Poll Whose F1 careers should end at the end of 2022?

Whose F1 careers should end at the end of 2022?

• Max Verstappen

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Sergio Perez

• Lewis Hamilton

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • George Russell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Charles Leclerc

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Carlos Sainz

• Daniel Ricciardo

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Lando Norris

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fernando Alonso

• Esteban Ocon

• Yuki Tsunoda

• Pierre Gasly

• Lance Stroll

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Sebastian Vettel

• Zhou Guanyu

• Valtteri Bottas

• Mick Schumacher

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Kevin Magnussen

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Nicolas Latifi

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • Alex Albon

• Total voters
Riccardio it is very worrying where has his talent gone because we when he was at red bull he was 1 of the best drivers on the grid.

Riccardio it is very worrying where has his talent gone because we when he was at red bull he was 1 of the best drivers on the grid.
A driver is only as good as the performance he can extract from the car. He clearly can't get his head around the McLaren.

Then how would you describe Hamilton's situation at Mercedes?
He can't get the performance he wants from the car. Simples.

He's had years with a car that has had evolutions of the same engine and aero package. He now has a completely revised aero package to deal with.

Older drivers always lose some of their edge, that's a given. Russell is more able to drive around some of the issues and take slightly more risks.

Hamilton is still an incredibly good driver but he's in the twilight of his career. I think we can all accept that

I can acc
He can't get the performance he wants from the car. Simples.

He's had years with a car that has had evolutions of the same engine and aero package. He now has a completely revised aero package to deal with.

Older drivers always lose some of their edge, that's a given. Russell is more able to drive around some of the issues and take slightly more risks.

Hamilton is still an incredibly good driver but he's in the twilight of his career. I think we can all accept that
I can accept Hamilton is going to have to drive like Prost a bit more .

The argument he has had a dominant car so it was all too easy for him

if anyone was in doubt about hamilton that spanish GP drive silenced alot, the drive of the season so far. in the 3rd best car on the grid to get what shouldve been 4th beating the ferrari from where he qualified was a great result but do it from last was incredible

but he isnt at his best, but you expect that, in his 15th year & he's the 2nd oldest driver of the grid, 10th oldest world champion still racing since 1976 . interestingly he is older than Button, Alesi, Webber, Lauda, Massa & only a year younger than Prost

but on a sidenote, something that surprised me by Hungarian GP Riccardio will be older than Mika Hakkinen was when he retired. is riccardio past his best or did Hakkinen retire really prematurely

you only have to look at what bottas did in that car, to see it wasnt as dominant as is made out

Last edited:
I don't say that though. That's why I say a driver is only as good as his ability to extract the best performance from his car.

If it was purely about car dominance than every single world champions teammate should be second in the championship.

if anyone was in doubt about hamilton that spanish GP drive silenced alot, the drive of the season so far. in the 3rd best car on the grid to get what shouldve been 4th beating the ferrari from where he qualified was a great result but do it from last was incredible

but he isnt at his best, but you expect that, in his 15th year & he's the 2nd oldest driver of the grid, 10th oldest world champion still racing since 1976 . interestingly he is older than Button, Alesi, Webber, Lauda, Massa & only a year younger than Prost

but on a sidenote, something that surprised me by Hungarian GP Riccardio will be older than Mika Hakkinen was when he retired. is riccardio past his best or did Hakkinen retire really prematurely

you only have to look at what bottas did in that car, to see it wasnt as dominant as is made out
Hakkinen retried too early for sure but his motivation waned after 3 exhausting years 1998-2000 taking on Schumacher. The practice crash really took it out of him in Melbourne 2001. Strangely it was right time because Mclaren went downhill after he left so it was good move for him. If he had been in the Williams maybe they would have had more success with BMW power

I don't say that though. That's why I say a driver is only as good as his ability to extract the best performance from his car.

If it was purely about car dominance than every single world champions teammate should be second in the championship.
that is a rational assessment apart from the usual he's had the best and dominant car for the last 7 years

A driver is only as good as the performance he can extract from the car. He clearly can't get his head around the McLaren.
the new regs haven't helped him and he's trying to undo the driving style he had at Red Bull including his incredible braking abilities . He is not justifying his hefty salary

I'm surprised no one has voted for Max Verstappen. I think F1 needs to get back to real racing, and part of that requires ending the career of a fake world champion.

This article is brutal and it brings me back to when Horner said Ricciardo made a mistake leaving them pre season which was like a kick in the balls

So to be fair he was being brutally honest but then I think Verstappen would not have been world champion in 2021

as much there are quite a few people who have to take the blame for the fiasco of the season finale all well discussed. but verstappen isnt 1 of them he picked through the carnage of the final laps

no matter what we think of his character his talent is unquestionable

I'm surprised no one has voted for Max Verstappen. I think F1 needs to get back to real racing, and part of that requires ending the career of a fake world champion.
With his Dad around that wont happen because his Dad failed to live his dreams and that was largely because of Schumacher which he saw whilst he was at Benetton and never got the career breaks after that. If Max Verstappen did retire it would be akin to Flo-Jo retiring at the top - a champion with questionable credibility

Verstappen can only get rid of that if he wins more titles in less controversial circumstances

That presupposes that the teammate is also a first tier driver. A more accurate assessment can be done by looking what the second drivers achive when they are not in a dominant team. Look at Barrichello. Watch Bottas. Rubens only did well when the team was dominating (Ferrari with Schumacher and Brawn with Button). On his own he wasn't impressive. Bottas isn't exactly dazzling this season.

Rubens only did well when the team was dominating
Eh?

Until he found himself in a Ferrari with a "do not race your teammate" contract he'd never finished second to any of his teammates over a season.

He was brilliant in 94 for Jordan and for Stewart in 99. At Wlliams in 2010, saddled with that god awful customer Cosworth engine, he scored almost twice as many points as Nico Hulkenberg, the then reigning GP2 Champion.

If you need any more proof, at Donnington in 1993, while everyone rightly talks about Senna's opening lap, few people talk about how Barrichello did better. Starting 12th on the grid by the end of lap 1 he was fourth, having passed Schumahcer and with only Senna, Hill and Prost infront of him.

That presupposes that the teammate is also a first tier driver.
But that's my very point isn't it? What makes a someone a second tier driver? Someone who can't extract the maximum performance from the car.

Back
Top Bottom