Grand Prix 2013 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Finally F1 is back! After three months without racing, waiting for car launches and testing, the first race of the 2013 Formula One season at Melbourne is just around the corner.

A quick look on what has changed compared to last year:

Teams:
HRT are not on the grid anymore.

Drivers:
- Lewis Hamilton replaces Michael Schumacher at Mercedes.
- Sergio Perez replaces Lewis Hamilton at McLaren.
- Sauber start this season with a completely new line-up as Nico Hülkenberg and Esteban Gutierrez replace Sergio Perez and Kamui Kobayashi.
- Adrian Sutil replaces Nico Hülkenberg at Force India.
- Valtteri Bottas is Williams’ new driver, replacing Bruno Senna.
- At Caterham Vitaly Petrov and Heikki Kovalainen are being replaced by Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde.
- Marussia bring on Jules Bianchi and Max Chilton in favor of Timo Glock and Charles Pic.

For the complete line-ups please check this brilliant overview from teabagyokel http://cliptheapex.com/threads/2013-driver-by-driver-preview.6011/

Circuits:
- The German Grand Prix is being held at the Nürburgring instead of Hockenheim.
- There won't be a race in Valencia this year, as the Spanish Grand Prix will alternate between Barcelona and Valencia from now on, starting with Barcelona.

Pre-season testing suggests that (as almost always) it is almost impossible to predict which teams will be at the very front of the grid. Red Bull look as strong as ever. Ferrari look significantly better than at this stage last year. McLaren seem to be struggling a bit. Mercedes appear to have made some progress over the last weeks and might be able to surprise us all. Lotus look like they could be fighting at the top this year as well.

In the midfield battle it seems that Williams and Sauber could have the upper hand over Toro Rosso and Force India, who have waited a very very long time to announce their second driver, Adrian Sutil.

Caterham and Marussia will probably be at the back end of the grid again. It seems very unlikely that any of them is going to be able to fight for points consistently. What is interesting though is, since HRT aren’t on the grid anymore, there will now be six drivers eliminated in Q1, which means, that apart from the Caterham and Marussia guys, there will now be two drivers of other teams out of qualifying after the first part of it.

How will Lewis Hamilton do for Mercedes? Is Mercedes’ completely new structured team going to improve? Is Sebastian Vettel going to pave his way for a fourth consecutive championship? How will Sergio Perez settle in at McLaren? Is Jenson Button going to win for the fourth time in Melbourne? Will Ferrari be able to win races from the outset?

Many questions! At least some of them will be answered in two weeks’ time at the 2013 Australian Grand Prix at Melbourne!
Let’s get it on!!

Not that you can ever get anything from Practice One but it looks like the usual suspects at the front with McLaren not with the quickest car this time around

Indeed. Problems getting live timing doesn't help to tell us anything about where the guys are at. The commentators haven't helped by not giving any clear information about how many laps they've been running or how consistently they've run. If that's what they deliver up on FP2 we will still be in the dark until race day!

For what it's worth ...

FP1 Fastest lap times:
FP1 Oz 2013.jpg

Whitmarsh just talked to Crofty live on the wall. He said Mclaren are worried about pace (9th and 11th at the time) they are lacking downforce and there was a lot of head scratching going on at Mclaren.

Oh dear.

Just watching the Team Principals Press Conference, although of the 5 people there, only 2 are Team Principals (go figure) and Martin Whitmarsh looks a worried man. Also, read these quotes from Sam Michael in Andrew Benson's column

We made quite a few changes to the car over the winter, and we still believe they will be good for the course of the season.
"But we are still unoptimised in the areas we need to be, which comes from our own knowledge of where they are not as good as what they should be.

Now you know why Ron took him on - pure Ronspeak!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21796574

Christ. Already fearing a RB and SV procession this year and the season's only a few hours old. You'd think after 3 years one of the other big teams would have pegged them by now.

Just watching P2 and had a flashback after Button complained of a lack of rear grip :D

Judging by the comments from the engineers and drivers, they all seem to think Vettel is in the driving seat again.

I reality, another Red Bull/Vettel benefit would be horribly dull but it does look ominous. Maybe the best we can hope for is that he beats Schumacher's 5 in a row WDCs...

Considering McLaren had a bigger advantage in Melbourne last year and finished 3rd in constructors, how about we stop throwing our hands in the air ;)

Jenson Button said:
The way things have gone today, I think points would be very positive.
We're obviously not quick. The feeling is not good with the car, so we've got a lot of homework.

I'm not sure someone would sandbag that much due to looking like a complete liar (not just sandbagging) if the opposite turns out to be true.

McLaren are in trouble early on, by their own admission. So the trend continues. McLaren possibly playing catch up all season again due to a poor start or reliability issues. Bugger.

This article sums it up after P1 and p2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21798404

I watched both practice sessions. As you all have said 2 things are without doubt, Red Bull look worryingly good and McLaren look worryingly bad. When I say Red Bull, I guess I mean Vettel as Webber was fast but nothing to worry about, but Vettel was on another planet. He could easily have gone 0.5 seconds faster as he got held up by traffic on his first lap when he was that amount up before sector 3 and then he set the fastest time on his 3rd lap. Their long run pace looked good to start off with but they suffered more degradation than Ferrari and Lotus so that is our only hope.

Talking of Ferrari and Lotus, both looked strong - I have a feeling Lotus have a chance of winning this grand prix as they can look after the tyres so well but Ferrari looked to have outright fastest long run pace, however, we don't know fuel loads. Ferrari couldn't hold the supersofts together for a whole lap which was interesting. Good to see Massa up there pushing Alonso.

So Mercedes next - they look strong on 1 lap pace but I've seen no evidence on long run pace that makes me think they'll be close to the top 3. Hamilton had splitter damage so his long run was not representative and Nico's long run was very inconsistent but he did set a few decent lap times, dipping into the 1.32's once.

Going back to McLaren - even though I was expecting them to be behind the other 4 aforementioned teams, I cannot believe how bad that car looks on track. They always have a very stiffly sprung suspension that causes the car to bobble around a lot on track but watching their car down the main straight and into turn 1 it was horrific. The driver was bouncing up and down inside the car and the wheel was bouncing for seconds after it went over a kerb. I've never seen Martin Whitmarsh be so downbeat and honest; ever. He looked like a broken man in the press conference and whilst talking on the pit wall. In the conference when he started talking, Eric Boullier thought he was going to pull off some usual jokes and turned to him with a smile, but then he immediately realised that Martin was not in a good place and suddenly looked away out of respect.

Martin actually didn't look too well. I thought he didn't look too good in an interview after the final test - he was very stressed. So hopefully from a personal perspective he is OK. He must be under a massive amount of pressure - no matter what they are saying about the "development potential" of this car, it looks like the decision to throw away the fastest car of last year and build a new one that looks shockingly bad at the minute, will haunt the team.

Final thought on two people Bianchi, very quick in the Marussia. Then Sutil, on his first race weekend back is 9th in the time sheets, best of the midfield teams/drivers and nearly a second ahead of the massively overrated Di Resta. Good on you Adrian! I think Force India should be running Sutil and Bianchi...

Back
Top Bottom