Gaming F1 2011

It's an improvement on 2010 but not by much...

Yeah I have that problem too, I can't take corners flat out for the ones that you usually can, a tiny direction change with DRS open you are all over the place quite a contrast for what it's really like.

It's an improvement on 2010 but not by much...

Yeah I have that problem too, I can't take corners flat out for the ones that you usually can, a tiny direction change with DRS open you are all over the place quite a contrast for what it's really like.

Ye, I really think they need to work on their aero physics - you're gonna have more downforce at top speeds, but it doesn't feel like you have!

Moan, moan, moan, that's all you lot ever do ;)

I finally got my new xbox 360 yesterday and compared to f1 2002, the game is amazing! I havent even got my wheel yet, but I enjoyed it so much. As for controlling the car, I found the braking assist to be just what you need - it practically stops you and as long as damage is off, you can weave around after a mistake and the ai is clever enough to spot the danger and back off. I won my second race, after they let me off cutting the corner to overtake Button. :snigger:

Don't worry though, I dont plan on going online anytime soon, at least until I found the brake pedal :)

I was a bit surprised with how clunky the game management schemes were, couldin't find any telemetry and starting the race was an odd process, but hey. Does anyone remember Revs on the BBC micro? That was my first racing game.

You guys are officianados - I'm a kid with a new toy! If they are going to make it even better with an update, go for it, but I think its a pretty good effort, well worth 40 quid (well, in my case £300 for the xbox upgrade)

It's xmas! well not yet but you all know what this means... I have the game! I'm sitting next to it right now and it hasn't been opened! I'll do that on monday, at least that's in the same week as xmas! I'll go to montreal, then after my bro gets fed up of Fifa 12 (I won't) I'll start my career and get online! And I'll even race some of you guys who are probably amazing at the game already!

It's xmas! well not yet but you all know what this means... I have the game! I'm sitting next to it right now and it hasn't been opened! I'll do that on monday, at least that's in the same week as xmas! I'll go to montreal, then after my bro gets fed up of Fifa 12 (I won't) I'll start my career and get online! And I'll even race some of you guys who are probably amazing at the game already!
I got it a couple of weeks ago, did a 13 lap race at Spa, went from dry to extremely wet, a safety car thrown in for good measure and I finished eighth in a Williams!
Seriously, it is a big improvement over 2010. The AI are actually half-decent for once, and the tyre simulations are brilliant, especially from dry-inter-wet.

I got it a couple of weeks ago, did a 13 lap race at Spa, went from dry to extremely wet, a safety car thrown in for good measure and I finished eighth in a Williams!
Seriously, it is a big improvement over 2010. The AI are actually half-decent for once, and the tyre simulations are brilliant, especially from dry-inter-wet.

Xbox or PS3? and I can't wait to play it for the first time, I've wanted it since it came out!

Has anyone tried the PC version? I got the 2009 one, and for £20 I had ten cars with identical physics, AI that were the same for each race, and cars that were too easy to drive. (1:12 at monaco in a Toyota with keys and auto shift). What I'm saying is should I waste my money on a game with only 19 tracks and 12 cars, and looks like it is not mod-freindly, or just stick to GPL which cost a fiver, has about 70 cars, and 500 tracks? If a lot has changed in two years I might get it (or wait for 2012 if it is coming very soon)

As you can tell I felt mightily ripped of when I bought 2009.

If I tell you that 2009 was a pile of crap and 2011 is better in every department, maybe that would convince you to buy it?

What's it like?

Infuriating.

Basically it's designed so that if you cut too many corners, tap competitors ever so slightly or deliberately crash into them it will take xp from you. For example you can go onto a race level 40 and if you really wanted to you could lose 5 levels or more.

Also it sets you targets to meet in the race e.g. you qualify 6th and you need to get 3rd or higher. However often when you meet these targets your rewarded with 0 experience. Even if you get a penalty and still meet your target you will lose xp probably.

However the main problem is how it assigns blame. Frequently you get slower players who refuse to be overtaken fairly. Their solution is to simply run you off the road and half the time the game will blame you for the collision and give you a penalty which will take about 2 levels away from you.

To sum up the game pisses you off because you get punished for things when a lot of the time they are blatantly not your fault.

They haven't fixed it then? In 2009 I got given penalties for no obvious reason, and the radio didn't explain it. 2 penalties in three laps when I was just following another driver.

They haven't fixed it then? In 2009 I got given penalties for no obvious reason, and the radio didn't explain it. 2 penalties in three laps when I was just following another driver.

It's not that bad. Simply that there are a lot of arseholes on that game and the game isn't brilliant at assigning blame, you don't get completely random penalties. However if you play the game with friends who are sensible and adhere to the proper rules in F1 such as not weaving then the game actually is incredibly fun.

EDIT:

Here's an example of the penalty problem.

Back
Top Bottom