Grand Prix 2015 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It is not the most popular of Grand Prix circuits. It is tight and twisty, staggeringly difficult to overtake on, and not especially scenic. Its nicknames hardly inspire confidence - "Monaco without the walls", "the Dustbowl", "Hungaboring". They're also not especially fair.

This is the circuit of the first Grand Prix of the Eastern Bloc, still the only one in that huge area of land between the Berlin Wall and the Black Sea. It is a circuit where the dominant team often fails to dominate: not the only circuit where Red Bull and Mercedes shared the wins between 2013 and 2014, but the only one where they won in the wrong order!

It has been the scene of some drama in the last 10 years as well! 2006 saw Alonso and Schumacher gain separate and equal time penalties before qualifying, and both fail to finish as Button took his inaugural spoils in the rain. 2007 saw the spark which lead to the McLaren implosion. 2008 saw Massa recover his form from a tough summer, but his engine to fail allowing in Kovalainen. 2009 saw the slowest circuit in the world see KERS big break through for Hamilton's McLaren. 2010 was the year of Vettel and 10 car lengths, handing Webber an underserved win. McLaren had a wet battle royale in 2011, when Button made the right calls to take the honours. 2012 saw Grosjean piling on the pressure on Hamilton for half the race, before losing out to both the Englishman and Raikkonen. 2013 was Hamilton's first win for Mercedes. 2014 saw Ricciardo and Alonso hold off the Mercedes.

Hamilton, of course, could well count this his best circuit. He's had 4 victories - each time with Raikkonen second. Vettel has never won here - there's been no German win since 2004. Raikkonen has had to wait since 2005. McLaren have secured a lot of the victories in the last 10 years, but they're obviously going to need divine intervention here. Both of their drivers won their only victory before their respective title years here.

I doubt there'll be too much overtaking, but it often delivers intrigue and interest. Budapest is now a circuit with true history in F1. Will it be a Mercedes win? Well, it doesn't always follow...

Ideal Lap (sum best sectors) in theQual:
Qual – No – Driver – Qual Result –Ideal Lap – Flaw
1 – 44 – L.HAMILTON – 01:22,020 – 01:21,987 – 00,033
2 – 6 – N.ROSBERG – 01:22,595 – 01:22,401 – 00,194
3 – 5 – S.VETTEL – 01:22,739 – 01:22,623 – 00,116
4 – 3 – D.RICCIARDO – 01:22,774 – 01:22,774 – 00,000
5 – 7 – K.RAIKKONEN – 01:23,020 – 01:22,971 – 00,049
6 – 77 – V.BOTTAS – 01:23,222 – 01:23,185 – 00,037
7 – 26 – D.KVYAT – 01:23,332 – 01:23,319 – 00,013
8 – 19 – F.MASSA – 01:23,537 – 01:23,435 – 00,102
9 – 33 – M.VERSTAPPEN – 01:23,679 – 01:23,529 – 00,150
10 – 8 – R.GROSJEAN – 01:24,181 – 01:23,704 – 00,477

very disappointed with Mclaren>:(:givemestrength: Jenson get your name signed on a Williams contract if you can

I was surprised to see Williams make it into Q3 with both cars but I expect the race for 3rd could be interesting between Vettel and Ricciardo and they could possibly challenge Rosberg

Hamilton if he gets off the line cleanly could disappear into the distance

Jenson get your name signed on a Williams contract if you can
Jenson's had his day. Time to give the Williams seat to their development driver Alex Lynn, winner of today's GP2 feature race. Good to see Claire Williams there to congratulate him at the end.

Ok then teabagyokel, Button and Lynn at Williams next year.

Sorry I'm drifting onto the wrong topic here. So talking of Button, does anyone think he has a chance of any points today (assuming, that is, the car is capable of reaching the end of the race under its own power)? Any chance of rain?

McLaren's season is beginning to resemble a Carry On film. Shame we don't get to hear all of the radio messages.

"OK Fernando, we've identified the problem. It shouldn't affect us".
Three seconds later: "Er, guys? It's just affected us."

Chad Stewarthill Whilst I would like to see Lynn in F1 the trouble with Williams is their hands are tied with too many external pressures from

i) Shareholders being a listed company
ii) Sponsors - even though Martini are the main sponsors , they are getting considerable backing from Bank of Brazil which makes it good for business to fill a Brazilian driver

iii) Mercedes engine - 7 yr deal so whether it requires a German driver or at least a Merc young driver in the team

I wonder if Button was in the car at Silverstone a few weeks ago whether he probably would have got 2nd in those conditions

Really yesterday was a real let down by Mclaren because I can only see Singapore now where they may get points which is pathetic seeing Sauber are now struggling and Toro Rosso havent got as many points as they should have

I just can see where the improvements are coming from

Completely off topic but......

Does anyone know what the classical music was on Sky's coverage about 20 minutes ago over a piece of old footage?

Can you rewind sky and shazzam it? ;)

*Edit Never mind ;)

Last edited:
A poor start by both Mercedes. Again.

Considering the change to the start procedures being introduced from the next race, this season could be far from over.

What changes? Instead of the engineers saying "Start map 1 clutch to yellow delta 5" they'll say "It's beans on toast for tea tonight"

Back
Top Bottom