Grand Prix 2012 Korean Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

The 2012 season is down to the final quarter with just five races remaining.

McLaren seem to have run out of steam and barring an incredible run of results, coupled with some misfortune for the other front runners, it looks like they won't be taking any silverware home with them this year. Again.

Alonso has enjoyed an incredible stint at the front for the previous eight races since the European GP.
What's more incredible is that includes two non-scoring races, thanks mainly to his rivals messing up, all too frequently.

That looks to be coming to an end though as Red Bull seem to have rediscovered their form from last year and barring mistakes, Vettel should pass him at Korea to take the lead in the WDC.
In fact, it's hard to see past Vettel and Red Bull for both championships now, which would make it three in a row for both.

Which means it's all about the runner up places now.
Second place could go to any one of five different drivers: Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Webber, and Button.

A decent result for Massa finally saw him break clear of the bottom group of points scorers; jumping PĂ©rez into ninth place, who ironically managed to take himself out trying to overtake the driver he's replacing at McLaren next year.
As Brundle would say, "he ran out of talent".

Can Kobayashi repeat his podium and improve his prospects for next year?

Can Grosjean get past the first corner without hitting anyone?

All these questions and more will be answered in a little under six days.

Last year's podium consisted of Vettel, Hamilton and Webber and it wouldn't be too much of a surprise to see that repeated this year.

Circuit details and stat's here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/korean-international-circuit/

Massa caught Alonso about half way through the race. If Ferrari had let him go, he would have had a good shot at Webber and might have been able to challenge Vettel. That would have benefited Alonso and maximised WCC points more than keeping Felipe behind him out of dogmatic maintenance of the team hierarchy.

Can someone get an on-board of the first lap from Schumi's cockpit? I'm just wondering whether Kobayashi's puncture happened before or after the incident with Rosberg and Button. I'm assuming it happened after since the stewards would have had access to this footage but I'd rather be sure.

I was surprised the Ferraris didn't team up to DRS-each other up to the back of Webber. It might not have worked, almost certainly wouldn't in fact, but it was worth a try.

Daniel Ricciardo had a brilliant race and was unfortunate not to beat his team mate. Kamui said in the interview that he was waiting for someone to brake - unbelievable! Why not try braking when it's time to brake, and let the others worry about themselves?!

I feel for Schumacher, he's going to finish his career in a car that only qualifies moderately well and promptly sinks like a stone as soon as the lights go out.

As for McLaren, things go from worse to horrendous. Lewis might be best advised not to take too many of their "ideas" with him to Brackley next season.

Massa caught Alonso about half way through the race. If Ferrari had let him go, he would have had a good shot at Webber and might have been able to challenge Vettel. That would have benefited Alonso and maximised WCC points more than keeping Felipe behind him out of dogmatic maintenance of the team hierarchy.
Given Massa's record that may have been a gamble too far for Ferrari?

Well it wasn't the world most exciting F1 GP ever. But a lot of things are starting to fall into order with regards to the championship again.

It's quite clear Red Bull have the momentum to win this championship. Vettel looked flawless as ever and looked very cool and composed in charge of this race. Rocky needs to stop worrying and let Vettel have a bit of fun out front though.

Webber produced a fine back-up performance for Vettel and picked up the pace when he needed to at the end to fend of Alonso's threat.

Alonso, another solid podium and was only really in a fight with Webber, as his team-mate produce a fine shielding performance.

Massa, well in recent race's he's starting to look much like the Massa of old. Pace is starting to come back, if it wasn't for the fact he was racing to save his seat for next year and puts these type of performances in all year round.

Raikkonen produced another fine points finish for Lotus, thoroughly enjoyed his and Hamilton's little dicing in the middle of the race, kept me awake tbh.

Hulkenberg, well he's starting to look like the driver I knew from his GP2 days. He really did do well in his dice with the quicker Grosjean.

Really do feel for Grosjean, he's had a lot of bad press recently but kept his noise out of trouble and produced some very good wheel to wheel racing. Although I almost had my heart in my mouth when he went over that silly last corner curb, something needs to be done about that.

Vergne and Riccardo hats off to them produced a fine performance and the fourth team on the day to score double points. Also loved the dicing between all the midfield runners.

HAMILTON, HAMILTON, HAMILTON. Boy the car let you down big style today and with that your Championship hopes mate. Feel sorry for ya like as your the one outta the top half dozen i'd really love to win the title.

As for the rest of the race, I was gutted for Button he was gonna be on a fine strategy for a points paying position. :(. WTF was Kobayashi doing deserved drive through for last weekends hero.

Also think the Marshal's could have been quicker to get Nico Rosberg's car moved. The yellow flag waving for well over half a dozen laps wasn't needed. It really did effect the race.

Anyways Championship is Vettel's to lose now, with Ferrari needing to go back to the drawing board :ok:.

All in all Roll on India :).

Actually looking back at the Alonso, Massa thing it seems to me that Alonso was trying to save his tyres so he could push at the end and try to beat Webber, I believe the team asked Massa to drop back so that he was not pushing Alonso into using up his tyres to soon.

Well that's the only explanation I can come up with anyway and Alonso did start putting in faster laps towards the end, so it may not be an altogether ridiculous theory...

Tacitus if Massa could have caught Vettel that would have reduced Vettel's points by 7. If he were unable to catch him Felipe could easily still have dropped back later. I think that would have been worth a go with half the race left. But unfortunately Ferrari are still obsessed with FIFTY (even though he wasn't on this occasion).

Chad Stewarthill, I don't think there's even a remote possibility that Massa could have caught Vettel.
Although it would have been quite funny to see Massa push and maybe pass Webber, to stop along the track and let Alonso by in the last corner.

Oh for heaven's sake. Massa was not going to catch and overtake Webber. Just have a look at who put in the fastest lap of the race. Every time Alonso closed the gap Webber opened it again.

Ferrari have a drive who is now 6 points behind the leader, they are 77 points behind Red Bull in the WCC. To achieve the WCC means RBR have to have a terrible end to the season with cars breaking down, in that eventually Ferrari probably still have a better chance of the WDC.

I just hope that all those who are complaining about the Ferrari drivers keeping station do not include any who were saying that Button should give way to Hamilton.

/rant

Actually looking back at the Alonso, Massa thing it seems to me that Alonso was trying to save his tyres so he could push at the end and try to beat Webber, I believe the team asked Massa to drop back so that he was not pushing Alonso into using up his tyres to soon.

Well that's the only explanation I can come up with anyway and Alonso did start putting in faster laps towards the end, so it may not be an altogether ridiculous theory...
Your quite right Mephistopheles. When Alonso turned on the pace during the last 10 laps Massa couldn't stay with him and finished 6 sec's down on Alonso.

Back
Top Bottom