Where to for Mark Webber?

To shift this back on topic.......... I think Mark will "retire" at the end of this season - he had a bloody good run at the title last year despite not being fully supported by his team and as he himself said "not bad for a number 2" and unfortunately that is all he'll be at Red Bull.

I suspect he has a lot of useful information about how the current Red Bull works. So I doubt RBR will be particularly keen to lose him and if he did leave someone is bound to make him an offer he can't refuse.

I can't say I understand this talk of Webber as a washed up has been only capable of driving a zimmer frame.

5 - 10 years ago he would be seen as being in the prime age for an F1 driver with the right balance of skill, experience and drive. Unfortunately the last few years have skewed our impressions of the optimal age for a driver and I think that can be placed squarely at the door of Lewis Hamilton and his unprecedented first year showing. It is easy to forget that both Senna (Toleman) and Schumacher (Jordan) took a couple of year or two to start making a regular impact and force the casual viewer to take notie of them.

I still see Webber as a natural number 2 but he's still some way from retirement.

I get the feeling that if Webber wants to stay on, with the knowledge he is bound to have accumulated at Red Bull, another team will take him on but I can't see it being one of the top 6 teams somehow. I just don't see Red Bull keeping him for another year.

Is he still managed by Briatore? Most of the drives he has got in the past were due to Flavio "placing" him and I think the Red Bull drive was due to Briatore's Renault connections. Perhaps replacing Trulli at Lotus is not too great a leap of imgaination.

Mark Webber got in to F1 very late in his career and is now 34 and that is past prime.

He's older and taller than Nick Heidfeld for goodness sake!

Were he to have had a more illustrious career and a WDC, prolonging it may be a little easier but it is going to be - as it always has been for Mark - an uphill struggle.

To shift this back on topic.......... I think Mark will "retire" at the end of this season - he had a bloody good run at the title last year despite not being fully supported by his team and as he himself said "not bad for a number 2" and unfortunately that is all he'll be at Red Bull.

Can you prove that? Red Bull where equal all the way to the last race....why would the team fully support him if he comes up with mind games, bad mouthing the team etc.

He has caused problems at Jaguar and Williams...the only reason he didn't get dropped last year is because he got the media on his side...

If any other driver did what Webber did to their team...they would be out...and we have seen it happen...he was lucky he got the sympathy from most notably the British media and fans

Back
Top Bottom