You're the Team Principle

McZiderRed

Champion Elect
Supporter
So, you are a team principle of a F1 team, let's call it, completely at random, Brawn. Going into the last two races, your two drivers are separated by 14 points. As a team principle, you have continually stated your desire to allow the drivers to race each other, and have been quoted that you would do so even to the detriment to your team, with the WDC going to another team's driver. That other team is Red Bull and their driver is only a further two points behind. A couple of mishaps, as have happened in the previous couple of races, could well land that Red Bull driver the championship…

Now, surprising as it may seem, but the above scenario is actually reality! In this reality, Ross Brawn has given an interview, stating he is trying to manage the tension between his two drivers…

From an autosport article http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79298

"I think you do what you can to minimise the tension and pressure that comes from being in this position, so I want to work diligently, intelligently and carefully," said Brawn. “…But that's as much as you can do …”
Is this the best way to handle the situation? Given that Brawn have already won the WCC (OK, they need ½ a point, but come on! They’ve won it!!), would it not look good in the record books, for Brawn to have won the WDC as well as the WCC. Brawn has indicated in previous interviews that he wants his drivers to race and presumably that’s the way they’ll go about winning the WDC.

So, back to the hypothetical premise I alluded to at the start of the thread. If you were the principle of the Brawn team, apart from having dodgy facial hair, you’d also have to decide on what would be the best way for the team to win both championships. The WCC is in the bag, but how about the WDC? Do you back one driver to win as the Red Bull is too close for comfort or is it too late for action and you'd have to live with how things are...

Would you;
a) let both drivers race 'till the bitter end,
b) call them in to a room to give one the bad news that he’s playing sidekick to the one who’s ahead,
c) wait to see how it pans out in free practice on the Friday at Interlagos and then decide,
d) it's too late now. Cross you fingers and hope.
e) you're the boss, you tell me what you'd do!

The team is yours! What do you do...? :popcorn:
 
Re: Your the Team Principle

Rubens and Jensen are too close to call in team orders just yet, either could win it.

IMO, I'd let them race in Brazil, as long as they didn't take each other out.

In Abu Dhabi if Vettel was no threat to either I'd let them race to the bitter end, calling in 'team orders' after the final pitstops. If Vettel was a threat I'd probably cross my fingers and hope.

Personally, its a tough call not one I would like to have to make. After years in Schumacher's shadow I think Rubens deserves it, but also Jensen for spending years in crap cars and being loyal to Honda (& Brawn this year).
 

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
It's a tricky one so I'm glad I don't have to make the call.

There are definite shades of 2007 about this though; subsititute Brawn for McLaren and Red Bull for Ferrari.

I think I would see how the next race goes and if it's not sewn up by then and Vettel is still in with a chance than I would probably call team orders at the last race.
That would depend on a lot of factors though; whether both drivers were still able to win the WDC, how they qualified, etc.

We go on about cheating a lot in this sport but aren't team orders just a mild version of that?

We saw it last year when Kimi almost stopped on the pit straight to let Massa past.
And the year earlier we saw Massa let Kimi past which ultimately won him the WDC.

Perhaps if McLaren had called team orders in 2007 then they would have had the last 2 WDC's :whistle:
 

GeoffP

Thank you and good night
Contributor
Well, here goes at being shot down.

In response to the original question I would go for (c), wait to see what happens at Interlagos. I think I would make it clear to my drivers that if the WCC was not closed at Interlagos, neither would their contracts.

After that, let's face it, they are a team. I don't think that should mean that Rubens should back the whole field up to allow Jenson to get ahead/catch up (delete as appropriate), but if a joint strategy helps get the results the team wants, then that will always happen, and if the cars are line astern, then at this stage in a series they should respect the teams desires.

Let's face it, it will happen anyway, sometimes the team might manage pit stops to hide it, other times the leading driver may have to stop for a picnic half way round, but it does always happen.

I believe the FIA should stand up and state that this is acceptable, maybe there should be criteria and the team lodge their intention prior to a race, who knows, who cares, as they're going to do it anyway why try to pretend?
 

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
GeoffP said:
Let's face it, it will happen anyway, sometimes the team might manage pit stops to hide it, other times the leading driver may have to stop for a picnic half way round, but it does always happen.

I believe the FIA should stand up and state that this is acceptable, maybe there should be criteria and the team lodge their intention prior to a race, who knows, who cares, as they're going to do it anyway why try to pretend?
Yes, it's a bit farcical when they're asked about team orders and they always give the answer "well I don't know if the drivers have come to a private arrangement or not"

Like you say, either do it and admit it or don't do it.

The problem as usual though is the FIA.
They know it's happening.
We know it's happening.
They know we know it's happening.
We know they know it's happening.
And yet they do nothing about it.

Sorry for the rant :D
 

fat jez

Race Winner
Valued Member
Brogan said:
Yes, it's a bit farcical when they're asked about team orders and they always give the answer "well I don't know if the drivers have come to a private arrangement or not".
Somehow I can't see Jenson and Rubens agreeing to anything while they are both in contention for the WDC LOL

Jenson only has to finish a place or two behind Rubens to secure it anyway, no need for him to try and get past him, which makes his life slightly easier. Still, as long as he doesn't do what Lewis did 2 years ago... :o
 

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
fat_jez said:
Still, as long as he doesn't do what Lewis did 2 years ago... :o
Or as long as Jenson's team mate doesn't do to him what Alonso did to Lewis in 2007 ;)
Remember Brazil where he literally pushed him off the track at the first corner?
 

fat jez

Race Winner
Valued Member
Brogan said:
fat_jez said:
Still, as long as he doesn't do what Lewis did 2 years ago... :o
Or as long as Jenson's team mate doesn't do to him what Alonso did to Lewis in 2007 ;)
Remember Brazil where he literally pushed him off the track at the first corner?
Yeah, but Jenson doesn't have to get in front of Rubens, just has to stick with him, which helps :thumbsup:
 

GeoffP

Thank you and good night
Contributor
fat_jez said:
Brogan said:
Yes, it's a bit farcical when they're asked about team orders and they always give the answer "well I don't know if the drivers have come to a private arrangement or not".
Somehow I can't see Jenson and Rubens agreeing to anything while they are both in contention for the WDC LOL

Jenson only has to finish a place or two behind Rubens to secure it anyway, no need for him to try and get past him, which makes his life slightly easier. Still, as long as he doesn't do what Lewis did 2 years ago... :o
That's true, unless they're 7th and 8th in both races and Vettel is winning, then I should imaging that Rubens will be asked to give way.
 

fat jez

Race Winner
Valued Member
GeoffP said:
That's true, unless they're 7th and 8th in both races and Vettel is winning, then I should imaging that Rubens will be asked to give way.
Very good point. :thumbsup:
 

teabagyokel

#dejavu
Valued Member
Brogan said:
Perhaps if McLaren had called team orders in 2007 then they would have had the last 2 WDC's :whistle:
What? Like, "Lewis, come in, your tyres are shot!" :snigger:

I could have imagined Alonso "letting" Hamilton past :no:


Brogan said:
There are definite shades of 2007 about this though; subsititute Brawn for McLaren and Red Bull for Ferrari.
I don't think there is quite the acidic situation there was in 2007 - if Barrichello is asked to play the dilligent ?2, I believe he has enough mental apparatus to avoid the box marked "Alonso"
 

Brogan

🦶 Leg end
Staff member
teabagyokel said:
Brogan said:
There are definite shades of 2007 about this though; subsititute Brawn for McLaren and Red Bull for Ferrari.
I don't think there is quite the acidic situation there was in 2007 - if Barrichello is asked to play the dilligent ?2, I believe he has enough mental apparatus to avoid the box marked "Alonso"
Yeah, I meant just in terms of positions and points.

If Brawn aren't careful then they could end up doing a McLaren.
 
Top Bottom