Total Driver Performance

F1 Shift.net

Points Scorer
TDP and Stats post Canada:

TDP7.jpg

Stats7.jpg

Quick question. Does Hamilton benefit in TDP by being classified P24 in qualifying at Spain? Or does it hurt him because of Avg. Qualifying position?

Quick question. Does Hamilton benefit in TDP by being classified P24 in qualifying at Spain? Or does it hurt him because of Avg. Qualifying position?

It hurts him in terms of qualifying average, but it probably helped him in terms of average positions gained/lost. It's not a perfect formula because the qualifying positions used for the metric are after penalties and I don't take into consideration mechanical failures, ect. It just blends together average points scored per race and average possible positions gained for each driver. Gives a broad scope for which drivers are performing best through the season.

Average does not work unless you account for anomalies. Perhaps using a different method of calculation or giving each driver one or two jokers to play would give a truer picture.

I know some of you guys have seen the formula before, but let me try to explain it so you all can get a better idea.

So it takes ((average points scored per race divided by 25). That is added to (average positions gained/lost divided by average qualifying position minus 1))). That total is then divided by 2 to get the TDP.

Again, it's not a perfect formula and I'm not sure there is a perfect formula, but I think the suggestions of using the median could work. Thanks for checking it out and the suggestions. If you'd like to me keep posting these, I'll add them after each race, just let me know if there is interest to keep it up.

I think it would be interesting to see how each driver performs throughout the season - it is a good indicator of driver performance (nearly as good as it can be).

Back
Top Bottom