What Now For Lewis Hamilton?

NNNoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

They've got way to many toys as it is! A racing driver, just like a taxi driver, needs skill, experience and knowledge. Otherwise I could do it...

Proximity censors! arghhhhhhh noooooo - lets not turn the sport even more into a playstation game!

Just to make it clear on my last comments - I have no problem with Lewis Hamilton's driving style or him as a person I was just a bit dissapointed with the comment yesterday and just so this isn't taken out of context that the FIA are picking on Lewis I'd like to remind everyone that Lewis is not the first to be the stewards fave to bring in after the race. From Schumacher to Senna and Moss to Mansell they all had reg trips to the stewards office - it comes with the territory of being a top class driver and pushing it to the limit

Soon there will be automated driving, finger on button kind of stuff.......I say go more old school, bring back controversy and let the racing be man and machine instead of Machine with an operator.

Back on topic - what next for Lewis Hamilton, Canada, pure and simple, he had a 'mare by the seaside but he's old enough to put that behind him and get on with the job in hand, maybe he's learnt a few lessons from last weekend regards strategy and PR but I fully expect him to just carry on doing what he does best at a circuit that (on paper) should suit his car/skill set.

Back on topic - what next for Lewis Hamilton, Canada, pure and simple, he had a 'mare by the seaside but he's old enough to put that behind him and get on with the job in hand, maybe he's learnt a few lessons from last weekend regards strategy and PR but I fully expect him to just carry on doing what he does best at a circuit that (on paper) should suit his car/skill set.

The week break will help him cool off a bit, that said we don't race on paper and I think he needs to find a way of unerving Vettel or this will be a short season.

In my cynical suggestion the second part of the sentence is a punchline to what is maybe a too subtle a pun. For that I apologise and will henceforth break the gag down into simple parts with an explanation thereof:

"No reason why they couldn't have proximity sensors." I thought eyes, pit to car comm's and mirrors would suffice, really

"I mean they are fitted to a lot of road cars as standard kit." I thought F1 technology should filter to road cars not from.

"Just a shame such aids may be needed to replace drivers spacial awareness" Some drivers have it, some don't, apparently.

I promise to be more obvious in the future.:)

I've just seen a great article talking about Hamilton's punishment by the Stewards and particulary his coming together with Massa. It is written by Andrew Davies on PlanetF1.com, and it takes a different angle on the whole saga than I have seen anyone else. His comparison to the incident between Hamilton and Webber at Singapore last year, is spot on. Enjoy:-

"Lewis Hamilton, McLaren 6th
It's very rare that I can listen to Lewis Hamilton moaning after a race and think, well yes, he's absolutely right. Today was one such occasion. The language he couched his complaint in was not great. He knows full well that you can't use that 'f' word 'live' on television. Unless you're going to follow it with ...lickin' chicken.

It's true, right from Saturday qualifying Massa was messing about. Drivers know that if another car is following them that there are certain places to get out of the way and Massa could have got off the throttle going up to Beau Rivages and let him pass, but he chose to make it more difficult and get out of the way at the very last moment.
I can remember races at Monza where people have waited that long to get out of Massa's racing line (in fact it was probably Alonso at Renault in the Alonso vs Schumi days) and been penalised. It wasn't an actionable obstruct, but it was getting that way.

During the race Lewis minded his own business through Sainte Devote, allowed Petrov past him without getting stupid and was rammed by Schumacher in the first corner. Later in the lap, Michael pulled a demon move on him and he accepted that he'd been overtaken and didn't fight.
Michael returned the compliment, giving Lewis room when he came past him at the last minute into Sainte Devote on Lap 9. It was good, hard racing.

When Hamilton tried to get past Massa at the hairpin on Lap 33, Massa simply closed the door. They replayed the footage from Hamilton's car and you can see Massa move his helmet to look in the mirrors. Then Massa took an unusually tight angle into the hairpin when Lewis was already launched into the move. Massa knew what was coming and he made the accident even worse.

If Mark Webber is not going to be penalised for crashing into Hamilton midships like he did in Singapore - the event being put down to a racing incident - then there's no way Lewis should be penalised for what happened at the hairpin with Massa today and certainly not with Maldonado at Ste Devote.

Driver stewards were supposed to solve all this, but Alan McNish either had brain fade or was overruled or they're running on a new set of rules for 2011 divorced from the 2010 season (NB surely they can get someone better qualified to judge F1 than McNish whose major career was in sportscars. How long is it before we get Perry McCarthy or Tiff Needell as the driver steward?).

It's no surprise that Lewis thinks he's being got at by being penalised for these incidents. He is. On the evidence from Monaco there's clearly one rule for him and one rule for everyone else.

What makes it even more ridiculous is the incident between Sutil and Kobayashi going into the Mirabeau. Kobayashi comes from way too far back, completely misjudges the move on the Force India, gets nowhere near Sutil before he thumps his left front wheel into Sutil's right rear. Yes, not even alongside before turn-in! He pushes Sutil wide, damages his car and takes the place. After the race he's only reprimanded. He did the equivalent of a touring car kiss and got away with it. Madness.

In football you have to accept that referees make mistakes because they make decisions in the blink of an eye. In F1 they can see replays and make decisions hours after the race. You don't need four cameras, telemetry or driver testimony to work out that Kobayashi stuffed up Sutil's race good and proper by a crap attempt at overtaking.

Do we want Kamui to stop trying? No. Do we want Lewis to stop entertaining? No. But as Lewis opined, he's trying to put on a show and when a genuine racing move fails to come off he gets penalised for it.

As always, Lewis was electric to watch. Listening to him was much harder."

The FIA rulebook resembles differential calculus to me,....a bunch of this that and what the hell is going on here.........I think the FIA is to blame for the somewhat crapy state of affairs, that said RED BULL are dominating whichever way to sunday.

I forgot about the Webber Hamilton incident at Singapore. Thanks for the reminder. I still think it was right to penalize him for the Massa move as di Resta's move was similar but there is no way he should have been penalized for Maldonado. So of course he feels victimized - in the heat of the moment is when we say how we truly feel when our inhibitions aren't in control.

What's that old saying - there's no smoke without fire. Whether one feels it's because of racism is a matter of opinion but Lewis maybe thinks so...

I think they're waiting for stewards consistency. They'll be waiting a while. Kobayashi should have been penalised too.

I posted the Webber/Hamilton Singapore video yesterday.
http://cliptheapex.com/threads/2011...g-and-race-discussion.2729/page-31#post-52014

Having had a chance to review video footage and stills from Monaco, it's hard to disagree that in both cases, Massa and Maldonado could have left more room or not turned in as tight, just as Hamilton and Schumacher did when they were passed.

The inconsistency from the stewards is the same as it's always been, so no change there.

I posted the Webber/Hamilton Singapore video yesterday.
http://cliptheapex.com/threads/2011...g-and-race-discussion.2729/page-31#post-52014

Having had a chance to review video footage and stills from Monaco, it's hard to disagree that in both cases, Massa and Maldonado could have left more room or not turned in as tight, just as Hamilton and Schumacher did when they were passed.

The inconsistency from the stewards is the same as it's always been, so no change there.

But then the inconsistancies work for everyone, so I would not say that they are picking on anyone.

I've just seen a great article talking about Hamilton's punishment by the Stewards and particulary his coming together with Massa. It is written by Andrew Davies on PlanetF1.com, and it takes a different angle on the whole saga than I have seen anyone else. His comparison to the incident between Hamilton and Webber at Singapore last year, is spot on. Enjoy:-

"Lewis Hamilton, McLaren 6th
It's very rare that I can listen to Lewis Hamilton moaning after a race and think, well yes, he's absolutely right. Today was one such occasion. The language he couched his complaint in was not great. He knows full well that you can't use that 'f' word 'live' on television. Unless you're going to follow it with ...lickin' chicken.

It's true, right from Saturday qualifying Massa was messing about. Drivers know that if another car is following them that there are certain places to get out of the way and Massa could have got off the throttle going up to Beau Rivages and let him pass, but he chose to make it more difficult and get out of the way at the very last moment.
I can remember races at Monza where people have waited that long to get out of Massa's racing line (in fact it was probably Alonso at Renault in the Alonso vs Schumi days) and been penalised. It wasn't an actionable obstruct, but it was getting that way.

During the race Lewis minded his own business through Sainte Devote, allowed Petrov past him without getting stupid and was rammed by Schumacher in the first corner. Later in the lap, Michael pulled a demon move on him and he accepted that he'd been overtaken and didn't fight.
Michael returned the compliment, giving Lewis room when he came past him at the last minute into Sainte Devote on Lap 9. It was good, hard racing.

When Hamilton tried to get past Massa at the hairpin on Lap 33, Massa simply closed the door. They replayed the footage from Hamilton's car and you can see Massa move his helmet to look in the mirrors. Then Massa took an unusually tight angle into the hairpin when Lewis was already launched into the move. Massa knew what was coming and he made the accident even worse.

If Mark Webber is not going to be penalised for crashing into Hamilton midships like he did in Singapore - the event being put down to a racing incident - then there's no way Lewis should be penalised for what happened at the hairpin with Massa today and certainly not with Maldonado at Ste Devote.

Driver stewards were supposed to solve all this, but Alan McNish either had brain fade or was overruled or they're running on a new set of rules for 2011 divorced from the 2010 season (NB surely they can get someone better qualified to judge F1 than McNish whose major career was in sportscars. How long is it before we get Perry McCarthy or Tiff Needell as the driver steward?).

It's no surprise that Lewis thinks he's being got at by being penalised for these incidents. He is. On the evidence from Monaco there's clearly one rule for him and one rule for everyone else.

What makes it even more ridiculous is the incident between Sutil and Kobayashi going into the Mirabeau. Kobayashi comes from way too far back, completely misjudges the move on the Force India, gets nowhere near Sutil before he thumps his left front wheel into Sutil's right rear. Yes, not even alongside before turn-in! He pushes Sutil wide, damages his car and takes the place. After the race he's only reprimanded. He did the equivalent of a touring car kiss and got away with it. Madness.

In football you have to accept that referees make mistakes because they make decisions in the blink of an eye. In F1 they can see replays and make decisions hours after the race. You don't need four cameras, telemetry or driver testimony to work out that Kobayashi stuffed up Sutil's race good and proper by a crap attempt at overtaking.

Do we want Kamui to stop trying? No. Do we want Lewis to stop entertaining? No. But as Lewis opined, he's trying to put on a show and when a genuine racing move fails to come off he gets penalised for it.

As always, Lewis was electric to watch. Listening to him was much harder."

I really wouldn't pay attention to that article, Andrew Davies is one of the most baised journalist ever, the rest of that article is just a farce, he goes on to say that Petrov was feigining injury and must have felt embarrassed when the doctors said he had no serious injuries, when Petrovsaid he couldn't feel his legs, seriously?? What an imbecile! I have to say I am really baffled to read this. For starters, Petrov did not cause the crash as he claims. Secondly, he had suffered through a bad accident and he's lucky to come out unscathed out of it. He then blames Petrov for ruining the race! Totally incensitive to blame Vitaly for ruining it.

This guy has tendency to never find a fault in Hamilton or Button, he constantly makes either of them "Star of the race" or gives them "overtake of the race" when there is clearly someone who has done a better job with one or two exceptions.

This is one comment under the article, with the most recommends that I have seen in that article :

"This assesment of Monaco "winner/loser" is a total fail...massively biased and written in an imature and very unprofessional manner and tone it proves to me for the thousand time this site is run by people that need to grow up....calling Vettels win a ridicilous fluke,Lewis Hamilton a winner and Alan Mcnish decision a "brain fade" can only be justified by the fact that the people working on this site are kids that still have some growing up to do"

He also goes on to criticise Massa's move in Australia against Button...now I remember Hamilton doing something similar and he called it "great" and "fair.

Seriously....:crazy:

(Sorry for the rant guys)

I really wouldn't pay attention to that article, Andrew Davies is one of the most baised journalist ever, the rest of that article is just a farce, he goes on to say that Petrov was feigining injury and must have felt embarrassed when the doctors said he had no serious injuries, when Petrovsaid he couldn't feel his legs, seriously?? What an imbecile! I have to say I am really baffled to read this. For starters, Petrov did not cause the crash as he claims. Secondly, he had suffered through a bad accident and he's lucky to come out unscathed out of it. He then blames Petrov for ruining the race! Totally incensitive to blame Vitaly for ruining it.

This guy has tendency to never find a fault in Hamilton or Button, he constantly makes either of them "Star of the race" or gives them "overtake of the race" when there is clearly someone who has done a better job with one or two exceptions.

This is one comment under the article, with the most recommends that I have seen in that article :

"This assesment of Monaco "winner/loser" is a total fail...massively biased and written in an imature and very unprofessional manner and tone it proves to me for the thousand time this site is run by people that need to grow up....calling Vettels win a ridicilous fluke,Lewis Hamilton a winner and Alan Mcnish decision a "brain fade" can only be justified by the fact that the people working on this site are kids that still have some growing up to do"

He also goes on to criticise Massa's move in Australia against Button...now I remember Hamilton doing something similar and he called it "great" and "fair.

Seriously....:crazy:

(Sorry for the rant guys)

Hit the nail on the head.............ouch!

Ok Lewis is quoted as saying this when called into the stewards office to explain his comments

".....what I said was a bit of a joke, which wasn't funny at the time.
"I made them aware that when emotions are high, and it's very intense at the end of those kind of races, you don't always say the right thing, and the joke didn't come at the most appropriate time."

Glad he came out and said that - Hopefully we'll all move on from that now, would hate for him to be remember for that.

Back
Top Bottom