Vitaly Petrov

Vitaly Petrov started racing when he was 17 unlike most top drivers he started racing late and not in go-karts, but Lada cars. In 2002 when racing in the Lada Cup he dominated the championship, winning all rounds and amassing the maximum points possible of 500.

So the talent was there.

In 2003, Petrov began racing in Formula Renault, racing in the Italian Championship for Euronova Racing, finishing 19th overall. He also competed in some rounds of the Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0.He also finished fourth in the British Formula Renault Winter Series at the end of the year, taking one win.He also made his debut in Euro Formula 3000 at Cagliari.

Not a great first sseason in single seaters.

However in 2006 he had a more promising year. He raced in Euroseries 3000 with Euronova Racing. He finished third in the standings, scoring nine podiums in eighteen races including four wins at Hungaroring, Mugello Circuit, Silverstone Circuit and Circuit de Catalunya.Also he participated in the Brno round of the 2006 F3000 International Masters season, where he took a pole position.

After that, he had inconsistent seasons in GP2, racing there for 3 years, he came good in 2009
and finished as runner-up to the dominant Nico Hülkenberg in the championship, winning twice at Istanbul Parkand Valencia Street Circuit.

He then made his debut in Formula 1 for Renault, he had the "pay driver" tag over him, in his first two races he looked good for solid points, but had DNF's for various reasons. In the 2010 season he was inconsistent just like the most of his career, he showed flashes of brilliance, but made a lot of crucial errors. His career seemed to have gone, but managed to put in a strong performance in the last race. Some may say that it was that performance that saved his seat, others may say it was because of the sponsorship he brought.

The 2011 seems to be a more consistent season for him and seems to have dropped the "pay driver" tag, putting in a blinding race in Australia getting his first podium in Formula 1. He has had a lot of strong performances this season, his qualifying has been his main asset.

I find Petrov an exciting driver, I had liked him 2010 but I had major doubts over him as he seemed to have a very poor 2010 season and thought that the sponsorship kept him his seat. However, I have changed my opinion in 2011, he seems like a racer, he's got balls, he's quick in qualifying and is proving to be consistent. For me, the most improved driver on the grid from 2010.

What do you guys think about Vitaly Petrov?

This whole Petrov situation just makes me feel more sorry for Jerome D'ambrosio if I'm honest

Its because there is a race in Russia agreed for 2014 and that is the pulling power to get more Russian sponsorship and exposure into F1 and off course helps if there is a recognised Russian driver

Ambrosio am afraid was at the wrong place at the wrong time

so following the quote from his manager that inspired this article

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/182393/1/petrov_linked_with_trio.html

basically saying Petrov was in talks with 3 other teams as well as Caterham and they were going to sort his seat out for next season much earlier than last year - we now have this article

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/183347...tm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Where his manager is basically saying Vitaly may have to quit F1 as no one is interested in a Russian F1 driver and Vitaly doesn't have a title sponser. She says its hard to sell an athlete in Russian and even harder to sell an F1 driver. With the Russian GP coming up in 2014 that does not sound good at all and I wonder if Bernie is going to play his hand again as he's shown a keen interest in Petrov staying in F1 because it woould create a bigger buzz round the Russian Grand Prix. If Petrov goes I can't really see another Russian driver on the horizon. There is a 19 year old Nikolay Martsenko who may be Russia's next F1 driver currently in the 3.5 series but his best result in that is still only a 5th place and a recent 18th at the Moscow Raceway probably did little to excite the Russian public about him.

More importantly though I don't think Vitaly has done too bad this season. He's certainly kept up with Kovi and given him a far better run for his money than Trulli did. Its so competitve now for a spot on the grid and it shows you have to have backing.

I miss Vitaly :(

Dukes.jpg

Back
Top Bottom