilton's penalty even more curious. Ricciardo was relatively unaffected by the incident whereas Lewis lost several positions and was forced to pit for a new wing, falling even further back.

I'm really not too concerned about this one though, but I do think there are quite a few drivers that would have gotten the benefit of the doubt when locking up on a restart, especially when the other car comes out unscathed.

Given the final result in Hungary Lewis must believe the gods are on his side this season. The resigned note in his voice when told about the drive through was very telling but after a really crappy race he still comes out leading the championship. Lucky boy.

It's not like he has a choice.

I highly suspect there is a large element of the human factor involved when any incident involving Hamilton is investigated now.
Just as there is with Maldonado and others who have a reputation; whether that is a deserved reputation or not.

It would be very interesting to see how a panel of stewards would award penalties if the video consisted of black cutouts and the telemetry was anonymous.

We also heard Lewis trying to blame Rosberg for a first lap incident where he went off though where clearly he'd been too ambitious.

I guess each coin has two sides.

Well I guess Lewis called the incidents as he saw them . The first incident he felt Rosberg moved more than once. The second incident he felt was entirely his own error. Because he accepts guilt for one incident doesn't mean he has to put his hand up every time whether he thinks it's his fault or not.

Yeah but trying to blame his team mate on the radio (over the course of 2 laps by the sounds of things) for an over adventeroys move at a place no one usually passes is not cricket.

Its ok for Hamilton to be in the wrong sometime ya know racecub. He is only human.

Back
Top Bottom