Felipe Massa

Brilliant driver on his day but is he championship material?

In 2008 he proved he was but thats only one occassion, plus that season the Ferrari TBH was a bit quicker and won more races that season. In 2009 he nearly suffered a career ending head-injury and since coming to back to the grid he hasn't really shown that promise he did in 2008.

Don't get me wrong he's a driver i very much like, but i do wonder if he'll be a title challenger again for Ferrari season in season out or if he'll stay at Ferrari much longer?

Whats your thoughts on Massa?

gethinceri - Time to do an experiment or two.

Resources required: Six palls of water OR a recently deceased gentleman OR a load of money lenders in a temple (in a Holy City for preference e.g. Jerusalem, Rome, Alexandria, Constantinople or Aberystwyth) OR the River Jordan and his mate John OR a rich bloke, a camel and a needle OR a large body of water.

You can see what the experiment might be, or if you want a real miracle, he'd get Massa to win tomorrow.

Not sure I've ever had a worse feeling about a penalty. Just a mind boggling decision by Chucky up in his isolation booth. I don't think there is a single F1 fan that wanted to see a drive-through there, except for the nitwits up in the control tower. Really felt for Felipe today.

Hadn't all the drivers been warned about crossing the hatched area on the pit entrance? We heard a delayed message from Smedders telling Massa to stop driving across that part of the track and, presumably, he did it again. It would be nice if there was consistency in stewarding decisions but Massa was using part of the track all the drivers had specifically been told not to and was punished.

C'est la vie

Yeah, he crossed the line. I would bet my lucky penny that he wasn't the only one. The transgression was completely inconsequential to anyone's race. And you weren't just penalizing Felipe, you were penalizing the hundreds of thousands gathered at Interlagos to watch a motor race, not a driver's education course.

But Race Control certainly reinforced the fact that they're an insular outfit that is completely out of touch with the wishes of the fans. Clueless, each and every one of them.

Yeah, he crossed the line. I would bet my lucky penny that he wasn't the only one. The transgression was completely inconsequential to anyone's race. And you weren't just penalizing Felipe, you were penalizing the hundreds of thousands gathered at Interlagos to watch a motor race, not a driver's education course.

It did seem like Massa had to be educated because he seemingly didn't understand what he and the others were told in the drivers briefing. And you are only punishing those supporters who don't understand the rules that are in place either, maybe F1 isn't the right sport for them.....they should consider that...

Last edited:
So now we make decisions based on what the crowd want? Presumably at every race Vettel has been booed he should have been given multiple stop go penalties simply to ensure someone else wins? A very curious argument.

I've yet to hear an argument on how anybody's race was affected by Massa's driving. Until then, this penalty was complete nonsense.

And if the FIA followed the rule book by the letter, Seb would have been excluded 3 races running.....

edit - And you know why Seb hasn't been excluded? Because the fans love it and would probably defect in mass if such a silly penalty was enforced.

Last edited:
I've yet to hear an argument on how anybody's race was affected by Massa's driving. Until then, this penalty was complete nonsense.
It doesn't have to affect anyone's race, the rule is there as a general safety measure for drivers entering the pits. What I don't understand is why couldn't Massa drive by the rules, the other 21 drivers managed. O.o

And if the FIA followed the rule book by the letter, Seb would have been excluded 3 races running.....
Why, and for what?

Not returning to the pits in the "proper" fashion.

And FB, do you really think the FIA should treat these races as if they're being run in a vacuum. F1 history is littered with decisions that went one way or another because of the location in which they took place. I certainly could have lived with Charlie taking (another) blind eye here.

I have no doubt the location often influence decisions (especially when the circus rolls around to Monza) but it doesn't make it right. The FIA need to be consistent, let's hope Brazil 2013 is the start of it.

Massa was warned - Smedley told him over the team radio. I have to assume he took no notice and did it again.

Back
Top Bottom