Winter Olympics

F1Brits_90

World Champion
anyone going to be watching the winter Olympics that unofficially began today with curling, that as a British person its law that you have to get emotionally invested in curling then forget about it for the next 4 years LOL

From a british point of view they have high hopes they are expecting our most successful olympics ever with potential for our 1st gold on snow & maybe to win 2 gold medals at the same olympics for the 1st time ever. for the 1st time since 2006 we dont have the soap opera of elise christie inevitable heartbreak as she was cursed at winter olympics , as she announce her retirement last month

i think Olympic history as the birds nest stadium will be the 1st that will light olympic flame in both summer & winter Olympics. & im really looking forward to the ski & snowboard cross, i find it a shame it only televised at the olympics as their is such great drama

I’ll be watching it, unlike the uyghur people.
yeah that will be a huge stain & alot like F1 you wish they would consider the human rights instead of the money. i dont like some of hypocritical stuff from the opening ceremony when they talk about inclusivity & standing together.

but like many people on social media say "keep politics out of sport" the Olympics have always political last 5 since 2014 have proven that & i would say that bar athens 2004, turin 2006, Vancouver 2010 & London 2012. every olympics since 1936 have all been hugely political. with boycotts, bans or human rights issues

I can accept F1 in relelively draconian states as it's a money based sport since Bernie took over, South Africa I believe was the only F! GP to be excluded on political grounds. The Olympics are not supposed to be a money based sport, though considerable cash is needed to host them, giving the Chinese two bites really is a step too far politically, we also ask why a country that is holding the games in a city where there is no snow seems to put the icing on the case of falsehood as Discovery again has the contract, the BBC will get the crumbs, so probably won't really watch much unless I have knowledge of specific UK interest

Last edited:
While the individual performances of the athletes is always brilliant to watch, we are now at the stage where the only way most of them can compete at the very top is through state funded or state managed programs. Granted the majority of UK funding comes from the national lottery, it's still epic sums of money.

Host nation selection is about as principled as a den of thieves. They talk about competition with peace and harmony but it's all rubbish. Pay the fee, be a good host and we won't make a fuss.

When talking about athletes from outside the UK:

"And the current world champions add an Olympic medal to their collection"

When talking about athletes from the UK:

"And the current world champions will be desperately sad to not finish in the top 3"

Why were the Winter Olympics given to a country which doesn't have any snow? Environmentally, these games must be an absolute disaster.

A horror show on so many different levels.

Why were the Winter Olympics given to a country which doesn't have any snow? Environmentally, these games must be an absolute disaster.

A horror show on so many different levels.
same reason the Olympics were sold to discovery 💰💰💰

its has been horrendous since Thomas Bach has taken over as IOC president things have gone hugely downhill from Jacques Rogge, as we have controversial Olympics going to china in 2015 which is political but then almost every olympics since 1936 has been but China is frustrating when norway the perfect hosts were bidding,

the weird situation of the 2024 & 2028 olympics where only 2 countries bid so automatically got Paris 2024 & LA 2028 won by default

then despite all the talk of inclusivity, commits the biggest crime of all & sold the olympics to pay tv

i wouldnt be surprised to see a salt lake city controversy brewing. in a few years

Last edited:
If it had to be held in China they could at least have held it in the Tibetan Autonomous Region.

Despite the probable multiple human rights abuses at least there's snow.

I rest my case:

Another GB world champion misses out:

"The 26-year-old, a strong favourite to add the Olympic title to her 2021 World Championship crown, finished third in her last-16 race."

I rest my case:

Another GB world champion misses out:

"The 26-year-old, a strong favourite to add the Olympic title to her 2021 World Championship crown, finished third in her last-16 race."

well we have always got to remember we are alfa romeo, we are huge underdogs at this, as i mentioned at the start we've never won more than 1 gold at a winter olympics & going into 2010 rhona martin was our success in last 6 olympics.

snowboard which is my favourite event is like short track speed skating can be an absolute lottery. she qualified 2nd, won her heat & was leading her quarter final, then the rider in the yellow has a desperate lunge takes the lead but also nearly falls over right in front of her & that action took all her momentum away. & it meant that we had all 4 finish within a tenth. that proven by other races italian fastest qualifer & 2018 gold medalist, also french 2018 silver medalist, both got taken out

but if anyone was going to win it im pleased lindsay jacobellis did because that moment from 2006 along with ed leigh commentary is iconic & puts a smile on your face to know. that after 16 years & at her final olympics she has redemption, albeit self inflicted

I don't think any country that has world champions in certain sports can be described as huge underdogs in those sports

Granted, across the whole Olympics we are underdogs but in some areas (Curling for example) we are among the world's best.

I don't think any country that has world champions in certain sports can be described as huge underdogs in those sports

Granted, across the whole Olympics we are underdogs but in some areas (Curling for example) we are among the world's best.
as a country we are underdogs, we only won 11 gold medals in winter olympics history. its not like summer olympics where we have medal hopes in everything. historically we have 2 events where we could win a gold skeleton & curling. Canada & Norway have won more olympic golds in previous olympics than we have in our history

Yeah, I completely get that. But my point is that in the winter sports we are good at, it seems that more often than not we cannot convert world championship medals into Olympic ones. Those competing at the sharp end of the Olympics are exactly the same as those they compete against in the World's.

For some reason the BBC called this "shocking" on the R4 sports bulletin today - Valieva failed drugs test confirmed

Personally, it would be more shocking if someone wasn't found to have been taking drugs at the Olympics, and the fact that it is a Russian is even less surprising.

Another point about this abomination of a sporting event, did you notice that the guest of honour at the opening ceremony was from a country not even formally competing at the games? If anyone tells you that sport and politics shouldn't mix, let rip a huge belly laugh and just walk away.

Back
Top Bottom