Valencia Test

Clearly BMW should have built a better engine, and Ferrari need to review the quality they supply their customers, else they run the risk of getting burned. LOL

The site keeps going on the blink, or is it just me? :dunno:

Clearly BMW should have built a better engine, and Ferrari need to review the quality they supply their customers else they run the risk of getting burned. LOL

Having read several books where teams have been supplied Ferrari engines (books such as Forza Minardi!!) they have a nasty habit of running brilliantly and then mysteriously not doing so well when a team get's a little too close to the red cars for comfort.

Kobayashi, Hamilton, Rosberg and Massa have been doing long runs for a while now, with Lewis appearing to be doing very long runs indeed. He has done 89 laps compared to 65 and 64 for Rubens and Felipe respectively. Lewis has been knocking around in the mid 12's, Felipe in low 12's, Nico in the 13's and Rubens in the 14's.

Hopefully someone will publish some lists of times for the longer runs, I was very lucky last year with the Brawn. It was immediately evident from long run times that they were way ahead of the pack from the first test. It took weeks for the media to catch on that is wasn't low fuel and sponsorship phishing.

Kobayashi isn't hanging around. I know comparison between cars is pretty meaningless at the moment, but nice to see him put down such a competitive time anyway. :)

I thought Vettels engine problems stemmed from the Red Bull being (as per usual from Newey) designed right on the edge of reliability, so that it's cooling wasn't as good as the renaults, causing overheating problems, and has anyone else noticed that the air intake on the Merc makes it look rather piggy?

AlexM said:
Kobayashi isn't hanging around. I know comparison between cars is pretty meaningless at the moment, but nice to see him put down such a competitive time anyway. :)
Indeed.
He could be the wildcard for next season, throwing up a few surprises.

I suppose by the end of testing we'll have a pretty good idea where each car is as I suspect all of the teams will have done some low fuel runs by then.

Unless there's some sandbagging going on...

I am fairly confident we will see a lot of and tell a lot from low fuel runs. Because there are so many competitive teammates they will all be trying to assert themselves and win psychological battles. Felipe is clearly on a mission and who can blame him.

With intrateam competition this tight there is no place for sandbagging in 2010.

Brogan said:
Unless there's some sandbagging going on...

I doubt anyone is going to show their full performance on a first test, unless they are so confident that the other teams couldn't possibly catch them.

1. F. Massa		Ferrari	F10	1:11.722	 	78  	pit
2. K. Kobayashi Sauber C29 1:12.056 +0.334 64 pit
3. L. Hamilton McLaren MP4-25 1:12.256 +0.534 95 pit
4. N. Rosberg Mercedes GP W01 1:12.899 +1.177 68 pit
5. R. Barrichello Williams FW32 1:13.377 +1.655 65 pit
6. R. Kubica Renault R30 1:13.659 +1.937 65 pit
7. S. Buemi Toro Rosso STR5 1:14.862 +3.140 74 pit

McLaren have been running with the Flourescent paint again leading some to speculate that the car is off their predicted pace. Though McLaren maintain that this it's not indicative of anything, they just want to confirm their projected data.

Speculation that Lewis is now running heavy with fuel, his last stint was run in the 1m29s! If he is that slow with fuel on board he is going to be in a lot of trouble. :nah: It is more likely they are testing with that flourescent paint again... :bored:

A few minutes later a rather Googled translation:

Did you recently Lewis Hamilton out on track with the diffuser paraffin soaked green as we saw last year! Problems at McLaren?

1. F. Massa		Ferrari	F10	1:11.722	 	120  	pit
2. K. Kobayashi Sauber C29 1:12.056 +0.334 94 pit
3. L. Hamilton McLaren MP4-25 1:12.256 +0.534 107 pit
4. R. Kubica Renault R30 1:12.426 +0.704 115 pit
5. N. Rosberg Mercedes GPW01 1:12.899 +1.177 112 pit
6. R. Barrichello WilliamsFW32 1:13.377 +1.655 95 pit
7. S. Buemi Toro RossoSTR5 1:13.849 +2.127 102 pit

In the closing minutes of the test both Robert Kubica and Sebastien Buemi encountered problems and needed to be towed. Bringing to an end the 100% reliability record for the 2010 testing season. It lasted 13 hours and 57 minutes.

Remarkably there has been no reports of anyone binning it or damaging their car so far this test. Which indicates quite clearly that the teams are short of chassis and spare parts. :yes:

Looks like the Renault team are starting to get to grips with their car.

I don't think it's quite "hands to panic stations" for Mclaren just yet. Only .5 of a second off the fastest lap and the car seems reasonable.

STR look like they are going to be swallowed up by at least one of the new teams but of course we won't know anything until they start hitting the track in the next few weeks.

As for Williams, are they the first team to run the new Cosworth? I don't think we've said much about that so far but it's dosn't look so bad. Two days reliable running and lap times in the middle of the pack. Bet the "newbies" are glad to see that.

cider_and_toast said:
As for Williams, are they the first team to run the new Cosworth? I don't think we've said much about that so far but it's dosn't look so bad. Two days reliable running and lap times in the middle of the pack. Bet the "newbies" are glad to see that.
I don't think it's the power that's such an issue on the Cosworth, more the fuel economy.

I wonder if we'll see anyone running out of fuel this season :D

Perhaps we already have... :thinking:

Some observations, unqualified leanings and leanings toward predictions:

If McLaren are doing some head scratching then it is fair to assume that Mercedes are not in a state of euphoria. I suspect that both Ferrari and Sauber will be very pleased with their testing so far.

Although Renault have posted a respectable time it was done in what was refered to by one commentator as the "happy hour". Which was cut short by the Renault stopping on track.

The Williams doesn't appear to have hit the track running - as it did last year - which doesn't bode well... as they have really lagged behind in developing the car during the season recently.

McLaren may well be a lot less than delighted since this type of track is the very type that last years car thrived on. Giving them even more cause for concern than would usually be the case. If they still haven't sorted the fast corner deficiencies then there is going to be some restructuring going on and not necessarily with the car. :bored:

Back
Top Bottom