Grand Prix 2011 Chinese Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

So on to China, with the teams only having a few days rest after Malaysia. Last year Red Bull dominated qualifying with Christian Horner describing Vettel’s pole lap as “phenomenal”.

Come the race, however, changeable weather caught out both the Red Bull drivers and Lewis Hamilton as they pitted early expecting heavy rain. This left Jenson Button, who chose not to go in for inters, in the lead and he, along with Nico Rosberg and Robert Kubica who also stayed out on slicks, showed that it’s all about being on the right tyres at the right time.

The race should also be remembered for what looked like an astonishing start from Fernando Alonso. I watched it in an Italian hotel and the crowd literally went wild, only for the assembled throng to mope to the bar a few minutes later as Alonso was given a drive through penalty for jumping the start.

Button’s more mature tyre strategy won him the race, although he was under pressure late on from Hamilton, and the team scored their first 1-2 since Monza 2007 with Rosberg taking third for Mercedes.

2011 has been a Red Bull Fest, or perhaps more accurately a Vettel Fest, so far with the young German taking pole and race wins in the first two Grands Prix whilst his team mate has struggled with various car problems and, might I postulate, some psychological scarring from last season. McLaren are much closer than pre-season testing indicated they would be and Renault have surprised everyone with 3rd spot at both races and an ability to get off the start line reminiscent of the Benetton launch control system.

Ferrari are nowhere near where they feel they should and there will be many tired faces in their pit garage as managers and engineers flit backwards and forwards between Europe and the Far East trying to understand what is going on. Similarly Mercedes are still not even close to where they expect to be whilst Sauber and Force India are looking good for minor placings, dicing with the Toro Rosso’s.

Toward the back, Williams (it hurts me to say) look to have taken 1 step forward and 2 back with their new car and are now competing with Team Lotus to be the best of the worst. Virgin appear not to have moved any further forward compared to 2010 and HRT, despite no pre-season testing, look to have a car which, once a bit more sorted, might get ahead of them. I suppose the question there is can they sort the car?

Oh, I nearly forgot tyres. 55 pit stops in Malaysia, more marbles than a game of KerPlunk and rubber wearing out faster than Russell Brand’s bed sheets. No sign of the wet tyres yet, will Shanghai throw us a surprise (sorry, had to slip that in)

For Galahad's excellent circuit write-up, see here: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/shanghai-international-circuit/

Why didn't they have Lewis pit first seen as Jenson missed the stop? I guess there just wasn't time with Hamilton being right behind him, easy enough to read as far as the other teams are concerned anyway.

This was kind of lost in the drama of the race. Jenson didn't only cost himself time during the pit stop he cost Lewis loads as well. Lewis was meant to stop a lap before he actually did but because Jenson missed his stop the lap before he came in, Lewis had to go 1 lap longer and lost loads of time on ruined tyres and was passed by Massa.

This was kind of lost in the drama of the race. Jenson didn't only cost himself time during the pit stop he cost Lewis loads as well. Lewis was meant to stop a lap before he actually did but because Jenson missed his stop the lap before he came in, Lewis had to go 1 lap longer and lost loads of time on ruined tyres and was passed by Massa.

He still won the race tho - live and learn, they "probably" won't do it again ;)

When i heard about the new rules to help overtaking, my first thought was this could significantly help Lewis. After watching that last race does anyone else agree? The efficiency of his overtakes cost him barely any time at all. Most drivers took a few laps to pass with the DRS. Lewis didn't actually make any passes in the DRS zone from what i can remember. He just used it to get close then passed in subsequent corners.

Why didn't they have Lewis pit first seen as Jenson missed the stop? I guess there just wasn't time with Hamilton being right behind him, easy enough to read as far as the other teams are concerned anyway.
Presumably because the mechanics were ready for Jenson with his tyres etc, so to switch drivers so quickly would have been too risky, even if they had thought of it.

As far as I'm aware, once the mechanics are in the pit lane, they have to do a pit stop.
This is to stop dummy stops I believe and fooling the other teams, although I have no idea why that is perceived to be a bad thing.

Which is why the mechanics stood there for a whole lap rather than sit back down as the Red Bull guys did, who didn't actually enter the pit lane.

As far as I'm aware, once the mechanics are in the pit lane, they have to do a pit stop.
This is to stop dummy stops I believe and fooling the other teams, although I have no idea why that is perceived to be a bad thing.

Because they're safer in the garage, I think. And the drivers have to swerve around them all.

Anyway, looking at Rosberg and Massa, I think it's encouraging that as long as you're within about 1.5s of pole position in qualifying, you've got an outside chance of winning the race! When has anyone in F1 ever been able to say that before?

Because they're safer in the garage, I think. And the drivers have to swerve around them all.

Anyway, looking at Rosberg and Massa, I think it's encouraging that as long as you're within about 1.5s of pole position in qualifying, you've got an outside chance of winning the race! When has anyone in F1 ever been able to say that before?
It is a quirk caused by Red Bull being exceptionally quick in qualifying, their race pace has very rarely if ever matched their rather unusual quali' pace.

There is no way that they were 7 tenths a lap quicker than McLaren yesterday.

McLaren appear to have upped their game in the pits, whilst RBR appear to have been phased by Jenson's creative pit entry:

Lewis Hamilton

Jenson Button

Sebastian Vettel

Mark Webber

Nico Rosberg

Michael Schumacher

Back
Top Bottom