Grand Prix 2017 Mexican Grand Prix Practice, Qualifying & Race Discussion

Unlike most of the flow of border traffic F1 has crossed from Texas to Mexico. This Grand Prix has not been back for long but has already established as a firm favourite with fans on TV and at the track alike. The podium celebrations have always looked amazing and this year it should be even more spectuacular as this is likely to be the title decider. All Lewis Hamilton has to do is finished 5th or higher and 2017 is done and dusted. Even if he was off form it wouldn't be that difficult but in his current form I fully expect to see him on the top step, wearing a sombrero, telling us the Mexican fans are the best in the world and celebrating championship number 4.

Is a Lewis Hamilton win a forgone conclusion? Well I wouldn't bet against it. To be fair to Vettel he had a great race at Austin it was just that Hamilton and Mercedes were on another level. Its possible Hamilton will just coast it home in Mexico so as not to risk the title but it doesn't seem in his nature. Looking outside the top two and you have Kimi showing some form and Bottas dropping form and I can't see either of them winning. Both Red Bull drivers are on good form but Ricciardo will be starting from the back. I think both he and Verstappen will push the top two but I think a Red Bull win will only happen if we get something dramatic happening at the front. Max will of course be fired up after his penalty last week. This will either translate into amazing speed or a big accident.

The rest of the field are 40 to 50 seconds back and aren't really serious contenders for a podium that'll own a win. One to watch is of course home boy Perez. He's been out done by Ocon of late (even if he does moan that he's faster) but I expect his performance to go up a level because of the crowd. Round 2 of Renault wars will be on with Hulkenberg needing some serious catch up. Sainz performance in Texas made you wonder what Hulk and JoPal had been fannying around at all year. I expect to see the Reanult's dicing with the Force India's which is a step up. Another driver who will be up there is Felipe Massa as its contract time so he's found his form. KMag will continue his mission to annoy every driver on the grid and Torro Rosso have yet another different driver line up. Mclaren will be midfield and the commentary will tell you at least 3 times over the weekend that Alonso is driving the wheels off the thing and completely ignore Vandoorne pretty much matching times. The Saubers will also be there but still no one will care.

The question I want answering though is that if Hamilton claims the drivers title on Sunday, and with the Constructors already won, what will Hamilton do for the rest of the season? I think it will be one of 3 things.

a) A Nico Rosberg style shock retirement. Turns out his form has been so good and he's been so relaxed because he's already decided he was going.

b) Time for another holiday. He didn't need to be in London and he doesn't need to be at the final two Grand Prix. He goes off for an early break, Ocon takes the Merc drive for two races, Wehrlein the Force India, LeClerc the Sauber and everything is coming up Millhouse

c) He goes to the next two Grand Prix saying that both are two of his favourite tracks, that the next two races are for the fans, and he is really enjoying himself out there.

Sorry for the short write up (I'm moving house!) but I think I covered everything.

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 09.27.08.png

I just watched the drivers press conference. You know when something is dull it's described as vanilla. Well, take away the vanilla flavour and you have the drivers press conference.

Haven't watched one for ages. Do they still say the same old shit?

The drivers look like they are going to be fighting each other hard for the rest of the season. Thank goodness they and the Force India pair will give us something worth watching.

Vettel been taking his Hammy pills by the looks of it with a stunning lap for pole. Should Lewis be concerned that the other red car is sitting right behind him on the grid?

fair play what a lap by vettel. did what we are used to Hamilton doing over the few races as i mentioned alot. because i couldnt see that pole lap getting beaten when he put that mid 1:16 in. but nothing against riccardio i think he is an outstanding driver 1 of the best on the grid but what happened 9tenths today & seems a pattern as verstappen has had the upper hand in recent races. although i know he disappointed but its when not if Max gets youngest polesitter as he has still got whole 2018 season

yes vettel has pole not worried as even worst case Lewis being out of top 5. because of vettel lack of judgement in Singapore. even if lewis finishes 6th or 7th. Lewis doesnt even have to finish in brazil as if Vettel doesnt win in brazil its over

Vettel been taking his Hammy pills by the looks of it with a stunning lap for pole. Should Lewis be concerned that the other red car is sitting right behind him on the grid?
Hamilton and Vettel have both been stunning in qualifying this season. Whilst the Mercedes favours fast corner, the Ferrari prefers slow to low mid-speed corners. It's been proven again today.
Interestingly, Bottas is very close to Hamilton.

I wonder how much of Verstappens performance is down to the new engine. I'm rather unhappy about the fact that the Red Bull drivers aren't using the same machinery now, as it skews the data I was collecting and because the results won't reflect their true performance in comparison to each other.

Ideal Lap (sum best sectors) in the Qual:
Qual – No – Driver – Qual Result – Ideal Lap – Flaw
2 - 33 - M.VERSTAPPEN - 01:16,574 - 01:16,332 - 00,242
1 - 5 - S.VETTEL - 01:16,488 - 01:16,488 - 00,000
3 - 44 - L.HAMILTON - 01:16,934 - 01:16,642 - 00,292
4 - 77 - V.BOTTAS - 01:16,958 - 01:16,894 - 00,064
5 - 7 - K.RAIKKONEN - 01:17,238 - 01:17,177 - 00,061
7 - 3 - D.RICCIARDO - 01:17,447 - 01:17,192 - 00,255
8 - 27 - N.HULKENBERG - 01:17,466 - 01:17,285 - 00,181
6 - 31 - E.OCON - 01:17,437 - 01:17,308 - 00,129
9 - 55 - C.SAINZ - 01:17,794 - 01:17,445 - 00,349
10 - 11 - S.PEREZ - 01:17,807 - 01:17,540 - 00,267