YOU BET GAME - 2018

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
Welcome to the CTA betting game. Gambling with fake money on the F1 races for the 2018 season.
If you like a bet with Fake Money or Brogans as they are called around here, you're in the right place.

Some big tweaks to the rules for this year so everybody is in the game right until the end. There will also be no huge wins in the first race which should help maintain the competition. And the penalty bet rule 6 is history. Each way bets are now more inline with actual betting shops. The big changes are highlighted in blue, see below for details.

2018 rules

1. Do you want to play? Just post a message saying I want to play and you are in.

2. In each round you can ‘claim’ an income of £20. You can do this automatically by simply placing a bet or If you wish to claim this income without spending it just post a message saying ‘Bank’. Failure to do this will result in you not receiving the £20. You can ‘bank’ as many £20 incomes as you wish to save for a larger bet at a future race. You can use as much or as little of this claimed income as you see fit.

3. Your bank account balance will include your income (per rule 2) and your winnings. This bank balance can be used in full or in part to place bets with and will run throughout the game. Even if you spend all your money you can still claim your £20 income in the next race.

4. To place a bet, post in this thread, stating your driver to win, your money and if you are betting 'each way'. Just remember each way bets cost double the stated amount. Please see the examples below.

5. Maximum 1 bet per round (or the spread sheet would get even more complicated)

6. All bets are on the winner. Each way bets can be placed at 1/5th odds for a place 1st - 4th. All winning bets are calculated by spreadsheet formula based on this wiki page. If you are unsure how each way betting works please see the examples below.

7. The odds are taken from a randomly chosen betting shop and will be posted as soon as available.

8. All bets must be in before midnight UK time, the day before 1st practice or they wont be counted. Watch out for Monaco, practice is on Thursday for some weird outdated reason that nobody can remember.

9. I will post everyone's balance only after the official race result is announced.

10. If your driver doesn't run in the race for some reason your money will be refunded.

11. The player with the most money at the end of the season is the champion and gets added to the wall of champions. Other 'special' awards will be given out at random for which ever reasons I see fit.

Wall of champions
2014 Fenderman
2015 Titch
2016 Greenlantern101
2017 Rufus McDufus

Example 1: Odds of 10-1
A £10 each-way bet on a 10-1 selection in a race and paying 1⁄5 the odds for a place 1, 2, 3 or 4 would cost £20.
  • Returns on the win part of the bet would be £10 × (10/1) + stake = £110
  • Returns on the place part of the bet would be £10 × ((10/1) × (1/5)) + stake = £30
  • Total returns would be £110 + £30 = £140 if the driver won the race, but just £30 if the driver only finished second, third or forth.
Example 2: Odds of 5-1
A £10 each-way bet on a 5-1 selection in a race and paying 1⁄5 the odds for a place 1, 2, 3 or 4 would cost £20.
  • Returns on the win part of the bet would be £10 × (5/1) + stake = £60
  • Returns on the place part of the bet would be £10 × ((5/1) × (1/5)) + stake = £20
  • Total returns would be £60 + £20 = £80 if the driver won the race, but just £20 if the driver only finished second, third or forth, meaning you would break even.
Example 3: Odds of 2-1
A £10 each-way bet on a 2-1 selection in a race and paying 1⁄5 the odds for a place 1, 2, 3 or 4 would cost £20.
  • Returns on the win part of the bet would be £10 × (2/1) + stake = £30
  • Returns on the place part of the bet would be £10 × ((2/1) × (1/5)) + stake = £14
  • Total returns would be £30 + £14 = £44 if the driver won the race, but just £14 if the driver only finished second, third or forth, meaning you would be down £6 from your initial stake money.
Here are the odds for Melbourne. Good luck.

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 14.22.18.png

Last edited:
I am in (I cannot possibly do any worse than last year LOL )

In this spirit of new found optimism, I shall spunk ß20 (the ß is for Brogans) on #44 Lewis Hamilton FTW!
I have "liked" this both for the use of the word "spunked" and for the symbol for Brogans.

The word "spunk", by the way, can be utilised as a descriptor for kindling. I used to really wind my Dad (English professor) up by telling him I was going to put spunk in the fireplace when my mother could hear; he had told me of the varient meaning.

Can you 'bank' part of your income per race and use the rest of the per-race income to back a driver?

Yeah. See rule 3. You get 20 per race and if you bet 10 I think the remainder gets carried over.

(Waits to be corrected by the Game God :D )

Yes spot on. You get £20 if you only spend a quid then the £19 left would be carried over in your bank account to the next round.

Back
Top Bottom