1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Prix 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Grand Prix Discussions' started by cider_and_toast, Jun 14, 2017.

1. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Pole Sitter

Featured Threads:
    i remember watching that live RasputinLives it was ridiculous because he accelerated & braked on the main straight, but the reason for ban he got which was completely right decision. was because the stewards had no choice when he got taken out himself a few laps later the 6/8 drivers caught up in it. were cheering in the pitlane. so when you have 8 drivers saying you need to take action. your going to ban 1 guy than upset 1/3 of the grid

& your probally right about mental side cider_and_toast because he really only been under the cosh for title battle in 2012 even then it was still by far the better car, as 2010 fell into his lap as huge underdog, 2011 & 2013 won it by miles often it was just 2nd place after 2nd lap

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Bill Boddy

Bill Boddy Professional layabout Premium Contributor

The safety car has the disadvantage to the leader of closing the field up; what is needed is a system recognises this by giving a smooth transition to racing again. An absolute minimum is that the lead driver is not allowed to reduce his speed or reduce his rate of acceleration inordinately once he is in charge.

4. racecub

racecub Champion Elect

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    Doesn't it already say that in the rules? Lead driver musnt make exaggerated increases or decreases of speed? Seen it somewhere but can't remember the exact wording.

5. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

You mean Article 39.5:

6. olegg

olegg Race Winner

2017 FORMULA ONE SPORTING REGULATIONS
    When the clerk of the course decides it is safe to call in the safety car the message "SAFETY
    CAR IN THIS LAP" will be sent to all teams via the official messaging system and the car's
    orange lights will be extinguished. This will be the signal to the teams and drivers that it will be
    entering the pit lane at the end of that lap.

At this point the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace and, if necessary,
    fall more than ten car lengths behind it.

7. olegg

olegg Race Winner

Why Hamilton had to slow the field more at that controversial restart

Here are quite detailed explanation of why the actions of the Hamilton
    there are not only violation of the rules but also “brake checked”

8. olegg

olegg Race Winner

"If he had accelerated then braked, accelerated then braked, then yes it would be erratic. However he didn’t, his deceleration was smooth and consistent. He is allowed to brake. He just is not allowed to do so erratically.
    The braking in the corner was perfectly acceptable and not particularly abnormal (he slowed by just 9 mph through the apex which is not erratic or excessive) plus it may well have been kers generation that applied the brake. Remember vettel was not at a constant speed. He accelerated which is why he hit hamilton.
    The speed was pretty normal for a street circuit and even other tracks. Just go and watch footage from Bahrain this year where vettel was controlling the pack at the safety car restart. He backed them up and was going much the same speed.
    Vettel was just frightened that he was going to be overtaken by Perez (which almost happened at the previous restart) so he was probably thinking more about that than watching hamilton. It was vettels responsibility to drive safely behind hamilton."

Another reasonable explanation from Lee1 on the f1fanatic's article

9. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

olegg
    Art. 39.13 by my interpreation of the rules does not suspend Art. 39.5, because the safety car is still considered to be deployed until the drivers cross the first satey car line which means that a driver must abide Art. 39.5.
    Furthermore Art. 39.13 states:

10. The Pits

The Pits Harumph. Again. Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Ok. Im struggling to find anything meaningful regarding the telemetry from Lewis.

I appreciate that he did the same thing both restarts. However, that may or may not be meaningful as it will depend on circumstances. Braking hard and accelerating is fine when you are sevetal car lengths clear, but Vettel was much closer the second time.

11. olegg

olegg Race Winner

"at a pace which involves no erratic acceleration or braking nor any other manoeuvre which is likely to endanger other drivers or impede the restart."

It is not very clear wording.
    But in my opinion and in the opinion of the stewards, Hamilton was not violated.
    But the funny thing is the claims Vettel and his supporters
    that Vettel in a similar situation would be acting similarly

12. Rutherford

Rutherford Points Scorer

Maybe this helps?
    Sebastian Vettel

The same discussion seems to be taking place in multiple threads.

13. The Pits

Featured Threads:
    No, those are news reports based on a statement which whilst true does not show the detail.

There are no official docs on the fia website, although that could be due to the findings resulting in no penalty.

My point is simply that the statements i have seen would suggest that doing the same thing on both restarts is sufficient for several assumptions to be made.

If these ate not assumptions, then there must be more actual official info available which i have not been able to find.

14. racecub

racecub Champion Elect

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    IMG_3733.JPG Yes, 39.13 is I believe the rule I was thinking of. And the stewards after looking at telemetry thought Lewis was 100% in the clear.
    These couple of pictures show he didn't do any sharp increases or decreases of speed, but it shows Vettel was somewhat erratic.

olegg and The Pits like this.
  15. The Pits

Featured Threads:
    Thanks racecub spot on.

Could i ask where you got hold of that pleaee? I havent been able to find it!

Cheers

16. racecub

racecub Champion Elect

Fantasy F1 Profile:
    FF1 Profile
    Fantasy F1 Team-mate:
    FF1 Team-mate
    I unashamedly copied it from someone who posted it on another forum. :embarrassed:
    But there is this on YouTube, confusingly, for some reason Hamilton is red and Vettel is Tourquoise :dunno:

olegg likes this.
  17. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #bringbackmaldo Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I do envy the lead driver who appears to be neither allowed to slow down or to drive quickly.

18. The Pits

Featured Threads:
    Based on what?

19. sobriety

sobriety Podium Finisher

No idea where to put this but Darren Heath (the man who takes the posh F1 photos) is not happy with Ferrari/Vettel either

Disgracing themselves | F1 Blog by Darren Heath

20. cousinDave

cousinDave Rookie

What's happened here then? Has he changed his tune, or is it fake? ;)

Stewart brands Vettel “irresponsible” for Baku swipe at Hamilton

21. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Pole Sitter

Featured Threads:
    very weird the Theresa May effect is happening alot in f1. Vettel pretending stuff never happened & Jackie stewart having a U Turn

Share This