Grand Prix 2012 Korean Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The 2012 season is down to the final quarter with just five races remaining.

McLaren seem to have run out of steam and barring an incredible run of results, coupled with some misfortune for the other front runners, it looks like they won't be taking any silverware home with them this year. Again.

Alonso has enjoyed an incredible stint at the front for the previous eight races since the European GP.
What's more incredible is that includes two non-scoring races, thanks mainly to his rivals messing up, all too frequently.

That looks to be coming to an end though as Red Bull seem to have rediscovered their form from last year and barring mistakes, Vettel should pass him at Korea to take the lead in the WDC.
In fact, it's hard to see past Vettel and Red Bull for both championships now, which would make it three in a row for both.

Which means it's all about the runner up places now.
Second place could go to any one of five different drivers: Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Webber, and Button.

A decent result for Massa finally saw him break clear of the bottom group of points scorers; jumping PĂ©rez into ninth place, who ironically managed to take himself out trying to overtake the driver he's replacing at McLaren next year.
As Brundle would say, "he ran out of talent".

Can Kobayashi repeat his podium and improve his prospects for next year?

Can Grosjean get past the first corner without hitting anyone?

All these questions and more will be answered in a little under six days.

Last year's podium consisted of Vettel, Hamilton and Webber and it wouldn't be too much of a surprise to see that repeated this year.

Circuit details and stat's here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/korean-international-circuit/

The start could be interesting tomorrow.

-------------------------------------------------------------

...especially considering the two long straights immediately after the start. We know from sector one times that the McLaren and Ferrari have higher top speeds. It could indeed be interesting.

I'm excited for the start..Prediction: Vet and Hamilton battle it out and have Alonso slip by and pressure Webber, then passing Webber on the long straight, taking the lead and going on to a close victory...

The start could be interesting tomorrow.
Webber is notorious for getting away slowly and with Vettel on the dirty side, they could be side by side into turn 1.

Perhaps Hamilton can take advantage as he's on the clean side behind Webber?

I hate to be negative but i think Hamilton is going to be the most disadvantaged. Alonso will just follow Vettel through and we could easily have this formation by turn 3
Vettel
Alonso
Webber
Hamilton

The inevitable will happen, Vettel gets a better start than Webber, Webber goes to cover the inside, Vettel breaks too late and both Red Bulls out, RoGro gets a lightning start but doesn't notice the stalled Alonso and runs straight into the back of him, Hamilton goes on to win, Button and Schumi have a titanic battle for third with Schumi making a brave move on the last corner for third, Raikkonen gets second and Rosberg and Hulkenberg are in fifth and sixth. Kovalainen manges to squeeze into 11th after Maldonado takes out di Resta with Pic getting a best finish of 12th after an impressive move round the outside of Perez!

Last week Massa started in 11th position and due to having nice new tyres he stayed out longer than higher qualifiers who srtaed on used tyres. The result was that after his first pit stop he was in second place and then had a quiet run to the finish.

Button may have been slower through the speed traps but that was with free use of DRS. In the race when he comes up behind drivers he will be using DRS whilst they are not so he should have some speed advantage. I can't see the two Mercedes drivers finishing in front of him.

Turn 1 is very short and its a 90 degree corner and it could a bit of Spa concertina

We know Webber is a slow starter and Vettel will do the wall squeeze to stop either Hamilton or Alonso to get pass him which could take a few car out

Does anyone remember Alonsos pace on the super sorftsin Singapore? I missed that race and It would be interesting to know if he still has great pace on the super soft at the end of the stint like he did at Monaco and Canada.

I have put my race prediction in a sealed envelop in my desk drawer - only to be opened after the race has finished and will be revealed tomorrow noon!

eeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr what happened at the start? eeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrr tell us about the overtake? eeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrr what are your title hopes now? eeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr yeah I dunno.....

After watching FP2 and qualifying I have become increasingly worried with the pit exit of this track. In FP2 many cars locked up their fronts and went straight on through the pit exit. I just feel it is ripe for a T-bone incident. I can't remember if it has always been like that. I seem to remember the pit exit wrapping around the outside of the run off area and joining back on the main straight. Could be getting it mixed up with the video game.

It looks like a VET victory will be on the cards tomorrow. I see the only thing hampering him is reliability and I don't see that as being too likely. The McLarens will struggle.

Here's hoping I am wrong on all fronts.

Edit: after watching a replay from 2010 I see that the pit exit has always been the same. Sorry about that.

Ferrari now take Mclaren for 2nd place. Kimi now the only man with a half chance of catching Alonso and Seb.

If Mclarens form continues like this Lotus could push them into 4th.

Back
Top Bottom