1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use it, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grand Prix 2017 Azerbaijan Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Discussion in 'Grand Prix Discussions' started by cider_and_toast, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Galahad

Galahad Not a Moderator Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    That's been reported as fact, but is completely speculation.

olegg and cider_and_toast like this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to remove all adverts.
  3. Bushi

Bushi Pole Sitter

Ow, was he booed for that? I thought he was booed throughout the years for just being Vettel.

Maybe, it's just a thought, but when you look at the replay the lights of the safety car are on before the corner and out after the corner. Seeing that Lewis is the first to spot the lights off and backs off to dictate the pace. An unexpected Vettel didn't see the lights where off and Lewis could dictate the pace and drove in the back of Lewis.

Thus we conclude, race control created a dangerous situation and therefor Charlie Whithing should get a race ban. ;)

Chasz likes this.
  4. Greenlantern101

Greenlantern101 Super Hero And All Round Good Guy Contributor

Featured Threads:
  5. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Pole Sitter

Featured Threads:
    im happy with the penalties he got given because he lost a victory & because of the 9pts accrued the threat of a punishment is more effective than a punishment majority of times

but i wonder if this not ban because of baku but build up of problems the fact he has shown no remorse for his actions, almost trying to make them acceptable which they arent whether you a 4x world champion or 2 race rookie . i remember after mexico when he told charlie whiting :censored: off. that any more trouble could lead to a tribunal

i would still say to him anything 3pts straight away & post Britain 5pts. as he would have to clean up his act

6. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    He deserves a race ban. I still can't beleive he rammed another driver on purpose. Anyone else would have been black flagged and banned. I hope the FIA grow a pair and treat him as they would any non-world championship contender.

The moody wee git needs an official slap.

Fenderman, Speshal and Chasz like this.
  7. sobriety

sobriety Podium Finisher

I agree. I've reconsidered my 1 race ban comment, that would be too severe, but starting from the back of the grid in Austria would seem reasonable to me, not because of what he did, but because he was a dick about it afterwards.

8. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    Starting at the back in the second fastest car is hardly a punishment. He would still have a decent chance of a podium.

9. The Pits

The Pits Harumph. Again. Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    Really?

I dont see any evidence to support that.

Nico didnt get black flagged and banned.

Maldonado didnt get black flagged and banned.

Happy to take any supporting evidence to the contrary.

10. RasputinLives

RasputinLives I was never cool at school. Contributor

Featured Threads:
    Well a certain Michael Schumacher got DQ'd for a whole season in 1997 for deliberately taking a swipe at someone.

Then again he got no punishment at all in 1994.

Prost did it in 1989 and the guy he drove into got DQ'd

That guy, Senna, did it in 1990 and even admitted it. Got no punishment at all.

F1 is a confusing place.

11. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Speaking of historical. It doesn't look good for you when even Juan Pablo Montoya, the king of F1 hot heads, react better to a situation than you.

Monaco grand prix: Schumacher's run ends in farce and fury

Schumacher braked suddenly, Montoya went into the back of him and Juan Pablo said it was his fault! In an environment where everyone hated Schumacher I reckon Montoya would have got away with doing what Seb did.

12. Greenlantern101

Featured Threads:
    The big difference here is it wasn't under full race conditions. It was under the safety car. It wasn't a mistake or error made in a split second at race speed. It was a deliberate collision in a controlled safety car period at low speed.

Fenderman and ExtremeNinja like this.
  13. The Pits

The Pits Harumph. Again. Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    ah, ok.

so there is no precedent then. no indication that another driver would be treated differently?

glad thats clear.

14. teabagyokel

teabagyokel #bringbackmaldo Valued Member

Featured Threads:
    I'm guessing a lot here so bear with me...

I was under the impression that the lights out moment was standardised by practice if not by regulation. I reckoned that that point was at the Sector 2 line, or at least near there.

The lights did seem to go off at the same place on all three restarts.

Can anyone enlighten me to the actual regulatory position?

15. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    Just to be clear none of those I listed were either. Especially the Senna one in 1990. He actually told everyone the day before that if they didn't switch the pole slot to the other side of the grid he was going to crash into Prost at the first corner......and he did it.

16. F1Brits_90

F1Brits_90 Pole Sitter

Featured Threads:
    You make a good point. that could be big difference that under racing red mist is different to calculated move just there about to go racing. but as few have said "put vettel at the back of grid". arent we just ruining our own enjoyment because we want lewis & vettel giving us a great battle on track. lewis possibly driving off into sunset

point on safety car, just it set off alot further back than sector 3 to give the cars more time to get the gap. as this did all start because lewis had to back the pack up more because he was mighty close to Overtaking the safety car

17. Kewee

Kewee Race Winner

The only point I was making The Artist was the starting procedure shouldn't need to be changed to suit the drivers following Hamilton regardless who was calling for a change. It was up to all the following drivers, including Vettel, to leave enough space between themselves to allow for the fluctuating speed of the lead car and prevent themselves piling into one another.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    Fenderman likes this.
  18. RasputinLives

Featured Threads:
    I completely agree with you Kewee....... unless of course the driver leading the restart does this

(Skip to 1:16)

Kewee likes this.
  19. olegg

olegg Race Winner

On the BBC Sport had article with some previous examples "road rage" in the F1
    When drivers attack - a history of road rage in F1

20. olegg

olegg Race Winner

Additional sanctions against Vettel would be have only one negative thing:
    decreasing intrigue in the championship

21. cider_and_toast

cider_and_toast Everything in moderation Staff Member Premium Contributor

Featured Threads:
    In the examples of drivers ramming each other quoted above, the common factor is that it was a title on the line. I don't condone it but you sort of understand why a driver sees it as the last option to be world champion.

In Vettel's case, he screwed up and then lost his head. I think he should get a one race ban. If we were talking about someone like Perez on Hamilton it would have happened already.

The other factor that needs to be mentioned in terms of the title race is the psychological effect on Vettel. Hamilton has the morale high ground on this one. Remember how Rosberg lost his edge royally over the incident at Spa a few years ago. I think we could see something similar this time. Vettel has shown a mental weakness that's there to be exploited. Press the right buttons and he's going to pop. That's handy if you are Hamilton and you are under Vettel's rear wing with 10 laps to go.

Share This