Your Top 10 Drivers of 2009

Brogan asked: Do they offer any explanation as to why Alonso is placed number 5?

I suppose the final paragraph explains it - "Yet Alonso's talent should not be judged in terms of hard results alone. Talk to any of the Renault crew, and they would tell you that Fernando is an inspirational figure and a valuable yardstick in the sense that if he cannot produce the results, then in all likelyhood the car is at fault"

So, did Alonso out perform the car significantly enough to justify 5th placing? Towards the end of the season it was obvious FA's mind was thinking about next season and his performances compared to a very poor Roman Grosjean were hardly scintillating. In my opinion I wouldn't have put him in the top ten based on this season's performance but then I'm not the editor.

Not to late to post my version I hope.

1. Jenson Button
2. Lewis Hamilton
3. Sebastien Vettel
4. Rubens Barrichello
5. Mark Webber
6. Kimi Raikkonen
7. Fernando Alonso
8. Nico Rosberg
9. Robert Kubica
10. Giancarlo Fisichella

ok, let me have a go too then :)

1. sebastian vettel
2. rubens barrichello
3. adrian sutil
4. giancarlo fisichella
5. jenson button
6. fernando alonso
7. mark webber
8. nelson piquet jr
9. felipe massa
10. kimi raikkonen

and maybe, just maybe... at place 9 3/4... michael schumacher!

bogaTYR said:

1. sebastian vettel
2. rubens barrichello
3. adrian sutil
4. giancarlo fisichella
5. jenson button
6. fernando alonso
7. mark webber
8. nelson piquet jr
9. felipe massa
10. kimi raikkonen

No Lewis Hamilton or Nico Rosberg but you've included Piquet Jr.

Seriously?

And Schumacher at 9 3/4? He didn't drive in 2009? :s

bogaTYR said:

1. sebastian vettel
2. rubens barrichello
3. adrian sutil
4. giancarlo fisichella
5. jenson button
6. fernando alonso
7. mark webber
8. nelson piquet jr
9. felipe massa
10. kimi raikkonen

I'm not quite sure how Nelsinho Piquet had a better season than anyone bar Badoer, but I assume he's been included to make Alonso look like a demi-God. How Giancarlo Fisichella got to 4th in any list is at best debatable, and did Barrichello not get beaten by a team-mate 3 places lower on your list? And no Hamilton, seriously, I know you don't like him, but how do you justify that?

Brogan said:
No Lewis Hamilton or Nico Rosberg but you've included Piquet Jr.

Seriously?

And Schumacher at 9 3/4? He didn't drive in 2009? :s

yes, seriously. i think that after seeing grosjean it is pretty obvious nelson was not so bad as most thought. plus in my world he showed determination, for a young kid... not bad. LH is not there cos i still have great problems with what happened in australia. rosberg was a tricky one. basically i wrote down the 10 names who i would put in a lost and rosberg for some reason did not even come to mind.

again, this is my personal list.

ah, 9 3/4... thats the platform where harry potter's train leaves... the stuff dreams are made of bro :)

teabagyokel said:
I'm not quite sure how Nelsinho Piquet had a better season than anyone bar Badoer, but I assume he's been included to make Alonso look like a demi-God. How Giancarlo Fisichella got to 4th in any list is at best debatable, and did Barrichello not get beaten by a team-mate 3 places lower on your list? And no Hamilton, seriously, I know you don't like him, but how do you justify that?

this is my list TBY, you don't have to agree with me. but i think grosjean showed nelson did not do bad at all. fisi got his place due to what he did for force india, i was and am deeply impressed by the results that team had and full marks to fisi for that. barrichello simply did not give up and kept on trying to get the most and showed grit. good man! to defend a lead is easier then to catch up when you're behind.

LH? ah, not my favourite indeed. but full respect, apart from what happened in australia. after that he does not deserve to be in any list anywhere. again, in my humble view :)

I think you're confusing "top 10 drivers" with "top 10 drivers I like" boga.

What happened in Australia is irrelevent when it comes to this list, it's all about the drivers' ability.

And considering your stance on Lewis Hamilton and Australia, how an earth do you justify Piquet Jnr after what happened in Singapore 2008?
Or doesn't that count because it happened last year?

Ditto for Alonso and his blackmailing of Ron Dennis in 2007.

Selective memory methinks.

Using the Autocourse criteria you can't really have Massa or NPj Boga as the drivers have to have completed the entire season but, obvioulsy, your opinion is your opinion and I'm not going to argue with that.

One problem I always have with the Autocourse Top Ten is that they invariably put the WC at No. 1. The one glaring exception to this is 1999 (the year Schumie argued with a barrier at Silverstone and lost) when Heinz-Harald Frentzen was No. 1 (yes, really). World Champion Mika Hakkinen was No. 2, despite scoring 5 wins to Frentzen's 2 and Ralph Schumacher was No. 3 with no poles, no wins and only 3 podiums. I know that years Williams was a bit of a dog but 3rd best driver, no way!

To be completely fair, Heinz-Harald Frentzen did have a stunning season in 1999. And again, if you compare to team-mates Ralf Schu in 1999 scored 35 points to Zanardi's none.

Interestingly, I managed to vault Kubica over Heidfeld despite Heidfeld beating Kubica over the season :embarrassed: ! Damn it!

bogaTYR said:
ah, 9 3/4... thats the platform where harry potter's train leaves... the stuff dreams are made of bro :)

I fail to see what kind of dream either seeing a great driver fail or him bore us all silly again is!?

bogaTYR said:
but i think grosjean showed nelson did not do bad at all. fisi got his place due to what he did for force india

I know this is not judged on the Drivers' Championship but 19 drivers scored points this year. These included Sebastien Bourdais, who drove an inferior car to Piquet and raced only one race less. And, imo, you can't get not score and be one of the best 10 drivers! Don't forget that Piquet had an off-season to prepare while Grosjean was thrown into the car cold. You must have factored that in or Fisichella's Ferrari performances would leave him nowhere near 4th!

It is also interesting that you want to execute Lewis Hamilton for lying at the Australian GP, but your dreams are made up of King Cheat returning to F1. Seems a little bit odd.

By the way, do you know who F1 Rejects reject of the year is? Nelson Piquet Junior...

Brogan said:
I think you're confusing "top 10 drivers" with "top 10 drivers I like" boga.

What happened in Australia is irrelevent when it comes to this list, it's all about the drivers' ability.

And considering your stance on Lewis Hamilton and Australia, how an earth do you justify Piquet Jnr after what happened in Singapore 2008?
Or doesn't that count because it happened last year?

Ditto for Alonso and his blackmailing of Ron Dennis in 2007.

Selective memory methinks.

most likely mate :) still, i think i got a good top 10 ;)

Back
Top Bottom