Poll Who's gonna be quickest, Paul or The Hulk ?

Who's gonna be quickest, Paul or The Hulk ?

• Total voters

Greenlantern101

Super Hero And All Round Good Guy
Contributor
Now that Force India have at last announced their drivers, I was wondering how you think Paul DiResta and Nico Hulkenberg will compare in performance.

Me I'm not to sure, we have see Paul doing well and not so well against Sutil and we have seen The Hulk get a very impressive pole position in changing conditions. But he has had a year out...

Tricky call this I think. What does your gut tell you.

Hülkenberg (in 2010) and di Resta (in 2011) looked both average in their respective seasons in F1, both were beaten firmly by their team mates and apart from a lucky pole position none of them really had any highlights...

So even if it sounds a bit harsh on a rookie, but I think if I had to bring in Hülkenberg (even if I don't know why) at Force India I would have replaced Paul di Resta, as Adrian Sutil seems to be a pretty quick guy, who has more experience than Hülkenberg and di Resta together. I really don't like seeing Sutil ending up at Williams, he deserves better, but anyway, that counts for a lot of drivers...

I think Hulk will be angry, and ... etc. etc.

No, I think Hulk. I think he's younger and more talented. There's not a lot of room for German drivers in F1 - they don't bring much sponsorship because they're dwarfed by Der Zwei!

Firstly, great thread as this is the inter team battle I'm looking forward to most next season!

I think the Hulk will be faster next season. Di Resta has been good this season, but at tracks like Nurburgring di Resta couldn't get the best out of the car.

I think it will be very close between the two, but that Hulk will wind up slightly ahead at season's end. I also think both drivers will have to show consistently good form. Force India is on a steep upward trajectory, and if they perceive either driver to be impeding that, I don't think they will hesitate to replace one or both.

I really don't like seeing Sutil ending up at Williams, he deserves better
Oh how times change.

I think I'm swimming against the tide a little on this one as I've never rated Hulkenberg - he was comprehensively beaten in all areas by Barrichello in 2010: http://cliptheapex.com/pages/2010-head-to-head/

So I'm going to say di Resta, but not by much.

Still, this is why we run the team mates comparison game every year ;)

I personally think Hulkenburg will be faster in qualifying on a fairly regular basis, but it will be closer in the races. Paul will have an advantage with the Pirelli tyres.

I have to say I still think they made the wrong decision to drop Sutil. I think Sutil had a brilliant second half of the season and comprehensively beat Di Resta. I really do not see why Di Resta is getting so much hype. I know there's this thing of him beating Vettel some years back, but that means nothing to be honest.

Sutil had more than 1.5 times Di Resta's points. Surely if he was as good as some people were making out he'd have beaten Sutil or at least come closer to doing so. Look at Hamilton's first year, he wasn't just going up against a driver who is rated well, but a double world champion and probably the best driver on the grid at that point in time... and he beat him.

I know Hamilton had more testing time and everything and so maybe you could forgive Di Resta for taking half a season to get up to speed, but by going down that theory, Sutil seemed to out-perform him more during the 2nd half of the season.

I cannot say it was a rivalry that I followed in massive detail and therefore there may be some key points im missing out on - I just simply don't understand the hype. If I was a team boss right now, whether I be up the front-end or back-end of the grid, I'd rather have Sutil than Di Resta.

Inter-team battle = McLaren vs Ferrari
Intra-team battle = Paul vs Nico

Sorry. That bugs me out.

Back on topic. I think Hulk will be quicker. A faster qualifier and will beat Paul when conditions suit him. Paul will win over the course of a season with less eratic results. A bit like Lewis and Jenson this year, just further down the pecking order.

This partnership has the potential to be the best one on the grid next season. Not only will we see fireworks between these two but i really do think that this one will be to close too call next year. Paul will be determined not to let Nico get the better of him and Nico will be fired up to prove he deserves his spot in F1. But i reckon Paul might just get the better of Nico if he plays his cards right.

Inter-team = McLaren vs Ferrari
Intra-team battle = Paul vs Nico

Sorry. That bugs me out.

Back on topic. I think Hulk will be quicker. A faster qualifier and will beat Paul when conditions suit him. Paul will win over the course of a season with less eratic results. A bit like Lewis and Jenson this year, just further down the pecking order.

Also, as there are only two members of the team, shouldn't it be 'Who's gonna be quicker, Paul or the Hulk?'

And why will Paul be more consistent, I would say that last year Adrian was more consistent and in 2010 Nico was more consistent than Rubens. Just my opinion...

Personally I think di Resta will wipe the floor with the Hulk! I was distinctly underwhelmed with Nico in 2010, but Paul really showed some promise.

yes Di resta scored a whole 5 championship points more than Hulkenberg. You were impressed because you saw coverage of his season. Most of the time all you saw of Nico's season was him pulling to the side of the road in a cloud of broken Williams smoke

As Hulkenberg has driven in most of the Practice 1 sessions and the odd P2 session this season, I thought I'd compare his fastest laps to di Resta's when they were both driving in the same session. This isn't perfectly comparable as they may have had different run plans in Practice sessions but Hulkenberg does appear to be consistently faster:

CircuitHulkenbergdi RestaTime Difference
Shanghai1:41.4941:41.6100.116
Istanbul1:41.3471:43.5252.178
Montreal1:17.5491:17.2940.255
Silverstone1:48.5981:48.7300.132
Budapest1:25.3571:25.3360.021
Spa1:51.7251:51.7510.026
Suzuka1:36.7001:36.9490.249
Sao Paulo1:15.1781:15.2410.063

Back
Top Bottom