Vitaly Petrov

Vitaly Petrov started racing when he was 17 unlike most top drivers he started racing late and not in go-karts, but Lada cars. In 2002 when racing in the Lada Cup he dominated the championship, winning all rounds and amassing the maximum points possible of 500.

So the talent was there.

In 2003, Petrov began racing in Formula Renault, racing in the Italian Championship for Euronova Racing, finishing 19th overall. He also competed in some rounds of the Eurocup Formula Renault 2.0.He also finished fourth in the British Formula Renault Winter Series at the end of the year, taking one win.He also made his debut in Euro Formula 3000 at Cagliari.

Not a great first sseason in single seaters.

However in 2006 he had a more promising year. He raced in Euroseries 3000 with Euronova Racing. He finished third in the standings, scoring nine podiums in eighteen races including four wins at Hungaroring, Mugello Circuit, Silverstone Circuit and Circuit de Catalunya.Also he participated in the Brno round of the 2006 F3000 International Masters season, where he took a pole position.

After that, he had inconsistent seasons in GP2, racing there for 3 years, he came good in 2009
and finished as runner-up to the dominant Nico Hülkenberg in the championship, winning twice at Istanbul Parkand Valencia Street Circuit.

He then made his debut in Formula 1 for Renault, he had the "pay driver" tag over him, in his first two races he looked good for solid points, but had DNF's for various reasons. In the 2010 season he was inconsistent just like the most of his career, he showed flashes of brilliance, but made a lot of crucial errors. His career seemed to have gone, but managed to put in a strong performance in the last race. Some may say that it was that performance that saved his seat, others may say it was because of the sponsorship he brought.

The 2011 seems to be a more consistent season for him and seems to have dropped the "pay driver" tag, putting in a blinding race in Australia getting his first podium in Formula 1. He has had a lot of strong performances this season, his qualifying has been his main asset.

I find Petrov an exciting driver, I had liked him 2010 but I had major doubts over him as he seemed to have a very poor 2010 season and thought that the sponsorship kept him his seat. However, I have changed my opinion in 2011, he seems like a racer, he's got balls, he's quick in qualifying and is proving to be consistent. For me, the most improved driver on the grid from 2010.

What do you guys think about Vitaly Petrov?

Not strictly about Petrov but considering recent comments noteWorthy.

James Allison as called Renaults exhaust system a "Bold faliure" and the car a dissapointment
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96345

Autosport seems to hired an exDaily Mail writer for its headlines being over the top and sensionalist has as the one about Petovs interview. Niether says anything we don't already know.....With out it actually being said.

Two ways you can take this, Bouillier has an us and them attitude, and there's more dissentants in the ranks that are not happy. Or (and more likey) there is regonition within the team that the Car is an issue and reading inbetween the lines less todo with drivers then perhaps the boss is presumed to think?

anyway storm in a teacup is how id describe yesterday. And more a frustrated driver, then the all out meltdown in realations a lot of media was trying to suggest.

Well, well, well. So Russia and Renault have their own Lewis Hamilton. Will the Beeb fill huge chunks of the next GP race coverage airtime dissecting every nuance of Vitaly's comments and Renault's internal problems? Oh, maybe not ... it's all over. A mere distraction.:thinking:

I really like him. I liked him last year. I didnt realise he'd started driving so late, which shows he really is talented. He seems a nice guy as well. Outspoken? Good lad! I dont like corporate cardboard cutouts.

Yeah I liked him last year too, he had some poor luck on his debut when he was in the points, Australia he was running well and spun himself, but by the end of the season I felt he should have been out even though I liked him. Proved me wrong this season, and I was ever more impressed by his way into F1.

If a guy in his late teens to 22, and want to be in F1 but think they can't, think they should look at this guy.

Although, having some nice Russian backing does help a bit :D

Problem is their current car is a stinker so unless they put a lot of hard work in during the winter it won't matter if its Raikkonen/Kubica or Alliot/De Cesaries.

In other news I've heard that after hearing that Kimi was coming back that both Renault engineers and Pirreli production staff have been reduced to jibbering wrecks over the recalculations they have to do

Petrov was not listed on their entry despite having a contract. Got to mean he's out on his ear surely?

If not its hardly a vote of confidence is it?

Looks like Petrov's contract wasn't worth the paper it was written on; he has been replaced by Grosjean.

I'm not so sure that's a good swap for Renault/Lotus/Whateverthey'recalledthesedays.

Well I have to say after his podium in Australia this year Petrov has gone down hill for me so not surprised to see him go. Whether Grosjean will turn out to be any better I don't know but must say he was impressive in Free Practice.

Whichever way you look at it though the new Kimi/Grosjean pairing is much stronger(on paper) than Petrov/Senna or even Petrov/Heidfeld.

This news will cause a few drivers even those with contracts for next year.
Petrov has considerable financial sponsorship so no doubt Frank Williams is taking a good look.
Marrusia might even consider finding a seat or a Russian driver in a Russian team.

Sounds like Grosjean had bigger backing than Petrov did with the Total deal.

Would not be surprised to see Petrov suddenly turn up at the Williams garage if he still has his backers as I think he's worth more than Sutil. Doesn't have the talent of Sutil though.

Looks like one of Sutil and Petrov are without a drive... Doesn't seem right. Peteov has done well in my book. Its not his fault the car design hit a glass ceiling...

This news will cause a few drivers even those with contracts for next year.
Petrov has considerable financial sponsorship so no doubt Frank Williams is taking a good look.
Marrusia might even consider finding a seat or a Russian driver in a Russian team.

Frank Williams is not in charge of running the team anymore though he is a major shareholder. Adam Parr appears to be calling the shots

If Petrov can get some rich Russian oil billionaire to back the team then he could turn the seat in his favour...even the Russian government to back him..though may not please the Austrian owners of the team

Back
Top Bottom