Pre-Season 2013 Season

My pick for 2013 is once again Alonso. Ferrari have now had a full year with their new car and now know where they need to make improvements. They lost their way a little during the last third of the season just gone, due mainly to having to rush their development program. They'll find the gains they need before next season gets under way and with the restrictions on DRS during qualifying, should have a much stronger year. It will be Alonso's best title chance since joining Ferrari.
Alonso could also find himself in the box seat in 2014 with the new engine regulations. A lot has been said about who will build the best V6, Mercedes or Renault, with very little mention of Ferrari, which is surprising. Ferrari built their reputation on V12's. The last time I looked a V6 was half a V12 so Ferrari will have a golden opportunity to use all their engine development experience. They built immensely powerful engines during the last turbo era but were let down by their cars handling. Things have changed dramatically since then and you can be sure in 2014 their cars will have huge power, reliability and handling.

DISCLAIMER: Nonsense being talked ahead:

Cursed cars 3 & 4 have gone to Ferrari. Title fight usually 1 vs 5 (VET vs BUT). That's a British Red 5 by the way, guys!

My numerological money (of which I have none) is on Button.

More nonsense:

Another interesting stat is that the drivers who won three WDCs in a row, also won a 4th and 5th in that row. So we might as well skip the next two years.

As HRT won't be competing next season, that means there will be six cars eliminated in Q1 and another six in Q2.

The main difference will be two of those eliminated in Q1 won't be from one of the "new" teams as they will only make up four of the cars, so the established teams at the bottom end of the grid will have to fight even harder to make it through to Q2.

Although there are no really big rule changes for next year, with the ban on unlimited DRS in Practice and Qualy, RB look set to be the hardest hit.

With RB never being the fastest car through the trap but with amazing aero and the ability to open the DRS earlier than anyone else, Vettle imparticular was able to eek out pole positions by the smallest (normally) of margins. With this benefit in quali gone, how long will it take RB to recover?

We saw the effect of the ban of the exhaust blown diffuser on RB at the start of 2012, will it be the same with the DRS? And when (unfortunately not 'if') will they have their "Singapore" moment where for a few races they were pretty invincible.

What I think will be more interesting, is to see if when they really can't get their low-top-speed philosophy to work, if they'll 'convert'. Although no match for Lewis, Sebastian didn't look too shabby with low-downforce in Abu Dhabi.

What I'll be most looking forward to in 2013 will be...

2014. No more of those ghastly high, stepped or stepped-&-shrouded noses but proper decent low ones, narrower front wings, V6 turbo engines with (hopefully) more of a roar than a high-pitched scream, and a Mercedes / Hamilton combo with a season's bedding-in and ready for a title fight.

As for 2013, I'm hoping for signs of promise from Merc with maybe the odd win for Lewis, further improvement from Williams, another near miss for the red team and a Mexican world champ.

I'm hoping for a Mexican world champ too :). Can't really see it happening though... Most likely it will be between Vettel and Alonso again.

Back
Top Bottom