Grand Prix 2011 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So on to China, with the teams only having a few days rest after Malaysia. Last year Red Bull dominated qualifying with Christian Horner describing Vettel’s pole lap as “phenomenal”.

Come the race, however, changeable weather caught out both the Red Bull drivers and Lewis Hamilton as they pitted early expecting heavy rain. This left Jenson Button, who chose not to go in for inters, in the lead and he, along with Nico Rosberg and Robert Kubica who also stayed out on slicks, showed that it’s all about being on the right tyres at the right time.

The race should also be remembered for what looked like an astonishing start from Fernando Alonso. I watched it in an Italian hotel and the crowd literally went wild, only for the assembled throng to mope to the bar a few minutes later as Alonso was given a drive through penalty for jumping the start.

Button’s more mature tyre strategy won him the race, although he was under pressure late on from Hamilton, and the team scored their first 1-2 since Monza 2007 with Rosberg taking third for Mercedes.

2011 has been a Red Bull Fest, or perhaps more accurately a Vettel Fest, so far with the young German taking pole and race wins in the first two Grands Prix whilst his team mate has struggled with various car problems and, might I postulate, some psychological scarring from last season. McLaren are much closer than pre-season testing indicated they would be and Renault have surprised everyone with 3rd spot at both races and an ability to get off the start line reminiscent of the Benetton launch control system.

Ferrari are nowhere near where they feel they should and there will be many tired faces in their pit garage as managers and engineers flit backwards and forwards between Europe and the Far East trying to understand what is going on. Similarly Mercedes are still not even close to where they expect to be whilst Sauber and Force India are looking good for minor placings, dicing with the Toro Rosso’s.

Toward the back, Williams (it hurts me to say) look to have taken 1 step forward and 2 back with their new car and are now competing with Team Lotus to be the best of the worst. Virgin appear not to have moved any further forward compared to 2010 and HRT, despite no pre-season testing, look to have a car which, once a bit more sorted, might get ahead of them. I suppose the question there is can they sort the car?

Oh, I nearly forgot tyres. 55 pit stops in Malaysia, more marbles than a game of KerPlunk and rubber wearing out faster than Russell Brand’s bed sheets. No sign of the wet tyres yet, will Shanghai throw us a surprise (sorry, had to slip that in)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write-up, see here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/shanghai-international-circuit/

Brogan, realise it was a little Touretteish of me, just caught up on all the posts after getting called out for a PC fix. Each have their own topic, just wanted to get a few points out without a War & Peace submission.

war-peace.jpg

All 4 of Vettel's tyres were over the white line coming out of the final corner on his pole lap.
But the stewards/FIA have already set a precedent for that at Australia so it's obviously OK to drive outside the confines of the circuit.

A lot of talk from drivers about turn 1. Do we reckon Mclaren are quick enough to keep Seb behind even if they make it the turn 1 first? With the new rules it has become very difficult to keep a quicker car behind.

But the stewards/FIA have already set a precedent for that at Australia so it's obviously OK to drive outside the confines of the circuit.

Yes. At least they are being consistent. Or at least, consistently in favour of Red Bull.

Althougyh it feels like I'm ripping my own heart out throug my ruib cage Heidfeld's Q2 tactics reminded me of 08 when the BMW's would leave it late and get compromised. A shame as he clearly had some pace, watch out for off the start line though.

I totally agree with Hamberg about the new regs turning it into a endurance run. You know some thing isn't right when KOBAYASHI is letting people through because he's running a long strategy.

Kobayashi was actually letting people through in Brazil last year for example. Offensively, he's brilliant, but he doesn't tend to defend his line very hard if someone faster is behind him. I suppose he wants to stay in the race...

Kobayashi was actually letting people through in Brazil last year for example. Offensively, he's brilliant, but he doesn't tend to defend his line very hard if someone faster is behind him. I suppose he wants to stay in the race...
Agreed - although of course my opinion on him is slightly skewed. As you say, at Interlagos last year when Hamilton, Rosberg and Button got close to him, he let them go. There was no point ruining his own race, and in the end, it worked out for him, he pitted onto the softs towards the end and overtook, I think it was, the two Toro Rossos (passes which we never saw). So he is a good strategy player I think.

I agree with the general sentiment that F1 may be becoming too much of an endurance, because we want to see flat out driving and good, hard, clean racing, rather than people letting others by because it works for strategic reasons. But such is the way at the moment that you can't blame people for wanting to do that.

Oh and to think that Lewis is deliberately not going 100% during qualifying is truly an abomination to Formula 1. One of their best assets not being able to produce the kind of magic we know and love. Ridiculous.

Surprisingly, I'm still looking forward to this race. It would seem that drivers and teams are having to use a bit of lateral thinking to get where they want to be - not the ideal situation but could throw up some interesting racing.

Several drivers have said words to the effect that quali is not as important as it was before Pirelli - so that leaves racing, driver ability and strategy. All in favour of the first two, coupled with strategy it could be very interesting :)

Yes
Lewis could do nothing about Nick Heidfeld's Renault last weekend.

This is a good point. With Mclaren's straightline speed, the DRS might not help Vettel in this scenario. My hope is for a major KERS failure though or Engine blow up.

Can't wait for the race. 4 and half hours sleep to be had so better get my head down. So hope Vettel doesn't win.

Wonder what Webber can do if he hasn't got KERS. It might be another case of Webber overtaking only to be retaken due to no KERS.

The most likely battle that could produce intrigue is Lewis, Jenson. With Lewis' overtaking skills coupled with the DRS, i can't see him not having a go if he gets the opportunity.

Another great strategy mess up from Mclaren, why bring in Button before Hamilton if Hamilton had less grip?

Why on earth didn't Sebastian Vettel change to a three stop strategy. It really was a no brainer! He would have won by half a minute. :crazy:

What a drive from Mark Webber!

Back
Top Bottom