Poll Who's gonna be quickest, Paul or The Hulk ?

Who's gonna be quickest, Paul or The Hulk ?

• Total voters
If its that close between them all next season then we're in for some entertainment.

I think I said on another thread I can see tears and tantrums in this one too - neither of them want to be a number 2 so lets wait for the sniping to start and physc war-fare to start. Di Resta already had a whinge in Germany this year that its hard for him to get the full potential out of the car with Hulkenberg taking his seat on Friday's (despite the fact he was doing the exact same thing to Liuzzi the year before) so in some ways its already started.

My gut tells me that Nico will be quicker than Paul; based on what I saw of him in GP2, he's a better overtaker too - can anyone remember an overtake that Paul made this year?

I can't help recalling Nico's first season in f1. Every time the camera was on him he was falling off the track, spinning off the track, running into someone or recovering from an excursion. Add to that that the camera was on him a lot and multiple times during a lot of races I have to conclude that he is a bit of a loose cannon. Paul appears - on the face of it - to be a little more dependable in a race situation.

I can't help recalling Nico's first season in f1. Every time the camera was on him he was falling off the track, spinning off the track, running into someone or recovering from an excursion.

We saw Paul a lot more than we did Nico because Paul has a far better PR machine behind him. Also you might wanna check how many wing changes Mr Di Resta had replaced in the first half of the season.

You might be right about the Hulk being a 'loose cannon' but I remember a certain Mika Hakkenien being described as a loose cannon in his early seasons.

You might be right that Di Resta is more 'race dependable' but I remember David Coulthard being described as that in his early seasons too.

Paul made 51 overtakes this season. Are you telling me you can't remember any of them?!! :o
I can't recall any of Sutil's overtakes either but I think it's just down to Force India not getting that much TV time.

I can't help recalling Nico's first season in f1. Every time the camera was on him he was falling off the track, spinning off the track, running into someone or recovering from an excursion. Add to that that the camera was on him a lot and multiple times during a lot of races I have to conclude that he is a bit of a loose cannon. Paul appears - on the face of it - to be a little more dependable in a race situation.

I agree, Paul does appear to be a very dependable and consistent in the race. I think on the BBC they said he's completed the most racing laps of any driver which is pretty good in your rookie season.

It will be interesting, just like the Toro Rosso battle of the future. And I have a feeling both of the battles of Force India and Toro Rosso will go along the way it's been at Toro Rosso this year.

With Buemi coming out on top! :D

It will be close....or could it? Di Resta has done not bad this year, one annoying thing about Force India, is that they tend to split the strategies, so who knows, maybe Sutil benefitted this more than Di Resta, and maybe next season one of the two will benefit it more than the other.

Personally, I suspect that di rests will have an advantage- he has a season in f1 behind him, and can really hit the ground running this season- remember that prior to this season he had spent several years in the DTM- and look at how f1 drivers struggle to adapt to that series - so he was used to a very different type of racing... Owever, the hulk will be no slouch- expect it to be close, but I fully expect di resta to have the upper hand!

and look at how f1 drivers struggle to adapt to that series

To be fair most of the F1 drivers who go into DTM are drivers who's careers have ended and are probably there for the money so don't try too hard - unless you're telling me you think Half Schumacher genuinally cares about DTM? To be honest I do think the DTM series is somewhat hyped on its skill level - mainly by Di Resta's managment. Has their been another F1 driver who has come to the grid that way?

Nope - I'm fairly sure that di resta is the only driver to take the tin-top route into f1... One of the few drivers with a similar route would be a certain Michael Schumacher, who went through sportscars and then into f1.....

I think it will be even but as I said in the Paul Di Resta thread I hope Hulkenburg comprehensively beats him as the Di Resta hype machine needs a good boot up the arse.

Pretty sure Christijan Albers did DTM before F1, not necessarily the best example but still...

It didn't do Dario Franchitti any harm either.

I guess Franchitti is the best example you're going to get - why did he never come to F1? remains a mystery to me unless it was all about the money.

I guess the point I'm making is that where the Touring Car scene is concerned the level of competitivness rotates. In the 90's the British Touring car championship was the place to be now its the German one - however I'm yet to put my finger ona driver who has come through Touring Car to be a race winner in F1. The other way round but not that way.

Also whilst I'm sure this is not true of the majority of members here at Clip The Apex I question the amount of people who had even heard of DTM before the Di Resta hype machine came along and yet now they quote it as some alterative standard of excellence to GP2.

The point about the DTM is that it is very different to your regular touring car championship like BTCC. The cars are very sophisticated with complex aero, carbon chassis, rear-wheel drive obviously, lots of data logging, setup options and so on. The bodyshell is just about the only thing that makes it a touring car.

Mercedes clearly feel it's a good option to keep their young drivers sharp, and Audi have done the same with their Le Mans crews.

Back
Top Bottom