Which 7 other races would you want BBC to have?

BBC will do the races with the best ratings - that's what the sponsors will demand and you know what they say about money walking... (I do still wonder if the sponsors will ask for half their money back, but that is for another thread)

The Americas races are the first three - Canada, USA and Brazil kick off at 6pm ish which is when audiences are at least 2m up on lunchtime races. I think then it is a few classic tracks (Spa & Monza) and the floodlit races would be my guess (Singapore and Abu Dhabi)

So I have

Great Britain
Monaco
Canada
USA
Brazil
Spa
Monza
Singapore
Abu Dhabi

Logic then says the season opener, but if that is Australia like this year at 7am, why waste one of your ten for 2m viewers.? Now if it were Bahrain opening the season, I think BBC News would have to go regardless (because it will be a political minefield), so might as well send Jake too.

My guess is we'll get the European races but five I absolutely want are
Spa
Interlagos
Canada
Australia
Suzuka

Other contenders -
Malaysia can throw an entertaining race if a monsoon hits after they've started
India is an unkown quantity so may be brilliant (or may not), likewise USA & I can see the Austin organisers wanting their much-hyped race to be free-to-view.
More importantly I don't want better tracks to be sacrificed for Bahrain & Valencia :sleeping:

Remember we won't get ANY qualifing at all so that changes my opinion of what I really would want to watch. As much as it is a fan favourite I wouldn't choose monza. You can usually watch the first lap then know the final result. Qualifying in Monza was more exciting for me anyway. unless it rains of course. Anyway,
Australia (Bahrain is a terrible opener)
Monaco
Silverstone
Indian (I am curious)
Spa
Canada
Brazil
Singapore
Japan
Germany/ Korea (not sure if Korea is good in the dry)

I'm fairly sure that the BBC will get, when it is one of their 10, the full race weekend, inc. FP1,2 and 3, qualifying and the race. That's what I thought, anyway.

I'm fairly sure that the BBC will get, when it is one of their 10, the full race weekend, inc. FP1,2 and 3, qualifying and the race. That's what I thought, anyway.
I heard we get the race live with the ten but regardless which race we won't get any qualifying or any free practice. i don't think we will get even highlights of qualifying, that stuff comes from sky. But don't quote me on that.

I think, if the BBC are smart, then they will leave the early morning races as highlights. So, I'm betting that Canada, US and Brazil will all be shown live. Whereas Australia, Japan, Malaysia, S Korea, India etc. Will be highlights.

If there is going to be the "I'll pick three and then you pick three" style of choosing then I would guess that the BBC have already had their first pick, namely, Britain, Monaco and the last race of the season (Brazil?).

I would guess that Sky will then be picking the next three.

Given that they are going to share facillities and costs, It won't matter if it's a double header or not as I guess they will be transporting roughly the same amount of equipment to each race.

The next thing of course is to spread the coverage through out the season so that the races aren't lumped together so I would assume there would be some agreement that there could be no more than 2 consecutive races live on the BBC.

With the BBC having the last race I would say that you could almost gaurentee that Sky will have the opening race of the season.

Does anyone think plumping for the last race of the season may turn out to be a bad move?

Not all championships run until the last race - could be a real duff race for the BBC to have with real low viewing figures

Does anyone think plumping for the last race of the season may turn out to be a bad move?

Not all championships run until the last race - could be a real duff race for the BBC to have with real low viewing figures

I beleive that the BBC are going to have low viewing figures regardless but yes, they could be left with a dead rubber.

Is Abu Dhabi the last race of the season for next year??? :shocked:

I thought it was going to stay at Interlagos for a while now...

Well I am not sure...this year has proven that the lesser tracks can out-perform the favourites.

I have Sky but I will give my two cents anyway.

The 7 I would pick would be:

Australia
Malaysia/Singapore
China
Canada
USA (the curiousity)
Spa
Interlagos

(I tend to find the races at Suzuka and Monza boring, classics they may be the races recently have been poor at both locations (along with Silverstone)).

If its not been made clear the other 10 would be delayed full race coverage if its true according to Autosport
but my personal 10 would be

Britain
Monaco
Abu Dhabi
Brazil - usually the title decider race

USa new track and Canada both these times start at 6pm anyway in the UK so utter lunacy if Bernie is gonna make use wait till 11pm to watch the races but one will suffer and I am afraid Canada even though its always a wild race

Japan GP maybe overlooked for Korea

Italian GP Ferrari fans

Australia GP - season opener

Singapore GP - for the fact its a night race and its novelty

India GP - there is a big community in Britain and the BBC will want this one

Depending where the money is I get the feeling Bernie will sacrifice Spa and other European races for Far east and middle east where the money is possibly

This stupid deal means he will show at least one race from
Abu Dhabi and Bahrain - most like Abu Dhabi becuase its end of season and new
Malaysia/ China/ Japan and Korea - Korea given new track
USA/ Canada - I think USA will get this one
Possibly one of the Spain/ Valencia
Spa is the big loser I fear

Surely, if given any choice, the BBC is not going to want to have races in the middle of the morning, so I think:

Australia, Malaysia, China, Bahrain, Japan, Korea and India are out.

That would make sense to me!

Surely, if given any choice, the BBC is not going to want to have races in the middle of the morning, so I think:

Australia, Malaysia, China, Bahrain, Japan, Korea and India are out.

That would make sense to me!

What makes sense to you but think about it to get people hooked to the season the BBC need a few opening races so the morning races will have to be shown

so Australia plus 1 out of Malaysia or China

Bahrain is actually on in the afternoon so there is no problem there

Japan or Korea at the end of season..given Korea is a new circuit then they maybe more reason to show this

India - 1/3 Britain are Asians and the BBC want to show it caters for ethnic minority to so it will show this race

Bernie will make sure there is at least one race from each continent so the BBC will show at least one GP from Southeast Asia which you've excluded them all. I;d rather not have Valencia and Barcelona for a start because they are rubbish races even Hungary unless its wet.

Spa is going to suffer because they;ve had money troubles over the years with paying Bernie.

Monza may win over Germany because of Ferrari then again only Bernie knows which other 7 he will give the BBC

I think there is a problem there, you'd stick it in the "No" category because it is not going to take place.
The Bahrain Gp actually starts at 12 noon but more recently starts at 1pm British time so there is no problem with it being viewed.

AS for going back there The Crown Prince will happily throw more money at Bernie to get the race back there after this year's embarassment. Also the race representative was at Silverstone at the British GP this year and said they would have done a better job than Silverstone which I find amusing. At the end of the day money talks and thats what will get Bernie's interest

Back
Top Bottom