Grand Prix 2011 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So on to China, with the teams only having a few days rest after Malaysia. Last year Red Bull dominated qualifying with Christian Horner describing Vettel’s pole lap as “phenomenal”.

Come the race, however, changeable weather caught out both the Red Bull drivers and Lewis Hamilton as they pitted early expecting heavy rain. This left Jenson Button, who chose not to go in for inters, in the lead and he, along with Nico Rosberg and Robert Kubica who also stayed out on slicks, showed that it’s all about being on the right tyres at the right time.

The race should also be remembered for what looked like an astonishing start from Fernando Alonso. I watched it in an Italian hotel and the crowd literally went wild, only for the assembled throng to mope to the bar a few minutes later as Alonso was given a drive through penalty for jumping the start.

Button’s more mature tyre strategy won him the race, although he was under pressure late on from Hamilton, and the team scored their first 1-2 since Monza 2007 with Rosberg taking third for Mercedes.

2011 has been a Red Bull Fest, or perhaps more accurately a Vettel Fest, so far with the young German taking pole and race wins in the first two Grands Prix whilst his team mate has struggled with various car problems and, might I postulate, some psychological scarring from last season. McLaren are much closer than pre-season testing indicated they would be and Renault have surprised everyone with 3rd spot at both races and an ability to get off the start line reminiscent of the Benetton launch control system.

Ferrari are nowhere near where they feel they should and there will be many tired faces in their pit garage as managers and engineers flit backwards and forwards between Europe and the Far East trying to understand what is going on. Similarly Mercedes are still not even close to where they expect to be whilst Sauber and Force India are looking good for minor placings, dicing with the Toro Rosso’s.

Toward the back, Williams (it hurts me to say) look to have taken 1 step forward and 2 back with their new car and are now competing with Team Lotus to be the best of the worst. Virgin appear not to have moved any further forward compared to 2010 and HRT, despite no pre-season testing, look to have a car which, once a bit more sorted, might get ahead of them. I suppose the question there is can they sort the car?

Oh, I nearly forgot tyres. 55 pit stops in Malaysia, more marbles than a game of KerPlunk and rubber wearing out faster than Russell Brand’s bed sheets. No sign of the wet tyres yet, will Shanghai throw us a surprise (sorry, had to slip that in)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write-up, see here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/shanghai-international-circuit/

I'm surprised nothing was said by the stewards of Alonso's wing deploying outside the DRS zone.

Considering Sauber have been DSQed, Hamilton was penalised for transgressing the rules, this is a clear breach of the rules.
Hasn't the system been designed to fail in the down/closed position?

What was abundantly clear from the race though is that had Vettel been on a 3 stop strategy, he would have won it by a significant margin.

Mark's drive from the back to finish just a few seconds off the lead is proof of that.

The thing is Bro, you don't know before the race, or even by the first round of stops. Webbers late pace was no doubt helped by a set of option tyres

Another good race. Sepang and now China.

Firstly I'll like to congratulate Hamilton on a great race. Also Webber did a brilliant race on his strategy to go on hard tires towards the beginning of race.

Good to see that Red Bull, Mclaren, Mercedes and Ferrari are all very competitive in race trim atleast and having a good battle. And also we did not see best from Renault, so we can see these 5 teams fighting it out in next few races.

Overtaking and tire management and pit strategies were just brilliant.

Also nice to see Williams finally finishing the race. All cars managing to finish the race except Algersauri whose wheel came lose.

Dreadful shame for Jaime.
Great qualifying and through no fault of his own, he's out of the race due to a loose wheel.

Turkey should be interesting as it will be tougher on the tyres.

Wow. I don't know where to start. What an amazing drive from Lewis. I can't remember anyone going from 5th to 1st in so few laps. In my mind, this proves that Lewis is the best driver in the world, because no one, even Nando could've turned that into a race win.

I think Lewis' strategy really suited him. Just give him a strategy where he can be aggressive and it will play right into his hands. I think if an extra stop is being considered an option, Lewis should be the first to take it. Lewis doesn't want to hear "okay lewis, look after your tyres". It's not his game.

The biggest winner today? Formula 1. I haven't seen a race as good as that in the dry and looking at how the tyres and DRS are playing out, it looks like we will have plenty of these this season. We could be seeing a few more members wondering around by the end of this season. I'm so happy for F1 and Lewis. :) :1st:

What were the stewards doing, missing another blatant blocking move?

Vettel off the Start Line last week, now Button in the Pit Lane this week. ROFL

Seriously though, really good race ...... for all the tyre conservancy issues there was still a lot of very competitive racing going on out there today.

If Pirelli can just tweak the tyre compounds to make them last a little longer and cause a little less debris this could be a properly exciting season, unlike last year's over-hyped (especially by the BBC!) affair.

Also need Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault to get closer to RBR and McLaren ..... but I reckon there's a good chance of that.

It was tyres not the driver, I believe Lewis is fantastic but the race was dictated by tyres. Lewis managed his tyres superbly this weekend, better than Jenson in the last stint...

Martin Brundle said:
"Fresh tyres are more important than anything else"

A racing incident between Heidfeld and di Resta - no further action taken.

Now why wasn't that the decision last weekend, eh?

It was tyres not the driver, I believe Lewis is fantastic but the race was dictated by tyres. Lewis managed his tyres superbly this weekend, better than Jenson in the last stint...

No doubt the tyres were the cause of his speed, but his overtaking was superb regardless. We shouldn't take anything away, especially his move on Massa, who is so difficult to overtake. Also, i don't think it was management of tyres that made him quicker. One of the things with Pirelli's seem to be they either work or they don't. Lewis started his final stint way off the pace last week, Jenson did the same this week. There was no time for tyre management.

Also, got to agree its all a bit hard to work out what is going on in a race at the moment, the tyres are falsifying the results a bit and DRS should be taken off the cars..

It wasn't just that he looked after his tyres, it was because he made moves stick early on and got past people so he could then close the gap down on his next victim. He was like a predator out on that track. From looking at Webber's overtakes, as much as he did a brilliant race, he just sailed past people because it was pretty much 95% down to tyres. Hamilton overtook people that he wasn't vastly faster than, by pulling off brilliant moves.

On the note of people applauding Hamilton for looking after his tyres and Jenson self admitting that he kept on using up his tyres too quickly, do you think people might finally get off Hamilton's back about "destroying tyres"?

What was abundantly clear from the race though is that had Vettel been on a 3 stop strategy, he would have won it by a significant margin.

Mark's drive from the back to finish just a few seconds off the lead is proof of that.

I agree to some extent, but Mark was helped by running new SOFT tyres at the end, when everyone else was on used HARD tyres. He also got to run in clean air quite a bit for various parts of the race, whereas those upfront were constantly squabbling and thus using up their tyres more and losing time.

There is no doubt that Vettel would have had the quickest car, but if you look back at the race, Jenson was holding up Lewis on the first stint, no doubt about it, he didn't pull away whatsoever, so Lewis could have gone faster. Lewis then had to pit a lap after Jenson, which meant he lost a lot of time to Vettel because all 3 of their tyres were gone at that point. Lewis then got stuck behind Massa and was cleary being held up again, before he then got stuck behind his team mate again, before overtaking him. I believe if Lewis would have been running in clean air against Vettel, he would have given him a real good fight.

Back
Top Bottom