Grand Prix 2015 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It is not the most popular of Grand Prix circuits. It is tight and twisty, staggeringly difficult to overtake on, and not especially scenic. Its nicknames hardly inspire confidence - "Monaco without the walls", "the Dustbowl", "Hungaboring". They're also not especially fair.

This is the circuit of the first Grand Prix of the Eastern Bloc, still the only one in that huge area of land between the Berlin Wall and the Black Sea. It is a circuit where the dominant team often fails to dominate: not the only circuit where Red Bull and Mercedes shared the wins between 2013 and 2014, but the only one where they won in the wrong order!

It has been the scene of some drama in the last 10 years as well! 2006 saw Alonso and Schumacher gain separate and equal time penalties before qualifying, and both fail to finish as Button took his inaugural spoils in the rain. 2007 saw the spark which lead to the McLaren implosion. 2008 saw Massa recover his form from a tough summer, but his engine to fail allowing in Kovalainen. 2009 saw the slowest circuit in the world see KERS big break through for Hamilton's McLaren. 2010 was the year of Vettel and 10 car lengths, handing Webber an underserved win. McLaren had a wet battle royale in 2011, when Button made the right calls to take the honours. 2012 saw Grosjean piling on the pressure on Hamilton for half the race, before losing out to both the Englishman and Raikkonen. 2013 was Hamilton's first win for Mercedes. 2014 saw Ricciardo and Alonso hold off the Mercedes.

Hamilton, of course, could well count this his best circuit. He's had 4 victories - each time with Raikkonen second. Vettel has never won here - there's been no German win since 2004. Raikkonen has had to wait since 2005. McLaren have secured a lot of the victories in the last 10 years, but they're obviously going to need divine intervention here. Both of their drivers won their only victory before their respective title years here.

I doubt there'll be too much overtaking, but it often delivers intrigue and interest. Budapest is now a circuit with true history in F1. Will it be a Mercedes win? Well, it doesn't always follow...

well I did think Williams were going to struggle with their car but did not think they were so poor in the race

Mclaren got points I did not expect

I completely agree, just a racing incident.

DR made a do or die move on the entry into the corner (which should be applauded, as surely everyone wants to see cars racing each other for position). I personally think the Rosberg misjudged the amount of speed DR lost by the maneuverer and assumed he had run wide. Either that or he doesn't know how long his car is LOL

I thought Ricciardo was right to have a go because the win was on.. Rosberg misjudged the line to take and keep Ricciardo back. Daniel deserved the win today

Incidentally, this is the youngest podium (by average age) since 2008, and only the third one of the decade to be below an average age of 26.

YOUNGEST PODIUMS OF 2010s

1 HUNGARY 2015 (25y 1m) - VET KVY RIC

2 CANADA 2012 (25y 3m) - HAM GRO PER
3 AUSTRALIA 2011 (25y 6m) - VET HAM PET

OLDEST PODIUMS OF 2010s

1 EUROPE 2012 (35y 8m) -
ALO RAI MSC

2 SPAIN 2013 (32y 5m) - ALO RAI MAS
3 BRITAIN 2013 (32y 3m) - ROS WEB ALO

I presume that in his contract Hamilton has a clause which says that if he has a bad day then Mercedes will screw up Rosberg. What was he doing on medium tyres? It was obvious that cleaning up the mess would take several laps, leaving him with only a lap or two more than in his first stint but with a lighter car.

I went to a stock car meeting once, this was very similar.

I thought Nico asked for the mediums before the safety car, and Mercedes (at the time) said no? Oh well, it was certainly an eventful and action packed race. I'm sure Lewis is still wondering how he came away with more points than Nico.

As for Rosberg's puncture, just a racing incident. Mind you, that is still my opinion of Spa last year - the incident that turned the championship. :)

I think that Hamilton wasn't guilty in incident with Ricciardo.
At least he didn't drive specially to collision:
car was understeering on the cold tyres.
Decision of stewards with penalty in the race and after race
is too strange.

I totally agree. I don't see why either should have had a penalty. Hamilton outbraked himself and as for Rosberg v Danny, it was an absolute nothing incident. Hamilton, once he'd locked up, couldn't do anything else. You may as well fine Hulkanberg for causing avoidable damage to a tyre barrier.

I think he was lucky to avoid a penalty for the track limits incident; he was guilty of the same thing as Kvyat, and the way they both rejoined lunched Bottas' race.

Probably more worthy of censure than the collision to my mind.

Back
Top Bottom