Jenson Button

Arguably the best ever driver in mixed conditions, all his wins at Mclaren have come in those conditions. His last race win in the dry came at the 2009 Turkish GP.

Button is known for his smooth driving style and is normally seen in must races doing one less stop than his rivals for tyres.

Buttons also know to be a bit of a practical joker and will take part in anything fun.

Since his debut in 2000 Button has won the majority of hearts in this country. But what is your favourite JB win?

Mine has to be Hungaroring 2006, in argubly a midfield team and he won the race in those mixed conditions to take his first win. I can remember James Allen been in tears almost and that was the first race Anthony Davidson ever commentated on.

I take your point about the half-second in quali Ray :dontmentionit:

And TBY is probably right too - I still don't think either McLaren would have beaten Vettel yesterday (much as it pains me to admit it) - you only had to look at the difficulties Lewis had in getting past Schumi, and Jenson had to wait until Alonso was on the less-fancied-by-Ferrari Medium tyres before he was able to get past.

At the end of the day, when all is said and done, and all variables are taken carefully into consideration, at the fullness of time, and in my most humble opinion - it's all just Motor-Racing really. If we knew for definite how each race was going to pan out, there would be little point in watching, would there? :goodday:

Please

Read my post again, I did not mention bankrolled, I said eased the way e.g. starting with karts

A baby of 1 month already has certain traits that it will have at 31, no one is perfect but I prefer those drivers that wear hearts on sleeves over those that scheme and behave in non altruistic mode always

I prefer the fact that some drivers with hearts in the right place come second instead of drivers who scheme their way to first.

There is no level playing field so I understand why some scheme and plot, hats off to them, I just don't like them as much

Please do not drag me into a squabble about this, I respect Jenson and all of you

How does Jenson scheme and plot? I don't get it.

How does Jenson scheme and plot? I don't get it.

Where does it say Jenson schemes and plots?

All I ever said was that his contract squabbles etc put me off, I then expanded by referring to hypothetical situations and generic driver types

Someone else suggested that Jenson does not scheme and plot like Senna

Infact this is my exact statement

'I prefer the fact that some drivers with hearts in the right place come second instead of drivers who scheme their way to first. '

When did Jenson scheme his way to first?

If you don't understand the post why comment, if you comment expect a response. If you don't like the response, tough

But to help you out here is an answer to your question 'How does Jenson scheme and plot?' I don't know, however i raised a point that he seems to do well when contract talks are in the air. He has a history of unseemly contract squabbles, does this make him a schemer and plotter? I dont know, do I like drivers who seem to squabble over pay compared to some who offer to drive for free in the right car? No

Where does it say Jenson schemes and plots?

It doesn't mention him specifically, but seeing as this is a Button thread and you were talking about Button in the second line of your post I figured it was about Jenson.

So who were you talking about? I'm curious.

All I ever said was that his contract squabbles etc put me off, I then expanded by referring to hypothetical situations and generic driver types

Well okay, if you say so.

If you don't understand the post why comment, if you comment expect a response. If you don't like the response, tough

Well, perhaps I commented because I wanted to understand your post, so I fully expected your response. I'm not too sure what you're trying to imply here or why this line was even necessary?

But to help you out here is an answer to your question 'How does Jenson scheme and plot?' I don't know, however i raised a point that he seems to do well when contract talks are in the air. He has a history of unseemly contract squabbles, does this make him a schemer and plotter? I dont know, do I like drivers who seem to squabble over pay compared to some who offer to drive for free in the right car? No

Okay.

I've been wanting to say this in this thread because it's Jenson's thread but haven't becuse of a personal attack on me but here goes:

Button's shit start and shit re-start cost McLaren a victory at Monza yesterday.

Button was way down in 7th on Lap 5...not the way to go about winning a dry race.

If I were Ron Dennis i'd be livid with Button having my car way down in 7th on Lap 5 after starting 3rd on the grid...and I wouldn't care that he finished "on the Podium".

There was a win in that car yesterday. Period.

If you are having a go at Jenson then you ought to have a go at Lewis too for

a) Being squeezed out of the start
b) Caught napping on the restart
c) Having passed Schumacher once failing to close the door the 2nd time and allow Schumacher to repass him
d) For choosing a car with high downforce which made it difficult for him to pass the Mercedes

Does Jenson dictate who is No 2 driver like Senna did at Lotus ?

If you are having a go at Jenson for his contract squabbles
Lets get this straight

i) He signed a contract for Williams 2005 thinking HOnda were quitting F1 or reducing their involvement but Honda decided to challenge the CRB stating they had a binding contract

It was the CRB who said BAR/Honda had a binding contract for 2005 over Williams for Jenson Button but Williams had his services for 2006

Ii) If Williams were successful and winning races then I would have no doubt he would have rejoined them but everyone witnessed was complete dissention with between Williams and BMW so it was basically a complete rebuilding job he was going into...Would Lewis Hamilton have done the same I'd very much doubt it he would have joined Williams either given the way he behaves when he does not have a competitive car

iii) Button was potentially a free agent when Honda quit F1 in 2009 so he could have joined other teams like STR, Force India who both did not announce their driver line ups officially or as a third driver for another team even Renault - sneaky Flavio was considering signing him to replace Nelsinho

But for once Jenson shows loyalty and is rewarded for doing so and guess what Mercedes do when they buy the team ..they simply shove him out for their German superteam and make all sorts of excuses saying they aint got the money or like to run a tight budget when they are frecking paying Schumacher £20m a year yet would only reward Jenson £8m for a world champion on 1 year ! Who's laughing now definitely not Mercedes

Past drivers with contract squabbles

Alesi - signed for Williams , Ferrari , Tyrell so he chose Ferrari who paid £10m to buy out the other contracts and pay him then back in 1990 which probably would have been £30-40m in todays money

Schumacher - left Jordan after 1 race after Eddie thought he had a water tight contract agreed with his management..the missing link Schumacher did not sign the contract himself !

Coulthard - after being told by Mansell to get another deal for himself for 1995 because Nige apparently rejoined the team. Dc signs with Mclaren but Williams take it to the CRB and get it in their favour that he must drive for them in 1995 but 1996 MClaren had first option on him

Senna - signed a 3 year contract with Toleman and when Lotus were interested he wanted to move and was suspended for 1 race by the team

Alonso - after falling out with Mclaren he decides to buy himself out of his contract for the remainder 2 years and rejoin Renault

Minor drivers

Burti/ mazzacane sacking from Jaguar and Prost whom both bought sponsors to the team so Jaguar could promote De La Rosa into the team

Alboreto 1989 - started for Tyrell who were backed by Camel but he was backed by Marlboro personally and an argument meant he fled to LArrousse for the rest of the season

Leone

If a top team boss gave you an F1 drive at an early age on the back of a test session

And you did not do enough to cement the place after a year

Say the team farmed you out on loan till you were ready to use your big talent (that he spotted and gave you a seat for)

Now say that team needed a British success story to bring in sponsors and rise again, and looked to bring you back from loan to take on the MS but instead you decided that they were on the slide and you could get more dosh at a new venture with big big pockets but no pedigree

Would it be normal for a 22 year old? shouldn't you want a pedigree British team?, repay your mentor, have a crack at winning Wcs?

Would you sign up for the rich and loud new outfit and sail your yacht into Monaco harbour and then spend 10 years collecting the dough but winning SFA?

Leone

If a top team boss gave you an F1 drive at an early age on the back of a test session

Say the team farmed you out on loan till you were ready to use your big talent (that he spotted and gave you a seat for)

Now say that team needed a British success story to bring in sponsors and rise again, and looked to bring you back from loan to take on the MS but instead you decided that they were on the slide and you could get more dosh at a new venture with big big pockets but no pedigree

Would it be normal for a 22 year old? shouldn't you want a pedigree British team?, repay your mentor, have a crack at winning Wcs?

Would you sign up for the rich and loud new outfit and sail your yacht into Monaco harbour and then spend 10 years collecting the dough but winning SFA?

-------------------------------

Williams had already promised Juan Montoya that he would be given his chance in F1 if he manages to get enough racing experience in Indy car

Button's career could have stalled because he did not have the money to get into F3000 or Prost would might have considered him instead of Heidfeld having tested for the team

Williams were suppose to run Zanardi and Schumacher R for 2000 because they did not want two new drivers for 1999- relatively inexperienced drivers. So Juan Montoya was exchanged by Williams with Ganassi for Zanardi on 3 year contracts .

When Zanardi quit before 2000 Williams wanted Montoya back but he and Ganassi had already committed to 2000 Indy season so Frank had to get a stand in through either tester Junqueira or Button and they left it until the last day to announce who was driving and Jenson got the deal.

I would not take any crap what that fat womanising Alonso licking bstrd Briatore who himself loves scoring with young woman and knows absolute S^&* about F1..Jenson is laughing he aint.

Plus Jenson could not have picked a worse moment to join Benetton having being bought by Renault but trying a radical engine which kept blowing up

Formula One is about making most of your opportunities...Senna would have done exactly the same situation as Button given the circumstances unless he was guaranteed the team was competitive

If Williams were still a competitive team then I would not have a problem with it but they spent the whole of 2005 sulking with BMW so thats hardly a happy camp to return to

Frank knows its business and was one of the first few people who spoke to Jenson to be positive about when Honda quit

its the luck of the draw as they say and it has fallen right for Jenson eventually

Jenson said it himself he would happy give away his millions for 1 world title

A good example is Mercedes they thought they had Schumacher agree to join them (Sauber) in 1993 when they thought they' had agreed that if Mercedes were to get into F1 Schumi would drive for them..but it did not turn out that way because he was under contract with Benetton

Then when he was free Mclaren Mercedes tried to get him but Ferrari money and being No1 was better for him and it was only last year 20years after initial promise Mercedes got their man even then Schumi owes it more to Ross Brawn

-------------------------------

its the luck of the draw as they say and it has fallen right for Jenson eventually

Jenson said it himself he would happy give away his millions for 1 world title

He cut it a bit fine

Anyways since his WC in a superior Brawn in 2009, he is driving well, has the love of a top team and is learning from Lewis and starting to demonstrate his ability

Leone

-------------------------------------------------------------

I should add that BAR/HOnda appeared more stable then as Honda decided they wanted to back in F1 and take over ownership of the team whereas Williams were in disarray and only got Cosworth engine for 2006 which was an unknown and on paper they did not appear as strong

So it was more easy for JEnson to change his mind...I don't blame him for doing it if he felt it was a big mistake..well it was costly and to him a painful lesson in negotiating contracts

He cut it a bit fine

Anyways since his WC in a superior Brawn in 2009, he is driving well, has the love of a top team and is learning from Lewis and starting to demonstrate his ability

Yep indeed and he is at ease with himself because he knows anything he does now is a real bonus and Mclaren better sign him up now

Is everyone ok if I just ignore Ray's post? thanks

The Media (and Mr Briatorie) loved to find stories about Button's playboy lifestyle and his 'greedy' nature back then because he was a young sports star and it made greats sales for newspapers - just the same as they used to and like to write the same types of stories about Lewis Hamilton. I find it odd you chose to believe one set and not the other.

That's what they did to Kimi Raikkonen, yet many believe one and not the other :thinking:

Interesting.
So Button is rejecting a multi-year deal with McLaren with the hope of moving to Ferrari.

I wonder if that will change McLaren's approach now?
Whether they will just offer the 1 year and start looking for a second driver?

(Not convinced the source is that reputable though.)

Back
Top Bottom