Grand Prix 2015 Hungarian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

It is not the most popular of Grand Prix circuits. It is tight and twisty, staggeringly difficult to overtake on, and not especially scenic. Its nicknames hardly inspire confidence - "Monaco without the walls", "the Dustbowl", "Hungaboring". They're also not especially fair.

This is the circuit of the first Grand Prix of the Eastern Bloc, still the only one in that huge area of land between the Berlin Wall and the Black Sea. It is a circuit where the dominant team often fails to dominate: not the only circuit where Red Bull and Mercedes shared the wins between 2013 and 2014, but the only one where they won in the wrong order!

It has been the scene of some drama in the last 10 years as well! 2006 saw Alonso and Schumacher gain separate and equal time penalties before qualifying, and both fail to finish as Button took his inaugural spoils in the rain. 2007 saw the spark which lead to the McLaren implosion. 2008 saw Massa recover his form from a tough summer, but his engine to fail allowing in Kovalainen. 2009 saw the slowest circuit in the world see KERS big break through for Hamilton's McLaren. 2010 was the year of Vettel and 10 car lengths, handing Webber an underserved win. McLaren had a wet battle royale in 2011, when Button made the right calls to take the honours. 2012 saw Grosjean piling on the pressure on Hamilton for half the race, before losing out to both the Englishman and Raikkonen. 2013 was Hamilton's first win for Mercedes. 2014 saw Ricciardo and Alonso hold off the Mercedes.

Hamilton, of course, could well count this his best circuit. He's had 4 victories - each time with Raikkonen second. Vettel has never won here - there's been no German win since 2004. Raikkonen has had to wait since 2005. McLaren have secured a lot of the victories in the last 10 years, but they're obviously going to need divine intervention here. Both of their drivers won their only victory before their respective title years here.

I doubt there'll be too much overtaking, but it often delivers intrigue and interest. Budapest is now a circuit with true history in F1. Will it be a Mercedes win? Well, it doesn't always follow...

Currently being discussed on the H2H thread but I don't see how Ricciardo can be blamed for the actual incident (other than making an over ambitious attempt in the first place) as he never went off the circuit, maintained his line, and had his left wheels on the outside of the kerb so was on the limit of the track.

The driver in front on corner exit is entitled to take whichever line he pleases. We have seen this several times in recent years with Hamilton in particular aggressively squeezing the car on the outside of the corner off the circuit. Rosberg did nothing wrong and behaved exactly as expected, it was up to Ricciardo to anticipate such a move and avoid contact, as Rosberg and others have done countless times before. Instead he just kept his car on the outside and hoped that Rosberg was feeling generous.

Whether or not it was sensible of Rosberg to close the gap in such a manner considering his position in the championship is another matter, but the contact was not his fault.

I thought Rosberg was clumsy and should have been penalized. RIC definitely got a little ambitious and overshot, but he didn't take Nico out and managed to stay on the track. The fact he had two wheels off and was going straight with a smooth, constant acceleration shows that Nico just didn't know how long his own car was and made a clumsy move.

I don't see how Lewis got a drive through for sliding on cold tires yet Nico simply drove over RIC's wing and got NOTHING for it. The stewards seriously need to be consistent here.

With the Rosberg incident, I got the impression that the stewards blamed him, but decided not to punish him because of the fa g he lost so much time to the puncture!

Listened to it on the radio, it sounded exciting. Hopefully I'll get a chance to watch it this week...

I did the same for the second half of the race FB and you know you are missing a good one when even James Allen and Alan McNish can make it sound exciting.

Danni Kyvat looks happy!

11753705_924075300972293_3354483656420079557_n.jpg

They should've both got the same. I suppose in the end Kvyat's penalty was pointless, so it worked out.

I struggle to see how gaining an advantage over an opponent who is, himself, off the track can be penalised though.

With the Rosberg incident, I got the impression that the stewards blamed him, but decided not to punish him because of the fa g he lost so much time to the puncture!
I initially thought the same thing. But as Chad said....then why didn't they take the same approach with Hamilton? He had to change his front wing already so what was the point of the drive through?

The Rosberg/ Ricciardo incident was not the same as Hamiltons, Ricciardo had passed Rosberg on the inside and drifted to the track extremities in front of Rosberg, Rosberg then overtook Ricciardo and it was his duty to ensure he was clear of Ricciardo. With Hamilton he never made the pass and speared in amidships, so his fault, irrespective of grip on cold tyres, you don't attempt an overtake unless it it going to be clean and you're in full control, unfortunately Hamilton wasn't. Good try but got it wrong:whistle:

Hamilton was defending, not trying to make a pass. Riccardo was the one attacking, round the outside. When you do that, especially after a restart when tyres and brakes are cold, there's always a risk that the guy on the inside will understeer into you.

A better comparison would be between Hamilton and Maldonado. From Lewis' cockpit view you could see that he applied considerable steering lock, yet the car didn't turn in. Maldonado, on the other hand, didn't apply enough lock, as pointed out by Brundle at the time. He simply didn't leave Perez enough room on the outside and bashed him off the track. Just lucky it was wheel to wheel rather than Hamilton's hit on Ricciardo which was front wing to sidepod.

Back
Top Bottom