Grand Prix 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Baku.

No, fear not fellow clippers, it's not my hayfever getting the better of me but it's the next F1 venue in the 2017 F1 season. Designed to be the worlds fastest street circuit, this year the grand prix carries the name of the host country unlike last year when, for reasons never fully explained it carried the European GP title.

Last years race was effected by kerb bolts not being fully tightened down, causing a number of tyres to be shredded and a flying drain cover that re-arranged the underside of one of the cars. These little issues to one side, on the whole, the circuit did set out to achieve its aim of speed with some of the highest straight line speeds ever recorded in F1, along the long back straight.

The race itself saw the top 6 spread out by over a minute showing that the key to success was a powerful engine and a high top speed. Hamilton suffered badly due to starting in the wrong mode. This highlighted the 'radio driver instructions' issue once again and was the catalyst for this rule being quietly slide into oblivion not long after. The track itself drew praise from several drivers.

So, to this seasons GP. Given the criteria for success at this track, Mercedes and Mercedes powered cars must start as favourites to do well. With Perez rounding out the podium spots in 2016 and with Force India's strong performane in Canada, they will surely be in the mix as the next best Merc runners.

Ferrari will be looking to bounce back after a difficult GP in Canada where Vettel did brilliantly to recover to 4th however, his pace over the weekend could have delivered more, and Kimi suffered from failing brakes which meant his race disolved into nursing the wounded car home over the last few laps.

Red Bull's season continues to underwhelm with pre-season predictions of title challenges now very much a distant memory. With Ferrari and Mercedes clearly a measure better than RBR and with this track requiring power, Force India should be right on Red Bull's tail. Max will be looking to bounce back after his DNF, and hopefully not over Seb's front wing this time while Danny will want another good finish.

Williams should do well here. They have the Merc engine and Stroll will have a certain spring in his step after a strong enough performance in Canada to show why he's in the car. Massa is also confounding some critics this season by driving pretty well. It's clear that neither driver have a great car underneath them but they should be able to do something here.

Torro Rosso, Haas and Renault will be pounding around looking for a sniff of some points. Of these three teams, none of them seem to be setting the world of F1 on fire and mediocrity is the best they can expect. Of the 6 drivers, Jolyon Palmer has the most to loose. He MUST start out performing his team mate or come the next set of European races he'll be watching from the sidelines. The Hulk looked pretty on it in Canada so Palmer has no easy task.

Last up comes Sauber who, running last years Ferrari engine, will stand little hope of doing anything here and will be praying for a race of high attrition. Much to everyone's suprise, last year there wasn't a single safety car period and only 4 cars DNF'd so it's not looking good for the team.

So I can't see much further than a Hamilton win and should anything go wrong, Bottas will more than likely pick up the pieces.

Oh..... hang on.... I missed one team out.

McLaren.

Hmmmm, it's a high powered circuit that requires a lot of grunt from the engine. It's a street circuit so the car needs to be able to handle bumps well, be well balanced but at the same time have a high straight line speed.

I'll give both cars about 10 laps before they are smoking and stationary track side.

this not a dig because Sir Jackie Stewart is legend, because if it wasn't for him then f1 would be unrecognisable & so many drivers owe there life to him far too many mention from last 40 years. but Jackie Stewart has a long record of having ago at Lewis Hamilton. ive always wondered what did lewis do to upset him & seemingly hold a grudge for so long

I thought that for such a public rejection of Hamilton
Stewart had hidden resentment over a lost national records in Formula 1

Many of the British racing oldies are not big fans of Hamilton's if you look at it. Nigel Mansell went through a phase of slagging him off too. Not sure what he has done to upset them. I wonder if it stems from a dislike of Ron Dennis.

Personally, i think that Martin Brundle had the best insight.

Based on who was involved there will be hyperbole from several quarters, from its all Lewis fault to Seb should be banned from racing forever and be forced to change his name to Mea Culpe.

These incidents have a habit of doing so, and thats not likely to change any time soon.

I treat it like scoring in the diving. Once you get rid of the extremes at either end, what is left over is usually a fair reflection.

I have seen no precedent for similar behaviour resulting in either disqualification or a ban in the past. Nor do i believe that the outcome would have been different if the roles were reversed.

I also dont think we would be hearing as much about it if Lewis had not had to make a pit stop and went on to win.

for the record im happy with the penalties he got given because it ruined his race, also because of the 9pts accrued he has to be careful to not miss the British GP & assuming a stern telling off from charlie that this never happens again. also if we give him a grid drop ala rossi in moto gp we are potentially ruining our own fun because we want to se lewis & vettel fighting each other at front instead of 1 allowed to go into the sunset as he stuck in 12th place

Jackie Stewart has a long record of having ago at Lewis Hamilton. ive always wondered what did lewis do to upset him & seemingly hold a grudge for so long

F1Brits_90...You would have thought that Stewart would have waited for the official response from the FIA, regarding the Lewis and Sebastian incident, before jumping the gun. No, he moved right away to say that Hamilton's action initially created the incident when he said, " But at the same time what created the incident is what occurred when Lewis slowed down so quickly in a very unlikely place. You have to take that into account." Andrew Benson Chief F1 writer from the BBC said, " The stewards examined data from his car and found that he had maintained a more or less constant speed, had not lifted off the throttle or braked, and had behaved no differently at the restart at that point on the track that at the other two restarts."

I wonder if Stewart will reconsider his initial remark, probably not.

Here is another source F1Brits_90 to add to your list.

Stewart believes Hamilton should take some blame in Vettel collision

I seem to remember someone else doing something similar at the 2011 Singapore Grand Prix. Someone who was nearly rear-ended by Jenson Button.

Hamilton's actions were hardly out of keeping with the standard behaviour of a driver slowing the pack to let the Safety Car to reach the pits. They may have differed from his first re-start (when he was very quick) but Hamilton's behaviour throughout the incident was impeccable.

Hamilton's actions were hardly out of keeping with the standard behaviour....
2017 FORMULA ONE SPORTING REGULATIONS
When the clerk of the course decides it is safe to call in the safety car the message "SAFETY
CAR IN THIS LAP" will be sent to all teams via the official messaging system and the car's
orange lights will be extinguished. This will be the signal to the teams and drivers that it will be
entering the pit lane at the end of that lap.

At this point the first car in line behind the safety car may dictate the pace and, if necessary,
fall more than ten car lengths behind it.

Hamilton asked during the race if there was a better way of re-starting the race; one thing that the stewards could have done was to throw a virtual safety car at the same time as the real safety car, and released the VSC when the cars were at the beginning of the long straight...

They shouldn't have to alter the re-start procedure to suit one drivers arrogance who feels he has the right to punish the lead driver if the start isn't going to favour him. The lead driver has the right to set the re-start pace.....always has, the regulations are clear. Vettel got off far too lightly.

They shouldn't have to alter the re-start procedure to suit one drivers arrogance who feels he has the right to punish the lead driver if the start isn't going to favour him. The lead driver has the right to set the re-start pace.....always has, the regulations are clear. Vettel got off far too lightly.

It was Hamilton that was calling for a change to the re-start procedure, as each time at the re-start, chaos emerged behind him.

Personally, i think that Martin Brundle had the best insight.

Based on who was involved there will be hyperbole from several quarters, from its all Lewis fault to Seb should be banned from racing forever and be forced to change his name to Mea Culpe.

These incidents have a habit of doing so, and thats not likely to change any time soon.

I treat it like scoring in the diving. Once you get rid of the extremes at either end, what is left over is usually a fair reflection.

I have seen no precedent for similar behaviour resulting in either disqualification or a ban in the past. Nor do i believe that the outcome would have been different if the roles were reversed.

I also dont think we would be hearing as much about it if Lewis had not had to make a pit stop and went on to win.

Agree with much of that, if it was the rear ending of Hamilton only. It was the deliberate swerving in afterwards that I think makes this incident different. Only similar incident I can think of, again against Hamilton, was when Maldonado deliberately swerved into him after they crossed the line ( in a practise session I think) . I can't remember Maldonado punishment.

I can't remember Maldonado punishment.

Being Pastor Maldonado was punishment enough.

That was a far more dangerous incident I might add.

There was a precedent in GP2. Johnny Ceccto deliberately drove someone off the track in qualifying in a temper because he thought he'd been blocked a few years back and was punished by being made to start at the back of the grid. People thought that was a cop out then.

:o

When in hell has the effect on the title race ever become a criteria to not ban someone?

I think it's been done before. I remember Stone Cold Steve Austin hitting The Rock with a chair once and not getting banned from a championship fight.......wait.....that's wrestling Isn't it? I get wrestling and F1 mixed up these days. All about the show.

Agree with much of that, if it was the rear ending of Hamilton only. It was the deliberate swerving in afterwards that I think makes this incident different. Only similar incident I can think of, again against Hamilton, was when Maldonado deliberately swerved into him after they crossed the line ( in a practise session I think) . I can't remember Maldonado punishment.

Maldonado I believe got a grid penalty, as the incident happened in qualifying (iirc)

The whole controversy is preposterous, and nothing that couldn't be sorted out around a lovely cup of tea.

upload_2017-6-28_15-45-48.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom