Grand Prix 2013 Australian Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Finally F1 is back! After three months without racing, waiting for car launches and testing, the first race of the 2013 Formula One season at Melbourne is just around the corner.

A quick look on what has changed compared to last year:

Teams:
HRT are not on the grid anymore.

Drivers:
- Lewis Hamilton replaces Michael Schumacher at Mercedes.
- Sergio Perez replaces Lewis Hamilton at McLaren.
- Sauber start this season with a completely new line-up as Nico Hülkenberg and Esteban Gutierrez replace Sergio Perez and Kamui Kobayashi.
- Adrian Sutil replaces Nico Hülkenberg at Force India.
- Valtteri Bottas is Williams’ new driver, replacing Bruno Senna.
- At Caterham Vitaly Petrov and Heikki Kovalainen are being replaced by Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde.
- Marussia bring on Jules Bianchi and Max Chilton in favor of Timo Glock and Charles Pic.

For the complete line-ups please check this brilliant overview from teabagyokel http://cliptheapex.com/threads/2013-driver-by-driver-preview.6011/

Circuits:
- The German Grand Prix is being held at the Nürburgring instead of Hockenheim.
- There won't be a race in Valencia this year, as the Spanish Grand Prix will alternate between Barcelona and Valencia from now on, starting with Barcelona.

Pre-season testing suggests that (as almost always) it is almost impossible to predict which teams will be at the very front of the grid. Red Bull look as strong as ever. Ferrari look significantly better than at this stage last year. McLaren seem to be struggling a bit. Mercedes appear to have made some progress over the last weeks and might be able to surprise us all. Lotus look like they could be fighting at the top this year as well.

In the midfield battle it seems that Williams and Sauber could have the upper hand over Toro Rosso and Force India, who have waited a very very long time to announce their second driver, Adrian Sutil.

Caterham and Marussia will probably be at the back end of the grid again. It seems very unlikely that any of them is going to be able to fight for points consistently. What is interesting though is, since HRT aren’t on the grid anymore, there will now be six drivers eliminated in Q1, which means, that apart from the Caterham and Marussia guys, there will now be two drivers of other teams out of qualifying after the first part of it.

How will Lewis Hamilton do for Mercedes? Is Mercedes’ completely new structured team going to improve? Is Sebastian Vettel going to pave his way for a fourth consecutive championship? How will Sergio Perez settle in at McLaren? Is Jenson Button going to win for the fourth time in Melbourne? Will Ferrari be able to win races from the outset?

Many questions! At least some of them will be answered in two weeks’ time at the 2013 Australian Grand Prix at Melbourne!
Let’s get it on!!

The gap in 2nd practice was even bigger which is more worrying for Mclaren

As for Red Bull Vettel loves to show off just how fast he is in these situations ... Lotus and Mercedes have got the speed to threaten ad Alonso is closer to the front

Mclaren whilst way off the pace first race they should take a leaf out of Ferrari and Alonso last year if they keep plugging away it is still impossible to be in the running for the championship

the rain could throw things a bit and you know who is the best in these conditions

I guess Gary Anderson was right the Mclaren has understeer and stiff but it appears to be more troublesome than expected

As for Mclaren's problems I wonder how much the situation with Paddy Lowe sitting at home and having to pay Mercedes money for engines instead of spending on R & D is hurting them

The thing that shocked me most about the McLaren, compared to the other front running cars (assuming you consider Mclaren front running) was how badly it appeared to change direction. The McLaren's always look stiffly sprung compared to the other cars but it just didn't look comfortable when the drivers tried to get it through some of the more complex series of corners.

As for Mclaren's problems I wonder how much the situation with Paddy Lowe sitting at home and having to pay Mercedes money for engines instead of spending on R & D is hurting them

I think McLaren just took a punt this year ... a "dead" season before the rule change to try something different in the hope that it might work... since they have not had much WDC and WCC success recently... the clock is 3 minutes past 12... still early days... but looking like a tough weekend...

I wonder how nice JB will be if Lewis comes up to lap him on 48 tours into the race... I remember how frosty these moments were when they were team mates... >:(

McLaren took a punt in 2011 with their car and that didn't go to well. Then, they also had a revolutionary car with the promise that it would provide a better base for evolution over the season. Following that, they went for another revolution for 2012, which went a lot better. Another revolution this year which we are yet to know the value of but not looking good. So... revolution, revolution, revolution. It's not a good platform for stable progress, as seems to be quite evident. They never seem to know where they are or where they are going and keep changing path. This is true of many other teams but you would expect McLaren, with their resources to take a more evolutionary path. It can be likened to the writer who throws away his manuscripts every time he gets to writing the last chapter.

On another note, they now have a car with too much understeer and two drivers that that are not renowned for a wide operating range. Would they be looking better than they are now with a Hamilton behind the wheel, who is renowned for his innate ability to induce oversteer? I am certain that they would.

When you look at the McLaren team and the Mercedes team and measure their current stock on paper, allowing for talent within the team and the ability to attract and retain talent, then the scales have swung tremendously towards the Mercedes works team. Add to this the instability in McLaren's sponsorship and engine-supply and they have not put themselves in a very good position. I don't claim to be able to do a better job than anyone at McLaren but I still watch them continuously trip themselves up in absolute astonishment.

It's nice to have so many people around who seem to know exactly what McLaren's problems are, it's just a pity they don't, I guess it must be just their general lack of experience in formula one I suppose...

Hang on wasn't the 2009 car a bit of a pig but was winning races by the end of the season or am I just imagining that....

There have been a few comments on the Paul Hembery interview at the end of FP2 so here's his full (interpreted) summary as I happen to be taking some notes at the time. Although they didn't ask him about the track temperature making a difference on tyre performance and life, but Vettel did comment on it during his interview.
  • Medium - 22-24 laps with minimal degradation during FP1 (highest track temperature of the day)
  • Super Soft is 1 sec quicker than medium, lasting about 8 or 9 laps
  • Teams qualifying on Super Soft will maximum get to lap 10 before a change which is right on the edge of two stops as 3 of those laps will be during qualifying.
  • On Super Soft in Q3 drivers won't compromise position for tyre wear
  • Pirelli wanted to be aggressive with Super Soft choice and they were aiming for the teams to have a 2 or maybe 3 stop strategy because it has been a 1 stop race the last few seasons when only one step in the tyre selections.
  • It should be on the limit of two stops with teams on that Iimit, needing to take advantage of track evolution
  • Other teams may throw in a short Super Soft stint at the end
  • The last stint on Super Softs in FP2 was with full fuel to test the extremes of wear on Super Soft
  • There is a huge evolution of the track at Melbourne due to 11 support races

The Red Bull does look good just hope SV doesn't run away with it this year. Happy for him to qualify on pole though to help with my Bonus Question :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom