Grand Prix 2012 Korean Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The 2012 season is down to the final quarter with just five races remaining.

McLaren seem to have run out of steam and barring an incredible run of results, coupled with some misfortune for the other front runners, it looks like they won't be taking any silverware home with them this year. Again.

Alonso has enjoyed an incredible stint at the front for the previous eight races since the European GP.
What's more incredible is that includes two non-scoring races, thanks mainly to his rivals messing up, all too frequently.

That looks to be coming to an end though as Red Bull seem to have rediscovered their form from last year and barring mistakes, Vettel should pass him at Korea to take the lead in the WDC.
In fact, it's hard to see past Vettel and Red Bull for both championships now, which would make it three in a row for both.

Which means it's all about the runner up places now.
Second place could go to any one of five different drivers: Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Webber, and Button.

A decent result for Massa finally saw him break clear of the bottom group of points scorers; jumping PĂ©rez into ninth place, who ironically managed to take himself out trying to overtake the driver he's replacing at McLaren next year.
As Brundle would say, "he ran out of talent".

Can Kobayashi repeat his podium and improve his prospects for next year?

Can Grosjean get past the first corner without hitting anyone?

All these questions and more will be answered in a little under six days.

Last year's podium consisted of Vettel, Hamilton and Webber and it wouldn't be too much of a surprise to see that repeated this year.

Circuit details and stat's here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/korean-international-circuit/

Sebastien shows how many more races he plans to win in 2012, which is a bit confusing as there's only 4 left...

131905439_11n.jpg

Not much on here about Ferrari's call to get Massa to slow down. Not sure it made sense as the pace Felipe was showing I reckon he could have caught Webber. Presume the bird in the hand philosophy was what Ferrari were considering.

And deservedly so. What does that say about a team that 3 races ago asserted that It had the fastest car in F1?

I believe it is my duty to point out that McLaren (Whitmarsh, Lowe, Lewis , Jenson, etc) haven't asserted that they have the fastest car. On occasion they have admitted they had the fastest car on the day. But they have also gone to some lengths to play down speculation that they have the fastest car.

Not withstanding that they have had the fastest car more often than not and their strategies and reliability have been those of the demented.

Not much on here about Ferrari's call to get Massa to slow down. Not sure it made sense as the pace Felipe was showing I reckon he could have caught Webber. Presume the bird in the hand philosophy was what Ferrari were considering.

I bet that wiped the smirk of Smedley's face after getting over excited by Massa cruising past Hamilton's handicapped McLaren.

A dreadfully boring race with Vettel winning from lights to flag as expected.

It's all over for McLaren now, for both championships and they're probably not even going to be runner up in the WCC.

What a disappointing end to the season it's going to be now that Vettel is going to run away with it.

Ye, it's such a shame that Vettel and Red Bull look so dominant. Not that I'd begrudge Seb another title but it will just rob us of a season finale. I can only see reliability problems stopping him running away with it now.

I know I sound like a scratched record but McLaren have conducted the most awful F1 Championship campaign I have ever witnessed. They couldn't have got it more wrong from beginning to end, and this is most definitely the end of their 2012 Championship campaign. :(

The car has been awesome, their drivers great but their strategy, reliability and understanding of what it takes to win an F1 Championship has been woefully lacking.

I don't think you're alone in that observation either snowy. They're strategy at times has been terrible (think Button at Hungary), the pits stops at the start of the year were poor and the general leadership under Whitmarsh has been sketchy at best. Add to the fact that for most of the year they have had the best car compounds these problems. They have thrown both titles away and it has to rest with those at the top.

Perhaps this is for another thread but they seem to lack the ruthlessness and steel that they had when Dennis was directly involved on the pit wall - I don't think MW can provide that.

I don't think you're alone in that observation either snowy. They're strategy the pits stops at the start of the year were poor and the general leadership under Whitmarsh has been sketchy at best.

Perhaps this is for another thread but they seem to lack the ruthlessness and steel that they had when Dennis was directly involved on the pit wall - I don't think MW can provide that.

.Hallelujah......
The frustration has driven me to drink.....:embarrassed:

To me it shows that they're focusing on the WDC, not the WCC. Massa passing Alonso would have cost them valuable points in the WDC. Maybe they would have gained points in the WCC, but it's not a certainty.

So basically they went for an extra gain of 2 points for Alonso in the WDC rather than the potential 6 point net gain in the WCC if Massa would have been able to overtake Webber.

Back
Top Bottom