Pre-Season 2013 Season

I'd keep Ricciardo, not so sure about Vergne. His qualifying performces this season have been pretty dire, he's in the group of suspects likely to not make it out of Q1 along with Senna, Massa and Kobayashi (and the 3 'new' team's drivers of course). Over the race distance he has matched Ricciardo, however when moving up the grid qualifying pace is more important IMO. Hence I'd get da Costa or Frijns in.

may I defend Kobi please? I think other than one race when he had car problems Kobi hasn't gone out in Q3 once.

As for Vergne it is true that he's had some shocking quali but I think he's made up for it in race performances. He especially had a good race in Korea just gone. I think he has more potential than Ricciardo if I'm honest.

Hmm I don't have any stats to back my claims up, just my general observations as the season has progressed. So you're probably right.

As for Korea, wasn't Ricciardo ahead until he had brake issues?

I didn't say he did better than Riccardo just he had a great race and some great overtakes. Also if we're playing that game he's also been in front of Ricciardo in the championship since round 4.

I won't argue that he's been on and off this year but he is the youngest driver in the field and had less experience in single seaters than anyone in the field. He looked very good in the world series last year and I think all that should earn him a second season. If we're in same situation this time next year I might be with you.

Ok I wasn't trying to 'play that game'. Just saying if a driver puts in great race than that's good, but it would certainly be dimished somewhat if their team-mate was having a better race, that's all.

Given the choice I'd consign it to the depths of hell.

However, as it would appear to be here to stay then usage during qualifying should match usage during the race.
What we have currently is a complete fudge.

I'm guessing usage in qualifying won't be dependent on being one second behind the car in front...

Hmm not sure I like that. It's cool to see which drivers and cars can use the DRS through difficult corners. Not to mention this could hurt the 7th gear (that is needed to overtake) selection badly if teams choose to take the overall quicker lap time with less top speed because DRS isn't as beneficial in qualifying.

One for the purists I think...

Using DRS throughout the lap during qualifying is a cop-out; the teams didn't have to make as much of a compromise with straight-line speed and downforce etc. Now they will really have to think about set-up!

Not to mention this could hurt the 7th gear (that is needed to overtake) selection badly if teams choose to take the overall quicker lap time with less top speed because DRS isn't as beneficial in qualifying.
That's the dilemma ;).
But I don't think that this will be too much of a problem. DRS is often placed on the longest straight anyway, and on a few circuits there are two.

Yet more changes for 2013.
After Hamilton's and Vettel's low fuel qualifying incidents this year, the "force majeure" element of the rules is going to be removed.

"We discussed it last week in the TWG and the consensus of opinion is to remove the term 'force majeure' and make it clear what is allowed and is not allowed.

"I think we will probably end up with a rule that doesn't mention force majeure and simply says that if you stop on the circuit you have to have enough fuel in the car.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/104256

Not to mention this could hurt the 7th gear (that is needed to overtake) selection badly if teams choose to take the overall quicker lap time with less top speed because DRS isn't as beneficial in qualifying.
At first I thought it was a dilemma, but not so much anymore. Top speed is always reached on the longest straight, where the DRS zone is. They still get the effect from it there. In other sections they won't be as close to the top speed, and not hitting the limiter anyway. Except Monza where they may hit top speed in two or three sections.

Back
Top Bottom